Can a bad/failing PSU cause software issues?

Go to solution Solved by Caennanu,

A powersupply can not directly cause software to fail. However, software is nothing more than a set of instructions to execute and expect a return on the execution. When the execution becomes corrupted, which CAN happen due to power issues, the software will fail depending on the severity. So yes, a malfunctioning powersupply can and will cause hardware and thus software to perform suboptimal.

If you want to compare it to a real life situation. Say you're driving on a road, a road needs to be paved right? Well, over time the pavement starts to deteriorate and cause pudholes. Now see the road as your power delivery. Where when it was all new you had no pudholes that could damage your car (software) you now, 7 years later, have many pudholes which can, but not always will, damage your car.

So I have a couple games crashing on me, sometimes during heavy load, sometimes when simply doing an install or while just idling. (ARK, Valorant, Sea of Thieves, Apex Legends etc.)
I reached out to some of my community members and friends and there seems to be a consensus that it wasn't just the games that's acting up but also the PC itself which was built 7 years ago. I agree. 

However some of them said it could be a bad power supply. 
This baffled me. how can a power supply, that carries no data and only supplies pure voltage to the components cause games to crash? Is there such a thing? 
Granted it is a locally sourced part that came with my v. cheap case and it isn't exactly rated nicely or anything. But I can't wrap my head around how a psu can affect software. 

Can anyone shed some light on this?

You still have a 4.2ghz OC on your CPU? I have had trouble with my overclock since the latest windows update and bios update, Me firmware etc. I would just try running everything stock and see how it goes. Also 4.2ghz on a 2600 isn't really noticable in game anyway. Auto PBO should be similar or better in most instances. PSU should be fine. If you still have issues after resetting to defaults, reinstall windows, if still issues, you could RMA PSU. Should take 14 days or so with EVGA.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

A powersupply can not directly cause software to fail. However, software is nothing more than a set of instructions to execute and expect a return on the execution. When the execution becomes corrupted, which CAN happen due to power issues, the software will fail depending on the severity. So yes, a malfunctioning powersupply can and will cause hardware and thus software to perform suboptimal.

If you want to compare it to a real life situation. Say you're driving on a road, a road needs to be paved right? Well, over time the pavement starts to deteriorate and cause pudholes. Now see the road as your power delivery. Where when it was all new you had no pudholes that could damage your car (software) you now, 7 years later, have many pudholes which can, but not always will, damage your car.

Gamesystem: X3700, 32GB memory @3200mhz, GTX1080 Hybrid

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

If you're running an overclock on the CPU, RAM, or graphics card then that is more likely causing the issues. Remove the OC and see if the problems persist. If the problems still persist try updating or rolling back your display drivers since it's happening when playing games.

You should rule out all of the typical causes of such problems first.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

It's far more likely to be RAM or CPU instability.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply