Accessing websites on Ancient iPad 1

Hi all,

I have this dinosaur relic of a 32 gig iPad 1 lying around, and am trying to avoid resigning it to paperweight duty. Problem is, basically all apps worth their salt don't support iOS 5 any more, and many websites don't load properly in the native version of Safari or in ye olde version of the Google Search app I have on the device. Are there ways for me to try to either update the device past iOS 5, or do you know of any browser I could use that will load more websites properly.

| 2014 Retina MacBook Pro 13" |

My gaming desktop -- |Intel Core i7-3820 | ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | 16gb 2133mhz G.Skill Ripjawz X | ASUS DUAL GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | Fractal Design Define R5 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm HDD | SeaSonic 760XP2 | Xigmatek Gaia CPU Cooler | LG22MC57HQ 1080p Monitor | Azio MGK1 Keyboard | Logitech G300s Mouse | HyperX Cloud Headset | Windows 10 Pro Insider |

10 minutes ago, mwthomas10 said:

Hi all, I have this dinosaur relic of a 32 gig iPad 1 lying around, and am trying to avoid resigning it to paperweight duty. Problem is, basically all apps worth their salt don't support iOS 5 any more, and many websites don't load properly in the native version of Safari or in ye olde version of the Google Search app I have on the device. Are there ways for me to try to either update the device past iOS 5, or do you know of any browser I could use that will load more websites properly.

Family friends had an old iPad one a few years back that eventually became a paperweight for the same reason. You'd have to ask Apple to unlock the bootloader so you can install some variant of Linux on the iPad, otherwise it'll remain limited to apps that are still published which support iOS 5... so very few, if any.

20 minutes ago, RedDeath_ said:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/puffin-web-browser/id472937654

Try Puffin Browser, it renders the page on the cloud and is super fast. It used to be completely free but I don't know if that changed (might be a subscription now). 

Requires iOS 8.0 or later.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 7/9/2021 at 12:58 AM, kirashi said:

Family friends had an old iPad one a few years back that eventually became a paperweight for the same reason. You'd have to ask Apple to unlock the bootloader so you can install some variant of Linux on the iPad, otherwise it'll remain limited to apps that are still published which support iOS 5... so very few, if any.

Requires iOS 8.0 or later.

Yeah I haven't found any that still have versions cached supporting iOS 5. I wish there was some browser that existed to let legacy devices chug through rendering modern websites, even if it took forever.

| 2014 Retina MacBook Pro 13" |

My gaming desktop -- |Intel Core i7-3820 | ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | 16gb 2133mhz G.Skill Ripjawz X | ASUS DUAL GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | Fractal Design Define R5 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm HDD | SeaSonic 760XP2 | Xigmatek Gaia CPU Cooler | LG22MC57HQ 1080p Monitor | Azio MGK1 Keyboard | Logitech G300s Mouse | HyperX Cloud Headset | Windows 10 Pro Insider |