WD HDD 1TB Clicking Noise (Video)

Broth3rz

One day it just started clicking when I plugged it into my PC and it won't get recognized by my PC either. I opened it up and the needle isn't stuck on the platter which is what I was hoping... I took a video, it just keeps doing the same thing over and over as I keep it plugged in. It's clearly not stuck... and those are the ones I find on YT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRAwxCqQqMU

What is the problem? How to fix this issue?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Broth3rz said:

I opened it up...

2 minutes ago, Broth3rz said:

How to fix this issue?

Buying a new drive now. If you have sensitive documents on this drive that you want to recover, I'd recommend sending it out to a data recovery center. 

You opened the drive to contamination now. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

4 minutes ago, Broth3rz said:

I opened it up and the needle isn't stuck on the platter which is what I was hoping...

You what?! It's over. If there is data on it that you need, send it into a professional recovery service.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

Opening it up doesn't harm it if your carful, there are tons of people doing this very thing and plugging it right back in after fixing the needle. Either way its dead if I can't fix the issue at the worst. I don't care what's on it.

But I need to know the problem so I can try and fix it since either way its trash. Rather be able to give it away if I can fix it.

1 minute ago, Broth3rz said:

Opening it up doesn't harm it if your carful, there are tons of people doing this very thing and plugging it right back in after fixing the needle. Either way its dead if I can't fix the issue at the worst. I don't care what's on it.

But I need to know the problem so I can try and fix it since either way its trash. Rather be able to give it away if I can fix it.

You can't really just open up a drive and fix it that way. Also dust in the air will mess with the drive, so this really won't help it.

Drives really aren't worth fixing these days. Id just toss it. New drives are like 50 bucks.

And this is far from enough info to find the root cause.

I've done it before with stuck needles, worked great. It is from 2013.. I hate to throw it away if it can be fixed since I got the time right now is all. I have a 4TB I bought in place of it awhile back.

6 minutes ago, Broth3rz said:

It's time to put this hard drive out to pasture; recycle the drive. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

17 minutes ago, Broth3rz said:

I've done it before with stuck needles, worked great. It is from 2013.. I hate to throw it away if it can be fixed since I got the time right now is all. I have a 4TB I bought in place of it awhile back.

You've opened it up, so it can't really be trusted anymore. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

You what?

There's a reason cleanrooms are used for data recovery; every spec of dust is something just waiting to be ground into the platter.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

You all gotta chill out. You can and I have opened them up, fixed them, and they last years longer with NO issues. It's like the static electricity.. can happen, but 99.9% of the time, it won't do anything EVEN if it does shock the system. I'm going from DIDN'T work to MIGHT work, if I can understand the issue.. seems better.

I get you all are scared of it being opened but can anyone actually tell me something useful of what the issue could be?

It was trash anyways with the issue so why not try and fix it. Opened up isn't relevant. 

This is not remotely the same as the highly rare static electricity problem with electronics.

You must have an unusually dust free environment because I haven't even been able to apply a screen protector without a spec of dust under it.  I've opened WORKING HDDs before when they are super old and no longer any use, just to see what happens, and they never lived long.

There's just no logical reason to use a known faulty HDD even if you CAN get it working again.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7