HOW DO I FIX MY STUPID WIFI?!

Voditz

So, i got a new router installed in my room and I was very happy because it fixed my poor speeds after a year or so BUT it presented another problem! Now my laptop doesn't get full signal even though I am in the same room as my router! This is a big issue for me as I play a lot of online games and due to this low connectivity i get high ping and packet loss. Any suggestions on how i can fix this?

Easiest and cheapest would be to use a cable. But i can understand that not always be an option...

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

The first step people usally do when having a bad wifi signal, is to get a new router;repeater.

But most of the time, a good wifi chip might actually help you more than that.

Id suggest to look up your laptop model, and search for supported wifi cards, look up on ebay for a used one that has good specs, and install it.

5 minutes ago, Haraikomono said:

The first step people usally do when having a bad wifi signal, is to get a new router;repeater.

But most of the time, a good wifi chip might actually help you more than that.

Id suggest to look up your laptop model, and search for supported wifi cards, look up on ebay for a used one that has good specs, and install it.

ok sure. i'll try that. thanks!

8 minutes ago, Voditz said:

yeah but i cant do that since the router is on the other side of my room

You can't run a cable to the other side of the room? Quite a few methods for hiding it and you'll never have to deal with WiFi again. 

Ryzen 7 7800x3D -  Asus RTX4090 TUF OC- Asrock X670E Taichi - 32GB DDR5-6000CL30 - SuperFlower 1000W - Fractal Torrent - Assassin IV - 42" LG C2

Ryzen 7 5800x - XFX RX6600 - Asus STRIX B550i - 32GB DDR4-3200CL14 - Corsair SF750 - Lian Li O11 Mini - EK 360 AIO - Asus PG348Q

If possible check the router settings, see if you can adjust the following. (May help you out)

- Change chanels (Some support scanning to find an empty channel, which helps with the noise/speed you are seeing)

- Change Channel width, pick only 20 not 40/80. Again may help with your particular laptop

- Turn down power on the router, so the radio is not broadcasting at such a high level. Some laptops have issues with a strong signal

These are some of the items that can be looked at, since it sounds like you may have done some other simple things already.

Get WiFi 6 all around, or at least a WiFi 6 router. Even WiFi 5 devices will benefit from the better signal strength and reliability.

Use separate SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5GHz bands, and only put high priority devices on the 5GHz band. Reserve the 2.4GHz band for IoT and lower priority devices like eReaders and such. This reduces chatter on the 5GHz band and leads to better latency.

Use the QoS settings of your router to further shape the traffic.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

If above steps do not help.

Explain in FULL detail how you have your network configure/setup.
(As in full model names of router and notebook, maybe even info on whats in front of router etc).

The more info you give the better the help can be.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

2 hours ago, Voditz said:

Now my laptop doesn't get full signal even though I am in the same room as my router!

2 hours ago, Voditz said:

yeah but i cant do that since the router is on the other side of my room

... so, the router is in the same room or not ?

As @dkoudijs said, check the channels, you might be on a channel with lots of interference, that's often the case with unstable wireless networks.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

4 hours ago, dkoudijs said:

If possible check the router settings, see if you can adjust the following. (May help you out)

- Change chanels (Some support scanning to find an empty channel, which helps with the noise/speed you are seeing)

- Change Channel width, pick only 20 not 40/80. Again may help with your particular laptop

- Turn down power on the router, so the radio is not broadcasting at such a high level. Some laptops have issues with a strong signal

These are some of the items that can be looked at, since it sounds like you may have done some other simple things already.

I changed the channels(didnt help) but didnt change the width. i will try doing that and let you know if it helped.

3 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

... so, the router is in the same room or not ?

As @dkoudijs said, check the channels, you might be on a channel with lots of interference, that's often the case with unstable wireless networks.

yes the router is in the same room just a few feet away from my laptop

2 minutes ago, Voditz said:

yes the router is in the same room just a few feet away from my laptop

So why is a cable not possible ?

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

4 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

If above steps do not help.

Explain in FULL detail how you have your network configure/setup.
(As in full model names of router and notebook, maybe even info on whats in front of router etc).

The more info you give the better the help can be.

Okay, so i had my main router downstairs and didnt get a good connection in my room which was on the second floor and on the opposite side of the house. So i took a very long lan cable and ran it to my room directly from the main router. This cable i then connected to the router.

Just now, wkdpaul said:

cuz there is covid and i every shop is closed. Also online retailers arent delivering it either

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

but i will still try to find cables as it is literally the best solution there is

5 minutes ago, Voditz said:

Okay, so i had my main router downstairs and didnt get a good connection in my room which was on the second floor and on the opposite side of the house. So i took a very long lan cable and ran it to my room directly from the main router. This cable i then connected to the router.

the router is D-link DIR 814 and the laptop is Hp 15g dr0006tx

4 hours ago, Voditz said:

cuz there is covid and i every shop is closed. Also online retailers arent delivering it either

Hmmmmmm. I mean I know some countries are in dire straits still. The US is very open, at least the mitten state is. Its hard to believe that online retailers are not delivering goods. I mean thru the whole shit store Amazon was fucking slammed. So much so that two day shipping literally stopped happening for prime members. Door dash and other delivery services were also slammed. That was pretty much the only businesses open besides grocery stores. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Hmmmmmm. I mean I know some countries are in dire straits still. The US is very open, at least the mitten state is. Its hard to believe that online retailers are not delivering goods. I mean thru the whole shit store Amazon was fucking slammed. So much so that two day shipping literally stopped happening for prime members. Door dash and other delivery services were also slammed. That was pretty much the only businesses open besides grocery stores. 

They aren't delivering cuz i live around a red zone but i think deliveries should resume in a week or so