Advice need for best cooling orientation

Go to solution Solved by bowrilla,

best performance: fresh air going through the radiator for biggest ΔT. Obviously that means a bit higher case temps and everything that is being air cooled inside the system will run hotter. Since the CPU doesn't really benefit as much from lower temps as the GPU: radiator as exhaust.

As I've said before in one of your previous threads (and in one you actually had quite a similar question if I recall correctly): watercool your GPU.

43 minutes ago, _DeXTeR_ said:

Radiator NEED to be front side with intake air for best cooling performance, everything else is personal opinion.

Could just as well be top intake - or bottom intake if the specific case allows it. Position isn't the relevant factor here, it's the intake part.

Hi,

I have the below components

6800XT

360ml Radiator

140ml Radiator

3x120mm case fans

Im only cooling my CPU

Suggested orientation 1:

3 case fans intake in front

360mm Radiator at top exaust

140mm Radiator on the back intake

This way the 140mm is pulling fresh air into the loop unlike the 360mm which is pulling hot air from the GPU.

Suggested orientation 2:

3 case fans on top as exaust

360mm Radiator in front - pull

140mm Radiator on the back as intake - pull

Thsi way i get Fresh air into the 360mm and 140mm but may affect tue GPU temps negatively.

Any suggestions or advice?

24EFE031-5449-4101-AEEC-E844166972C3.jpeg

I'd go with #1. You get unobstructed fresh intake, and exhausting through the radiator will reduce dust build up on the radiator making it far easier to clean.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

A 3 fan 120mm, a 1 fan 140mm and 3 120mm fans.  Sounds like you’re short a fan just for the radiators.  That’s a heckuva lot of cooling for one cpu.  One could possibly get away with no 360 at all, though it’s possible that no 140 might be needed if things are thin. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

best performance: fresh air going through the radiator for biggest ΔT. Obviously that means a bit higher case temps and everything that is being air cooled inside the system will run hotter. Since the CPU doesn't really benefit as much from lower temps as the GPU: radiator as exhaust.

As I've said before in one of your previous threads (and in one you actually had quite a similar question if I recall correctly): watercool your GPU.

43 minutes ago, _DeXTeR_ said:

Radiator NEED to be front side with intake air for best cooling performance, everything else is personal opinion.

Could just as well be top intake - or bottom intake if the specific case allows it. Position isn't the relevant factor here, it's the intake part.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

10 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

I will buy GPU block for my aorus 6800xt from EK, but currently im short of cash. Thanks for your usual help and support.