Steam crashes network connection when I download a game

fee

New to the forum. Over the last two months, I've had this issue to where I download a game on Steam, 5 to 10 minutes into the download, my Network crashes. My Ethernet and WIFI connections are bricked until I unplug my router and plug it back in, restarting the loop. Before two months ago, this was never a problem.

I currently am hard plugged into my PC with fiber internet (1GB/1GB), download at 90 to 120 MB/s on Steam. I believe that my ISP is kill-switching my connection due to Steam using 99% of the Network in task manager. I've tried limiting bandwidth on Steam, but it ignores the set parameters. Any programs/settings to fix this?

Other solutions I've tried include: disabling my firewall on both windows + my router, QoS, UPnP, Dynamic packet filtering, Resetting my PC.

The ethernet controller I'm using is a Realtek PCIe 2.5GbE Family Controller directly plugged into my motherboard (MSI MPG B550 CARBON WIFI)

Next week, I should be receiving a new router from my ISP and hopefully fixing the issue. If possible, I'd like to start early discussions to try before my router arrives and, if my router does not fix it, try what you all recommend.

Sounds like an old, tired router 😛

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1.TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

I guess your router simply..

Spoiler

..can't handle the steam. 
tenor.gif

Maybe it overheating? Try put it somewhere with better airflow. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

This is definitely a router problem, new one shall fix it.

u can limit steam dl in steam settings > download

20210624_174907.thumb.jpg.2ff1d574309661a2934ff9b5e340a1b6.jpg

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 1 month later...

Hey i have exactly the same issue. 

It can't be my router downloaded Warzone and Cold War without issue, but as soon as i download a game on steam i get a full crash of the wifi, only solution is to reboot or unable reable the wifi card. 

I have fiber optic, 500mbps, unlimited, Deco M4, Asus S17 with a mediatek wifi card. 

Tried uninstall the wifi card with new drivers and nothing changed. 

• 1 year later...

lolz i came across this thread, just put together a new desktop and started having this issue as well. I have 2 different NICs both 2.5Gb (realtek and intel) and the issue only* happens on my realtek card.

If you look through various website forums you will see that this has been happening for years with no fix from steam, and is not a router issue. If it was a router issue ALL devices on the network would break not just the device downloading from steam.

Also limiting the speed isn't going to solve the issue, even set to 3Mb or even 1Mb the issue can still happen.

From what i can tell it is a NIC/Driver issue and something is causing the NIC to stop processing traffic.

In my last system i had a 10Gb Asus NIC in a PCI-E slot which also had no issues.

I have been able to "fix" the issue by simply disabling and re-enabling the port, or switch to my other NIC if it is a constant thing.

There are suggestions to Disable Flow Control under the NIC's properties which does seem to cut back on how often this issue props up but it still does prop up.