The longest unboxing we've ever done. - Tormach Mill Commissioning

ColinLTT

Our new CNC milling machine runs... Linux? We're gonna give you the ins-and-outs of this huge 10,000RPM toolchanging beast of a machine that took us nearly a month to build.

For real though - a pallet got lost in Washington state on the way to us - we got halfway into building the mill to find out that the toolchanger, the PC console, and all the accessories were missing - a whole pallet just never arrived. We called the shipping broker to chase it down but because it had already been a month since we received the pallets, they wouldn't talk to us; we had to have the fine folks at Tormach chase them down on our behalf. Two weeks later the pallet arrived intact and we could finally finish the build.

Check out Tormach's 1100MX CNC Mill at https://hubs.ly/H0LmXww0

Check out Saunders Machine Works' Fixturing Plates at https://lmg.gg/nPUFc

Buy Kurt DX6 Vise
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/0FWb669
On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/Ka8bSkw

Not gonna lie, I thought this video was about a Tamagotchi

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

So when can we buy EJ25 parts?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Gonna do another episode of the diy cpu cooler series?

Edit: sketchy heatsinks pt 4?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Really like that the preview that YT gives you, when you hover in the subscription feed, is all weird Linus faces aka material for more cancerous thumbnails.

"This is not a servo motor. It just has a sensor sending the information back to our computer [that then controls the motor driver that runs the motor completing the loop]"
Ie, it is a servo motor. Since "Servo" just means that it is motor with some form of feedback, be it through the larger system as a whole. (Even a stepper can be a servo if it has a position sensor. A servo motor is though typically either a boring brushed DC motor, or a fancy 3 phase AC one. But people usually just draw a sharp line between "servo" and "non servo" without knowing what servo motor control is.)

Though, there is "servo" motors that aren't closed loop on the market, only aiding to the confusion. But that is honestly more PWM based speed control rather than "Servo". (It is typically a servo but where the feedback sensor has been replaced by a pair of resistors instead, usually a boring user adjustable pot.)

Though, 14 minutes in and we have a potential eye injury. When handling compressed air, then wear appropriate eye protection. I have once had a metal bur dig itself into a pair of protective glasses, and I didn't consider the circumstances around the event as particularly dangerous ahead of the accident. A recommendation is to always have a pair of safety glasses on the machine, as a backup for visitors and such.

Hey @ColinLTT, as a controls engineer in industrial automation, thanks for writing in the great introductions/differences regarding VFDs and servo motors.  Automation technology has changed a lot over the years, so it's cool to see some more mainstream coverage of bits of it.

Not going to lie, would love to see some sort of more detailed industrial tech coverage, but I know it's a lot harder to make a super entertaining video out of.

"all 2600 and 29 pounds.."

was so sure he almost said PARTS.. oh dear xD

edit:

debateable.PNG.4c498e8a89f94b569eacec35e19d282e.PNG

Edited by MultiGamerClub
debateable.PNG

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

Has Linus every seemed to be in as much of a rush as this video 

Colin really wanted people to know he got his vaccine.

*video starts*

*short intro skit*

Colin: "oh, there's my alarm, time to go get my vaccine"

i wonder if their inventory department just lists the entire unit as 1 entry, or if every single individual piece and tool is inventoried separately

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 6/20/2021 at 10:52 AM, Yoinkerman said:

So when can we buy EJ25 parts?

Heh I have an EJ255 with a big turbo and all the fixings sitting in my barn - probably wont ever run again though.... 

On 6/20/2021 at 12:52 PM, SpaceNugget said:

Hey @ColinLTT did you work at OneUp components before LTT?

No, but close: RaceFace. I ran the carbon crank mfg department for two years. The engineers I worked with all left and started OneUp! that's why that pedal looks familiar, it was designed by the same guy (Chris H). This version has the opening on the crank side of the pedal, if you look at a photo of a Raceface Atlas pedal you'll see that window is on the opposite side. Keeping dirt and water out of that ended up being too difficult to stay a feature. 

On 6/20/2021 at 10:58 AM, Shreyas1 said:

Gonna do another episode of the diy cpu cooler series?

Edit: sketchy heatsinks pt 4?

YES

On 6/20/2021 at 5:48 PM, Quackers101 said:

Will colin make love to the new big metal boi?

Petal to the metal, here we gooo!

gently. 

On 6/20/2021 at 1:47 PM, audi0c0aster1 said:

Hey @ColinLTT, as a controls engineer in industrial automation, thanks for writing in the great introductions/differences regarding VFDs and servo motors.  Automation technology has changed a lot over the years, so it's cool to see some more mainstream coverage of bits of it.

Not going to lie, would love to see some sort of more detailed industrial tech coverage, but I know it's a lot harder to make a super entertaining video out of.

I'll try! Its hard because LTT has to appeal to a broad audience, so a lot of the stuff I like to do for fun (like retrofit my mill with LinuxCNC and AC servos just for the hell of it) wont make the cut. But if you catch my social handles you can find your way to my personal projects page in the description (twitter)