EQ Works good for normal, but distorts on the high end

tobymeg1

So I stream a lot, and I've been noticing when I talk normally, my voice sounds nice and clear like it's supposed to. But when I start getting loud, my audio starts distorting. I've realized this here and there and can't seem to figure out why. I have an EQ setup of course through VoiceMeeter Banana, but I'm not to versed in it to say the least! Some examples of what I'm talking about are listed below.

High volume Distort here

Regular volume sound here. Although you can here some distort that I'm mentioning here even.

So for all my audiophiles out there, can anyone help me here. I'm at a loss at what to do and need some help! Attached below is my current EQ settings as well.

Thank you ahead of time for your help with this!

eqsettings.jpg

In digital (fixed point) audio there is a maximum level (often described by 0 dBFS). When you hit this limit, the signal will clip and thus distort.

You have to check the entire chain starting from the microphone and check you gain staging to isolate the problem. Might be the ADC, might be some signal processing you are applying. Maybe driving the entire chain with a lower volume and using a compressor at the end of the chain with some make-up gain, might solve your problem.

I tried lowering the volume via the slider on my mic on Voicemeeter, and it seems to still distort at lower volumes as I get louder.

On 6/18/2021 at 11:19 PM, tobymeg1 said:

I tried lowering the volume via the slider on my mic on Voicemeeter, and it seems to still distort at lower volumes as I get louder.

What mic are you using? 

9 hours ago, ShearMe said:

What mic are you using? 

A Blue Yeti

On 6/20/2021 at 9:03 AM, tobymeg1 said:

A Blue Yeti

Sorry for the late reply.

The Yeti is a condenser mic and those are always gonna clip during exciting moments. No amount of EQ is going to fix a bad input from a microphone.

Usually people solve this by adding a compressor, but frankly it'd be easier to switch to a dynamic microphone with more volume range.

16 hours ago, ShearMe said:

Sorry for the late reply.

The Yeti is a condenser mic and those are always gonna clip during exciting moments. No amount of EQ is going to fix a bad input from a microphone.

Usually people solve this by adding a compressor, but frankly it'd be easier to switch to a dynamic microphone with more volume range.

Any recommendations?

Sooooo to find out, my Gain dial was ALL the way up on the back of the mic and I didn't even know. I watched a video about how to turn the gain down and it pointed out the dial on the back and it is now SO much better.