BLANK

SiTime
Just now, SiTime said:

I feel like this hasn't been discussed anywhere

Well...

image.png.ac10ad01b42503c9e2c1dfb1eed285b8.png

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

I am specifically talking about New Zealand store prices for gpus.

Not the concept of gpu pricing.

8 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Well...

image.png.ac10ad01b42503c9e2c1dfb1eed285b8.png

16 minutes ago, SiTime said:

I feel like this hasn't been discussed anywhere and it really needs to be.

In New Zealand, gpu prices in stores are ridiculous.

I can literally go to a scalper on american ebay, buy a gpu, ship it here, and pay less than they are charging in the stores here.

Here is what I mean:

A 3090 ranges from $3919-$4311 (or $2754-$3032 usd)

A 3080 ranges from $2253-$2547 (or $1583-$1790 usd)

A 3070 ranges from $1537-$2000 (or $1080-$1405 usd)

A 3060 ranges from $979-$1273 (or $688-$894 usd)

This isn't scalpers, this is the normal price for a gpu in the main tech stores here.

When the 3080 and 3090 first came out, they were $1000 ($702 usd) cheaper, but they raised prices because they could.

I upgraded my pc from 8 years ago, but am still stuck with my gtx 670 because I can't afford these price hikes.

Same here in India, the retailers (very few of them exist) hence they have created an artificial GPU shortage, since stock is returning back to normal and are still pricing GPUs way above the normal price here (BTW the normal price here is already more than american pricing)

12 minutes ago, SiTime said:

I am specifically talking about New Zealand store prices for gpus.

Not the concept of gpu pricing.

It's more or less the same everywhere. Some places it could be less ridiculous but still ridiculous in general though.

Just because they're back in stock at retailers doesn't mean they're back to MSRP. It's the same everywhere around the world, retailers are getting some stock and not selling it immediately, but they're fine with keeping the stock a while and trying to sell them for the highest possible price, instead of just going back to MSRP right away and being out of stock again. 

But now with retailers having stock again, the prices are getting an upper limit, because no scalper can sell cards for more than they're available at retailers, at that point people would just go straight to the retailers instead, so scalper-prices are finally coming down. I expect retail prices to come down over the next couple of months and maybe we're getting cards from retailers at MSRP around christmas

1 minute ago, Alvin853 said:

Just because they're back in stock at retailers doesn't mean they're back to MSRP. It's the same everywhere around the world, retailers are getting some stock and not selling it immediately, but they're fine with keeping the stock a while and trying to sell them for the highest possible price, instead of just going back to MSRP right away and being out of stock again. 

But now with retailers having stock again, the prices are getting an upper limit, because no scalper can sell cards for more than they're available at retailers, at that point people would just go straight to the retailers instead, so scalper-prices are finally coming down. I expect retail prices to come down over the next couple of months and maybe we're getting cards from retailers at MSRP around christmas

We never ran out of stock here because they hiked up the prices immediately. And we never had scalpers because the prices for gpus here were already more than the scalpers charge over there.

We also never get gpus at msrp. The are usually a good 20-30% more than that before tax.

35 minutes ago, SiTime said:

We also never get gpus at msrp. The are usually a good 20-30% more than that before tax.

Same here where I live. it has always been around 30% more than msrp. And right now with the shortage, import restrictions and down fall in economy it has become absolutely awful. Even cards such as a gtx 1660 cost a premium.    

Frankly, this is just extension of pricing of hardware in Aus and NZ before shortages. And if you go to search, you will find 4+ threads made on the subject yearly.

Why would there need to be more talk about something that is universal (GPU prices) or constant (AUS/NZ prices)? Latter is not something many of us can have any effects. It's about shipping prices, buying power and taxes.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

In my country prices are cheaper than most of the world,

The local PC building market is highly competitive with many local manufacturers so it's cheaper but the prices are still insane.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

* your thread was moved to the Graphics Cards section *

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

• 6 months later...
On 7/3/2021 at 11:58 PM, SiTime said:

I feel like this hasn't been discussed anywhere and it really needs to be.

In New Zealand, gpu prices in stores are ridiculous.

I can literally go to a scalper on american ebay, buy a gpu, ship it here, and pay less than they are charging in the stores here.

Here is what I mean, in NZ stores:

A 3090 ranges from $3919-$4311 (or $2754-$3032 usd)

A 3080 ranges from $2253-$2547 (or $1583-$1790 usd)

A 3070 ranges from $1537-$2000 (or $1080-$1405 usd)

A 3060 ranges from $979-$1273 (or $688-$894 usd)

This isn't scalpers, this is the normal price for a gpu in the main tech stores here.

When the 3080 and 3090 first came out, they were $1000 ($702 usd) cheaper, but they raised prices because they could.

I upgraded my pc from 8 years ago, but am still stuck with my gtx 670 because I can't afford these price hikes.

It just seems ridiculous. When $500 cards like the Rx 6600 is goin for up to $950 at pb tech when 3070 were goin for the same when they released originally.