The IMPOSSIBLE PC

ivycomb

King of Wing from BiliBili sent us this insane tiny PC case to build a system in. With a 5950X, a 6900 XT, we need a lot of cooling here, but how are we going to fit 4 dual radiators into this thing??

i do the writing of things hello | they/them

With excessive force...

F@H [] Autobiography [] 

Main Desktop and Folding Rig :

Spoiler

Cpu : I5-9400f

Gpu : GTX 1070 Founder's Edition
Psu : Seasonic G-650

Ram : G.Skill Aegis 4x8gb DDR4 2666MHz (14-15-15-34)

External Storage : 8tb Western Digital Elements Usb 3.0 Hard Drive

Storage : Samsung 970 Evo 500GB

Motherboard : ASUS B365 Pro-4 m

Gaming Laptop :

Spoiler

Cpu : I7-8750H 2.2ghz 

Gpu : GTX 1070 Max Q 

Psu : laptop b r i c k 

Ram : 16gb 2666Mhz 

Storage : 512Gb SATA SSD 

Motherboard : it's a laptop.....

old boomer (currently non-functional)

Spoiler

Cpu : I5-6400 2.7ghz (doesn't have a heatsink)

Gpu : Asus RX580 8gb (might sell)

Psu : EVGA 500 watt 80 plus

Ram : 16gb DDR3 1400mhz

Storage : 1tb Toshiba HDD (currently in main pc)

Motherboard : Generic ASUS pre-built motherboard

, they made a sinking ship full of water, calling it a watercooled PC.

Aquarium PC,

It was a 5900X, not a 5950X.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

15 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

It was a 5900X, not a 5950X.

5900X was a mislabel. We originally had a 5900X in the system when we first started building, but it was swapped out with a 5950X relatively early on, and that's what was shown with the system in action 🙂

Just now, JBee said:

The 5900X was a mislabel. We originally had a 5900X in the system when we first started building, but it was swapped out with a 5950X relatively early on, and that's what was shown with the system in action and what's currently in the system behind me 🙂

Oh okay. I guess it was after LInus showed the CPU and said it was 12 cores. What was the reason for the switch?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Just now, Chris Pratt said:

Oh okay. I guess it was after LInus showed the CPU and said it was 12 cores. What was the reason for the switch?

Availability

So... is this PC for sale?  I'll even drop-by and pick it up, so no need to ship it!

10 minutes ago, SansGroot said:

TY-RAP Ergonomic Hand Gun for Nylon Cable Ties-ERG50 - The ...Linus could use this for zip-ties

There's a solution in search of a problem, if I ever saw one.

2 hours ago, JBee said:

King of Wing from BiliBili sent us this insane tiny PC case to build a system in. With a 5950X, a 6900 XT, we need a lot of cooling here, but how are we going to fit 4 dual radiators into this thing??

A nice system for sure, however at some point going smaller and smaller with SFF builds becomes illogical.

Once the form factor gets to a point where ease of maintenance, and aesthetics become so heavily negatively impacted, thats when you've gone to far.

Massive form factor full ATX tower cases, and cube cases, are for all intents and purposes, pointless beyond the imposing looks.

So somewhere in the middle is the ideal point. A SFF case that allow for relatively easy maintenance, the possibility of building a water loop with hard tubing and a actual reservoir without to much hassle, and ofc small enough to actually be considered small form factor.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

2 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

There's a solution in search of a problem, if I ever saw one.

nail clippers.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.HeVlKV0kkIecSFo-KWvSlQHaHa%26pid%3DApi&f=1

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

To cut zip ties one can take a few different approaches.
One can tighten them by hand and then use a pair of flush ground side cutters. (Recommended if you don't do hundreds of them per day. Though, if you need to tighten them to a standard, get the proper tools!)

Or one can go the industrial way and use a zip tie installation tool, like the gun shaped thing above. Or one from HellermannTyton. (I would like to have their MK9P-PLGF-BK on my bench, but it costs more than my last two computers combined.)

