gpu fan spins but no display

Surestgarlic2

I have a dell studio 540 that had a 8600 gts but I put the Radeon hd 5770 that came out of my old Mac and it was working about 3 months ago but now the fans are spinning but no display and I don't have windows installed yet what is happening

If you still have the 8600 try it in there again, see if it works in the system. If the system has an iGPU also try with just that. Most likely the GPU is failing or dead. It's a pretty old system and components. I wouldn't be surprised if something is going out. But I would test with the iGPU if it has one or the old GPU before doing anything else.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

10 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

If you still have the 8600 try it in there again, see if it works in the system. If the system has an iGPU also try with just that. Most likely the GPU is failing or dead. It's a pretty old system and components. I wouldn't be surprised if something is going out. But I would test with the iGPU if it has one or the old GPU before doing anything else.

when I installed the Radeon I had just shut down the system so I know the 8600 works and the Radeon did work when it was in the Mac I haven't used onboard graphics ever since I gut the pc

7 minutes ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

when I installed the Radeon I had just shut down the system so I know the 8600 works and the Radeon did work when it was in the Mac I haven't used onboard graphics ever since I gut the pc

Ok, I'm recommending testing the system like this to determine if you have an issue with your GPU or something else. If you remove the GPU and just use the iGPU and it works then that would mean the GPU is bad, same thing if you were to test the 8600 in the system. It's a troubleshooting step.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

4 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Ok, I'm recommending testing the system like this to determine if you have an issue with your GPU or something else. If you remove the GPU and just use the iGPU and it works then that would mean the GPU is bad, same thing if you were to test the 8600 in the system. It's a troubleshooting step.

is it possible that the PSU is to low of wattage that it isn't powering the gpu or could it be a problem with the pcie slot or could it be because it came out of a Mac?

3 minutes ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

is it possible that the PSU is to low of wattage that it isn't powering the gpu or could it be a problem with the pcie slot or could it be because it came out of a Mac?

You say in your OP that the computer worked fine 3 months ago after installing the GPU? If it were a problem with the power or if it was incompatible because it came out of a mac it wouldn't have worked when you first installed it.

3 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

You say in your OP that the computer worked fine 3 months ago after installing the GPU? If it were a problem with the power or if it was incompatible because it came out of a mac it wouldn't have worked when you first installed it.

no the Mac worked with the gpu I put the Radeon in the dell last week and it didn't work at all except for the fans

5 minutes ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

no the Mac worked with the gpu I put the Radeon in the dell last week and it didn't work at all except for the fans

Oh, I'd maybe clarify that in the OP, your OP makes it sound like it's been working and just stopped out of the blue. My guess would be that it may not have enough power for the card. If both cards work in their original systems and the 8600 works in the computer just fine and it's only the 5770 not working in the optiplex that's really the only explanation as workstation desktop macs usually use standard GPUs that will work in Pcie slots of a regular PC as well. However, if it's a GPU taken out of an AIO Mac like an iMac, the ones that are built into a screen? It would be a proprietary GPU that only works in those iMacs and not compatible with a regular PC. Was it taken out of a desktop Mac that needs to be hooked up to a separate monitor or was it taken out of an iMac where you have to remove the screen to get it out?

11 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Oh, I'd maybe clarify that in the OP, your OP makes it sound like it's been working and just stopped out of the blue. My guess would be that it may not have enough power for the card. If both cards work in their original systems and the 8600 works in the computer just fine and it's only the 5770 not working in the optiplex that's really the only explanation as workstation desktop macs usually use standard GPUs that will work in Pcie slots of a regular PC as well. However, if it's a GPU taken out of an AIO Mac like an iMac, the ones that are built into a screen? It would be a proprietary GPU that only works in those iMacs and not compatible with a regular PC. Was it taken out of a desktop Mac that needs to be hooked up to a separate monitor or was it taken out of an iMac where you have to remove the screen to get it out?

It was taken out of a desktop Mac pro

Just now, Surestgarlic2 said:

It was taken out of a desktop Mac pro

Yeah, then it should be a standard pcie GPU.

5 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Yeah, then it should be a standard pcie GPU.

I installed and connected power connector and plan on using it until I can afford a new computer after I get the gpu installed but I am not receiving video output

1 minute ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

I installed and connected power connector and plan on using it until I can afford a new computer after I get the gpu installed but I am not receiving video output

If the 8600 still works in it I'd say that it's most likely a power issue, the PSU in the optiplex may not be enough to power the radeon GPU. Unfortunately with optiplexs they usually use proprietary PSUs so unless it uses a standard PSU or connectors you may not be able to find a replacement unit with the correct power requirement for the Radeon card. With what you've said it sounds like that is the issue, I'd say just put the original GPU back in and use it that way, it's not worth putting money into at that age and unless you replace that PSU it's most likely not going to work.