Is the Ryzen 5600x adequate for an RTX 3070 TI?

Hello.

I'm building a gaming PC and I was thinking to get an RTX 3070 TI (ideally I would have gotten a 3060TI, but that's the only one available).
As a CPU I was thinking of a Ryzen 5600X (6 cores, 12 threads 3.7 GHz); that said given the monstrous power of the 3070 TI, I was wondering if I'd end up being CPU limited.

I plan to play 90% of the time at 1440p, playing half the time at 60fps and half at 120fps (depending on the game of course).
The rest of the PC would have:

• 750W Corsair TX-m 80 Plus Gold PSU
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
  • Asus PRIME B-550 PLUS
  • 1 m.2 SSD
  • 1 Data SSD (Sata)

The computer would be used EXCLUSIVELY for gaming

Also, would 750 watt be enough?

Thanks ❤️

Not with that ram!

The 5600x is a great match for a 3070ti, but it depends so much on ram. Make sure you get a 2x8 kit of ddr4 3200 or 3600 cl16-16-16-32 or cl18-18-18-38, in the proper dual channel slots.

And make sure the 750w PSU is a good one, not a shitty one.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, jippa_lippa said:

Hello.

I'm building a gaming PC and I was thinking to get an RTX 3070 TI (ideally I would have gotten a 3060TI, but that's the only one available).
As a CPU I was thinking of a Ryzen 5600X (6 cores, 12 threads 3.7 GHz); that said given the monstrous power of the 3070 TI, I was wondering if I'd end up being CPU limited.

I plan to play 90% of the time at 1440p, playing half the time at 60fps and half at 120fps (depending on the game of course).
The rest of the PC would have:

• 750Watt PSU
  • 16GB 3000MHz DDR4
  • Asus ROG-STRIX B550

The computer would be used EXCLUSIVELY for gaming

Thanks ❤️

I dont think so, it most probably would be able to run 1440p without any problems and as said above you may have a major bottleneck if you dont go for dual channel memory. The 750 watt psu would be able to handle all this unless it's from gigabyte.

If my answer is correct or is helpful please mark it as the solution. Quote me in your post to summon me. Beware that after summoning me ill never leave. 

Yes.

3000mhz RAM will moderately hold back your performance though. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Not with that ram!

The 5600x is a great match for a 3070ti, but it depends so much on ram. Make sure you get a 2x8 kit of ddr4 3200 or 3600 cl16-16-16-32 or cl18-18-18-38, in the proper dual channel slots.

And make sure the 750w PSU is a good one, not a shitty one.

Adjusted a bit.

Here's the ram I'm thinking of: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

Here's the power supply: https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/txm-series-2017-config/p/CP-9020131-UK

Unfortunately the selection from the reseller I have chosen is limited in that regard.

Just now, jippa_lippa said:

Adjusted a bit.

Here's the ram I'm thinking of: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

Here's the power supply: https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/txm-series-2017-config/p/CP-9020131-UK

Unfortunately the selection from the reseller I have chosen is limited in that regard.

Yeah this would be good. But i'm not an expert when it comes to power supply but it's from corsair , those guys are known for their psu's, so I think the psu is also good.

If my answer is correct or is helpful please mark it as the solution. Quote me in your post to summon me. Beware that after summoning me ill never leave. 

Definitely 3200CL16 is the minimum anyone should consider, any worse timings or slower is pretty shit for barely any cheaper.

I always recommend 8 cores in 2021. Most people will want more over the total time they will own the MB/CPU. Many new games today are better with 8 cores.

Otherwise, enjoy your new PC. Cheers

Just now, Gamer4714 said:

Yeah this would be good. But i'm not an expert when it comes to power supply but it's from corsair , those guys are known for their psu's, so I think the psu is also good.

In normal circumstances I'd buy Seasonic, but I'm getting this computer from a premium reseller that assembles gaming PCs configured by users (similarly to what Origin PCs does in the US).

The reason I'm going this route is that it's the only way to get an RTX card at MSRP in my country.

1 minute ago, CryingWimp said:

Definitely 3200CL16 is the minimum, any worse timings or slower is pretty shit for barely any cheaper.

I always recommend 8 cores in 2021. Most people will want more over the total time they will own the MB/CPU

Otherwise, enjoy your new PC. Cheers

I know, but the budget is getting quite expensive already.

Consider also I'd be moving from a super old it4790K, DDR3 2133MHz system 😄

It's more expensive to buy twice if you end up getting 8 cores in 18-24 months. That's why I recommend 8 now. It's only cheaper to get 6 now if you don't upgrade for several years. Everyone is different, maybe you wont.

IMO a lot of people have slower computers because they have wasted a lot of money over the years by "saving" money. 

Some people keep their stuff long enough that they really did save the difference though.