Though, the computer ended up seeming fairly compact indeed. Likely beats some servers to be fair.

8:44

nice2.PNG.4e9c12109ba7bac8f3d2b5845c56385a.PNG

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

Any idea where I can get those radiators? The build in pump is nice and they look sicc!

14 minutes ago, onebeats said:

Any idea where I can get those radiators? The build in pump is nice and they look sicc!

The radiators have to be sourced from Taobao/Aliex. They're Hanjiang rads (mainly 17mm thick). In the time since starting this project listings have shifted around so I don't have direct links right now 😞 

1 hour ago, SolarNova said:

Massive form factor full ATX tower cases, and cube cases, are for all intents and purposes, pointless beyond the imposing looks.

No.

You can't fit a bunch of GPUs in an SFF case for F@H or mining or whatever it is that needs a bunch of GPUs.

We have various shapes, sizes, and styles of cases because everyone likes different things. I don't care too much about portability with my main PC, but others do.

I don't watercool and (in my main PC) am not going to, but others will.

That's why we have ITX cases for those people who want very small PCs, EATX cases for those who want lots of stuff in their PC, and everything in between (mATX, ATX)) and outside (SSI-CEB, SSI-EEB, SSI-MEB).

elephants

20 minutes ago, JBee said:

The radiators have to be sourced from Taobao/Aliex. They're Hanjiang rads (mainly 17mm thick). In the time since starting this project listings have shifted around so I don't have direct links right now 😞 

Thank you! Found them on Aliex 👍. Here is the link if anyone else is interested:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005002069693603.html

And then you have the OTHER END of the water cooling madness equation (see photo)

Adding all those rads in such a small build really doesn't amount to more cooling other than you are just increasing the coolant volume and adding radiator surface area - both of which will get the heat away from the source (CPU and GPU) but not necessarily get that heat out of the case. It is certainly possible to do a loop without a res, but making sure it's topped off will be a mission, especially if you have one of those systems such as mine where it loses coolant over time.

My system is about as extreme as you can get, short of moving the cooling solution OUTSIDE of the case. Count FIVE rads in the extra chunky 80mm-thick variety all fitted with push/pull static pressure optimized fans, of which I have 22. These keep cool four GTX908TI's and a 8-core 5960X. 8 more fans then help with exhaust, some extra intake and other cooling (RAM/HDD). I use quality distilled water with clear EK additive of which I have a full gallon circulating 24/7 inside the loop. After 5+ years all the blocks are still as clean as new.

More importantly, I can run the rig in 30C summer ambient at full tilt. I doubt this mini PC can do that and NOT have the CPU hit max temp or worse have the coolant temp go over 60C. So many custom water builds neglect to monitor the water temperature - going too high can destroy your pump and compromise o-ring integrity. Learn from those who do it the right way.

Oh, and BTW, it doesn't take 3 monkeys to move the fully loaded case around - just one guy with big balls who can lift 90 lbs :old-grin:

Shelby_first.png

4 hours ago, SansGroot said:

TY-RAP Ergonomic Hand Gun for Nylon Cable Ties-ERG50 - The ...Linus could use this for zip-ties

HellermannTyton Mark 9 (110-09500) is my recommendation. We speed tested and consistency tested this tool for automotive manufacturing and it blew away the competition (even with junior staff) and experience staff using side cutters. Reach out if you need more details on how to source (Mouser and Digikey have them).

Beat it to fit, paint it to match

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

8 hours ago, JBee said:

Does anyone still use those hard plastic tube coils (looks like a tiny plastic slinky before it is on the tubing) for difficult short bends in water cooling? 

8 hours ago, JBee said:

I worked at VoodooPC prior to the HP acquisition and built some of our 2nd gen water cooled systems which did not have a reservoir. They were NOT fun to plumb.