Steve Wozniak calls out former employer Apple for their stance against Right to Repair

NotTheFirstDaniel

Summary

In a video directed towards Louis Rossmann, Steve Wozniak, a co-founder of Apple, spells out his grievances against Apple specifically about their stance against Right to Repair. Wozniak, a subscriber of Rossmann's, recalls Apple's success in the early days with the Apple II, claiming that Apple wouldn't be as successful as it is today without the openness of the Apple II and it's architecture. Back in the day, Wozniak would go as far as to include a schematic in the box of every Apple II. 

He ends the video with the statement "Is it your computer, or is it some company's computer? It's time to start doing the right things."

Quotes

In the video, Woz goes on to illustrate how the prevalence of open-source tech was instrumental to many of his and Apple’s early breakthroughs

Of course. the irony here is that even though Woz hasn’t been an official Apple employee since he left the company in 1985, Apple along with other major tech giants like Microsoft have been some of the biggest players in the fight against the right to repair movement

Apple, for its part, has vigorously fought right to repair initiatives in the U.S. and abroad, lobbying against bills that would expand consumer repair options beyond first-party services and company-authorized facilities.

My thoughts

I don't know if this belongs in general discussion or if this belongs in tech news. If a mod wants to move it to general discussion, I'll completely understand, but I thought that since this is tech, and technically "news" (A person like this supporting right to repair in the way he called out Apple should be news), I'd post it here.

First of all, the irony. It's just funny how the co-founder of Apple is calling out Apple decades later for not respecting the repair industry. But Woz has always been a quaint man in my opinion. He never saw dollar signs, he saw fun and joy out of his products. That's what, in my opinion, makes him so wholesome. Someone who actually cares about the industry, and isn't in it for the money, fame, or power.

Hopefully this, including with the awaiting directive from the POTUS, puts the Right to Repair movement in the mainstream, enough for people to donate to the cause, and enough to make it a direct ballot initiative. That's what we want. That's the fastest and easiest way to pass something as big as a Right to Repair Act. With big names like the POTUS and the literal inventor of one of the most successful computer lines ever being in support of Right to Repair, maybe millionaire donors will donate to the cause, because from what I hear, direct ballot initiatives cost a lot of money especially when you are dealing with the biggest names in technology, Apple, Google, and Microsoft, who can afford to spend billions lobbying against it.

Sources

Steve Wozniak Supports the Right to Repair Movement (gizmodo.com)

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak is a right to repair advocate | AppleInsider

32 minutes ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

I don't know if this belongs in general discussion or if this belongs in tech news. If a mod wants to move it to general discussion, I'll completely understand, but I thought that since this is tech, and technically "news" (A person like this supporting right to repair in the way he called out Apple should be news), I'd post it here.

with the awaiting directive from the POTUS, puts the Right to Repair movement in the mainstream, enough for people to donate to the cause, and enough to make it a direct ballot initiative.

maybe millionaire donors will donate to the cause, because from what I hear, direct ballot initiatives cost a lot of money especially when you are dealing with the biggest names in technology, Apple, Google, and Microsoft, who can afford to spend billions lobbying against it.

I really hope we don't get political about this topic now... 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

21 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

I really hope we don't get political about this topic now... 

I wouldn't say this is getting political. Getting political is talking about specific people/parties. The POTUS will have a directive on this. Right to Repair has been lobbied against. These aren't politics, they're just facts.

But, to preserve the thread I can clean the post up a bit at a mod's request.

Just now, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

I wouldn't say this is getting political. Getting political is talking about specific people/parties. The POTUS will have a directive on this. Right to Repair has been lobbied against. These aren't politics, they're just facts.

But, to preserve the thread I can clean the post up a bit at a mod's request.

Still sounds like it skims the line of politics as The President and lobbying are associated with, well you guessed it, politics. 

On the other hand, I'm surprised that Wozniak spoke up about the Right-to-Repair movement and how Apple's business practices are usually against this. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450