I'd choose which ever based of your history will genuinely be cheaper. 8 cores will always be faster

Your PC is going to be feel amazing either way coming from your older system.

Just now, CryingWimp said:

Your PC is going to be feel amazing either way coming from your older system.

Yeah, that's for sure!

Don't get me wrong, the 4790K was a beast for its time, and no other chip would have carried me on for 7 years!

But even legends need to retire.

Yup, if you had only gotten 4 threads then, you'd have upgraded. So it wasn't really more expensive.

Waiting 7 years is a while either way though. But a mid cycle upgrade to a 8600k/9600k wouldnt have helped much today either. 6 threads is to little

Yes but if it were me I'd get the 5800x instead, it's often on sale below MSRP now and worth it at lower price points.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, Mister Woof said:

Yes but if it were me I'd get the 5800x instead, it's often on sale below MSRP now and worth it at lower price points.

I'll think about it!
For now I was interested in knowing if the 5600x was adequate for a 3070TI, and the answer seems to be yes.
Of course getting a 5800x would be a better investment.

If your going another 7 years, the extra money on a 5900x over 7 years really will be worth it. IMO a 5800x now and a 7800x in 4 years is probably a better route though 🤣

One thing to consider, the faster CPUs resale for higher, so long term its not actually $100 difference. The 5900x will almost certainly be less expensive than a 5800x over the next 3 years. 3900x are reselling for more than the $100 difference over a 3800x right now making the faster 3900x cheaper to have owned. If a CPU prevents an upgrade its even cheaper. This only works with similar priced CPUs that are very different performance.

I heard 3070ti was a paper launch.  There are partner boards but no Nvidia boards or something like that.  They may eventually appear though. The video card market is doing weird things.  I don’t know what it is like right now.  I’m hearing it coming back down, I hear it’s coming back down but only for certain cards in certain places, I don’t know what is up.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

If your going another 7 years, the extra money on a 5900x over 7 years really will be worth it. IMO a 5800x now and a 6800x in 4 years is probably a better route though 🤣

Given how my life has often moved me around the globe each 2,3 years, I don't feel comfortable doing such long-term investments.
There's also a good chance I'd be moving elsewhere in a year.
That's why I wanted to make a mini-ITX build, as it would be easier to ship around...

IMO The resale of the 5800x system in 2-3 years makes it an easy choice. It's not really $100 more after resale.

The market will be flooded with 6 cores from people looking to upgrade.

3 minutes ago, jippa_lippa said:

Given how my life has often moved me around the globe each 2,3 years, I don't feel comfortable doing such long-term investments.
There's also a good chance I'd be moving elsewhere in a year.
That's why I wanted to make a mini-ITX build, as it would be easier to ship around...

If you’re looking at shipping things there starts to be an argument for an AIO. They’re apparently fairly resistant to shipping damage.  The head weighs less and the radiator is screwed in.  If you think there’s a good possibility that you will sell and rebuild in a couple years 6 core makes some sense. Maybe even a cheaper 6 core than a 5600.  Something intel perhaps. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

IMO The resale of the 5800x system in 2-3 years makes it an easy choice. It's not really $100 more after resale.

The store I'm on actually makes custom laptops with the 5800x
It could be the absolute best solution for me! Given my mobility.
(RTX 3080 inside, which should perform more like a 3070, given the portable form factor)

Laptops tend to lose value faster. Plus when its upgrade time, you need a new everything.

Portability is the only bonus

IMO get a desktop for the 2-3 years until you move. You can worry about selling/transporting it then. Plus the desktop will hold more value.

Laptops tend to lose value faster. Plus when its upgrade time, you need a new everything.

Portability is the only bonus

True, but as explained I tend to move around quite frequently.
Not so sure a full tower would be reasonably easy to ship.

Anyway is the 5800x less dependent on ram speed?
I'm asking because the laptop would use these memories: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/Vengeance-Series-SODIMM/p/CMSX16GX4M2A2933C19

2 minutes ago, jippa_lippa said:

The store I'm on actually makes custom laptops with the 5800x
It could be the absolute best solution for me! Given my mobility.
(RTX 3080 inside, which should perform more like a 3070, given the portable form factor)

There are a bunch of issues with laptops.  One is most screens are 1080p or 4k.  Another is mobile GPUs are not nearly as powerful as the desktop ones.  You will need to buy more gpu for less performance.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If you’re looking at shipping things there starts to be an argument for an AIO. They’re apparently fairly resistant to shipping damage.  The head weighs less and the radiator is screwed in. 

What's an All-In-one?
What I mean is, what's different from a traditional manually assembled tower?

All Zen3 CPUs are just as memory speed sensitive.

I agree, avoid the laptop at all cost. You'll pay significantly more for worse performance and all the other laptop cons. The only bonus is portability.

If your not moving for 2 years its cheaper to buy a desktop now, sell it when you move. Plus you have a better experience the whole time.