Cherry MX (brown,blue,red,silver,wth...) vs membrane

frozensun

Hi my friends.

I want to ask you, do you really notice any difference membrane vs mechanical while gaming.

Me not,and I'm a gamer whole life on membrane kyb.

I think this all with switches is stupid marketing trick.

But if anyone really without a lie notice any difference explain me down in a reply.

Thx.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

I like mechanical, Zuaoya (black switch)  10-keyless keyboard from Aliexpress.

Got 2-3 other mech keyboards, but never going back to 104-key  keyboards - they just take up too much space.

Anyawy, I have 2-3 other mechanicals, including Corsair K55, but the clicking and responsiveness is not that great.

Some IKGMK2 is too clicky, but I believe it depends what switches are used. Not sure if they are MX kays at all...

I edit my posts more often than not

There really isn't much of a difference in games. Some cheaper membrane keyboards can have ghosting/rollover issues which can actually make a negative impact while playing games but it's not too big of an issue.

I'd still highly recommend trying a mechanical keyboard though, it's a much nicer experience.

I do notice a bit of a difference. Honestly it's not major in my opinion, and I actually prefer typing on (certain) membrane keyboards over my MX Blues. A lot of people like the tactile click of a mechanical keyboard but it's not for everyone. The only reason I use a mechanical keyboard for gaming is that it's more responsive than my old membrane one, which would sometimes not register button presses and sometimes would double click on certain keys.

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

I do notice a bit of a difference. Honestly it's not major in my opinion, and I actually prefer typing on (certain) membrane keyboards over my MX Blues. A lot of people like the tactile click of a mechanical keyboard but it's not for everyone. The only reason I use a mechanical keyboard for gaming is that it's more responsive than my old membrane one, which would sometimes not register button presses.

Never happened to me.

I am 15 y old gamer and change liken 100 membrane keyboards no issues..now I'm on mechanical but this was just waste of money.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

There's so many factors that affect the overall experience you're not going to get a 'one answer fits all' here. I think if you're someone who's used to membrane gaming and try a mechanical switch you'll likely not notice much other than the longer key travel (in most cases, and assuming you're trying a linear switch). However, if you move over to mechanical and get used to that then go back to membrane it's a much more stark difference.

I find going back to membrane feels like they're mushy compared to mechanical. I'm not using Cherry switches though, and I have different switches for different tasks and some just because I feel like a change. 

Also, part of having a good mechanical keyboard is the overall board quality. A membrane is very light and made of cheap, thin plastic. A good mechanical keyboard (especially if you built it yourself from group buys) is a very heavy, great quality chunk of metal that gives a much nicer feel in addition to the switches.

I don't believe mechanical stuff is just marketing given it's still a very small market. RGB is more the marketing trick.... ;) 

4 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Never happened to me.

I am 15 y old gamer and change liken 100 membrane keyboards no issues..now I'm on mechanical but this was just waste of money.

What mechanical board did you buy? Not all mechanical boards are built the same

1 minute ago, Slam Makanen said:

There's so many factors that affect the overall experience you're not going to get a 'one answer fits all' here. I think if you're someone who's used to membrane gaming and try a mechanical switch you'll likely not notice much other than the longer key travel (in most cases, and assuming you're trying a linear switch). However, if you move over to mechanical and get used to that then go back to membrane it's a much more stark difference.

I find going back to membrane feels like they're mushy compared to mechanical. I'm not using Cherry switches though, and I have different switches for different tasks and some just because I feel like a change. 

Also, part of having a good mechanical keyboard is the overall board quality. A membrane is very light and made of cheap, thin plastic. A good mechanical keyboard (especially if you built it yourself from group buys) is a very heavy, great quality chunk of metal that gives a much nicer feel in addition to the switches.

I don't believe mechanical stuff is just marketing given it's still a very small market. RGB is more the marketing trick.... 😉

Well who really needs 1mm key travel?

What would you use it for?

😄

Can you type with 1mm key travel (mx speed switches?

I mean it's stupid marketing.

Mechanicals are more often with LED lighted keys, that makes them at least more durable than many of the cheap membrane keyboards, that have symbols on them with easily soluble paint. The painted-on-keyboards do lose their markings too early.

