A brief (hopefully constructive) criticism of ShortCircuit videos.

Skipple

I fully am of the understanding that ShortCircuit videos are not, and not meant to be taken as, full reviews. However, I, and I'm sure many other viewers, do use these videos as a litmus test to see if a product shown may be one I want to look into purchasing. With that in mind it drives me INSANE how often products are shown off without a comparable, competitive product to quickly evaluate against. 

I am responding somewhat directly to the latest Dell UltraSharp 4K Webcam video in this thread, but this is something that has bothered me somewhat frequently in the past with various SC videos. In this video that Dell UltraSharp 4k Webcam was shown off against the built in XPS15 webcam and the $6,000 Sony FX6. Neither of these products are comparable at all. One is so out of reach financially for the vast majority of the audience, we wouldn't even think of looking at it. The other is a shitty built in. 

Why then, could this webcam not be placed against an actual competing product? What about the Logitech C920? Razer Kiyo? Are there no decent webcams in the office to test against? I simply don't understand how either of the comparisons presented are useful for someone that may be interested in purchasing the Dell. 

I understand these types of direct comparisons to competitors cannot be done on sponsored videos. But why can't we get a reasonable comparable product shown side by side on videos that aren't sponsored?

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

ShortCircuit is not for this type of thing, even just quick comparisons. They only brought the Sony FX6 into it, because Dell is claiming to use a similar sensor. The laptop web cam was compared, simply because that sets a base, i.e. most people already have something similar to that, so it gives a reference point to see if dropping $200 is even worth it at all.

Going into comparison and contrasts with competing products would entail a full review, which would necessarily require longer form content not suited for the channel. These are supposed to be relatively quick product demos that just show if it's good on its own, not necessarily good compared to other similar products. For that type of thing, you need to seek out a full review.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

didnt they post a monitor video without ever mentioning the resolution of it?

my expectations are low for that channel, it's more for entertaintment, i suppose?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

SC is intended as overview and unboxing. Some of the hosts do compare to other products they generally use or like. But the point of the channel is to be preview for LMG to see if full review is required or wanted.

I would compare the channel to those smaller tech channels. They don't usually even show some key specs, sometimes only reading spec sheet. So in that comparison, real-world using the product, even without compassion is much better.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv