New feature in Android 12 Beta, "Hold for Me"

What this does, is silences the phone, gives you a transcript on screen, and then gives you an appropriately loud notification the instant it detects a human voice. Meaning, no more god aweful hold music, you can go do what the hell ever while you're on hold, and it'll make sure you know when an agent has picked up for whatever company you're trying to reach.

I don't know about anyone else, but to me, this is the best thing I've had the pleasure to beta test in decades. Google had better keep this one. I haven't seen anyone else bring it up, and thought it deserved attention. This might actually be good to throw into a tech-quickie if LTT would even care.

Just now, RejZoR said:

Android 11 ? You mean Android 12 beta?

I might be braindead, yes.

Moved to Phones & Tablets. The Tech News section is for discussing news articles relating to technology. Please see the Tech News Guidelines. There's plenty of other subforums for discussing tech topics yourself, such as the Phones & Tablets forum in this case.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

Moved to Phones & Tablets. The Tech News section is for discussing news articles relating to technology. Please see the Tech News Guidelines. There's plenty of other subforums for discussing tech topics yourself, such as the Phones & Tablets forum in this case.

Sorry, completely new here, so you'll have to forgive my ignorance. I guess I misunderstood the guidelines.

38 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Hold for Me has actually been around for a while, sorry to say — it might just be rolling out to more phones with Android 12. It initially launched for Pixel owners.

Considering the feature literally said "preview" on it, and I own a pixel 3xl, and have had a pixel phone since Android 9, where exactly was this?

31 minutes ago, Melechtna said:

Considering the feature literally said "preview" on it, and I own a pixel 3xl, and have had a pixel phone since Android 9, where exactly was this?

Must've been limited to a subset of Pixel owners, then! Sorry, didn't mean to imply anything, just noting that Google announced it a while back. It must've been a very conservative deployment.

15 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Must've been limited to a subset of Pixel owners, then! Sorry, didn't mean to imply anything, just noting that Google announced it a while back. It must've been a very conservative deployment.

Wasn't offended or anything, just confused because, not only did I see no news on this (I don't really follow googles blogs or anything, get my sources from too many other places already) I would have kicked a puppy for something like this.

16 hours ago, Melechtna said:

Wasn't offended or anything, just confused because, not only did I see no news on this (I don't really follow googles blogs or anything, get my sources from too many other places already) I would have kicked a puppy for something like this.

That poor puppy! 😛

It's one of those things that' cool, but not so cool that it would grab lots of attention during the usual news cycle. September in particular is not a great time for news like that!