1 minute ago, Slam Makanen said:

What mechanical board did you buy? Not all mechanical boards are built the same

U have them on my profile,today one more k95 rgb platnum (speed switches-silver ones).

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

Mechanicals are more often with LED lighted keys, that makes them at least more durable than many of the cheap membrane keyboards, that have symbols on them with easily soluble paint. The painted-on-keyboards do lose their markings too early.

U don't need mechanical switch for that,right?

U have membrane keyboards with good painting on keys.

Just now, frozensun said:

U have them on my profile,today one more k95 rgb platnum (speed switches-silver ones).

I wouldn't have opted for a Corsair board, they are marketing gimmicks. I also go out of my way to recommend people to not buy speed switches. They don't offer any noticeable advantages in games and they often make you more prone to typos.

1 minute ago, frozensun said:

U don't need mechanical switch for that,right?

U have membrane keyboards with good painting on keys.

Yeah, I'd be satisfied with membrane backlit keys keyboard, but not going out of my way to search membrane keyboard for that. 

LED lit 10-keyless are the best imo.

19 minutes ago, Trebblebob said:

I wouldn't have opted for a Corsair board, they are marketing gimmicks. I also go out of my way to recommend people to not buy speed switches. They don't offer any noticeable advantages in games and they often make you more prone to typos.

Well I got it because of a beautiful RGB effects with icue not because switches.

4 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Well I got it because of a beautiful RGB effects with icue not because switches.

And that's why you've got a keyboard that has disappointed you. RGB marketing FTW!

5 minutes ago, frozensun said:

31 minutes ago, frozensun said:

I mean it's stupid marketing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RGB lights might look cool but I'd wager a bet that you'll grow out of them pretty fast. I rather recommend something like a Ducky, Varmillo or Leopold.

3 hours ago, Trebblebob said:

If this is a bad keyboard,then wth costs damn 250 euros back here?

53 minutes ago, frozensun said:

If this is a bad keyboard,then wth costs damn 250 euros back here?

You bought it, right? Why would they reduce the price if people buy it anyway?

:)

7 hours ago, Trebblebob said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RGB lights might look cool but I'd wager a bet that you'll grow out of them pretty fast. I rather recommend something like a Ducky, Varmillo or Leopold.

I'm not sure single colour illumination switches are sold any more, I think they are all RGB. Just because you have RGB doesn't mean you have to have it in full on unicorn puke mode, you can just set it to one static colour.

19 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

I'm not sure single colour illumination switches are sold any more, I think they are all RGB. Just because you have RGB doesn't mean you have to have it in full on unicorn puke mode, you can just set it to one static colour.

there's still one colour led board on the market like some redragon (rainbow) and some other cheaper board and those are not changeable but you can turn them of hopefully.  you have to be careful and read well when buying.  Some ducky, durgod and keychron can come with only white led also ... personally I really don't care about led.

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

On 6/30/2021 at 9:11 AM, frozensun said:

do you really notice any difference membrane vs mechanical while gaming.

yesx500,000,000,000,000

Mechanical is worth it, as for marketing? ANY keyboard with mxreds for example will operate very similarly.

Corsair keyboards have great LED control, every single key is individually controlled, you can turn them all off, turn on and off specific ones, specific colors for each individual key, preset rainbow puke effects, etc.

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+

On 6/30/2021 at 10:21 PM, Slam Makanen said:

I don't believe mechanical stuff is just marketing given it's still a very small market. RGB is more the marketing trick.... 😉

There are good membrane keyboards though that are made of premium materials. It's a little lopsided to compare a cheap membrane to a premium mechanical and vice versa. There are cheap and premium options on both sides. 

I use an older Mac wireless keyboard that is quite premium (aluminum frame) yet is membrane. It has zero flex and good key feel. 

12 hours ago, Daethz said:

yesx500,000,000,000,000

Mechanical is worth it, as for marketing? ANY keyboard with mxreds for example will operate very similarly.

Corsair keyboards have great LED control, every single key is individually controlled, you can turn them all off, turn on and off specific ones, specific colors for each individual key, preset rainbow puke effects, etc.

Oooh.Can I single RGB light any key,and how?

1 hour ago, frozensun said:

Oooh.Can I single RGB light any key,and how?

Use the static colour option in iCue. I think there is also an option at the top of iCue called "Instant Lighting" as well, but you have less options.