"New" GPU not detected at boot unless "old" gpu is also plugged in

gian_ef

Hello to everyone, just created my account here but have been an avid viewer of LTT in youtube.

Issue

My main gpu 7/10 will not be detected by my system and wont boot, so I need to use my secondary GPU to boot to my OS and have my main GPU detected and used.

PC specs

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 2600 (used)

MSI B450 Mortar Max (used)

Klevv Bolt 2x8gb 3200mhz (used)

PNY CS3030 M.2 NVMe 500gb (new)

GTX 1050ti (used)

GTX 1050 (used)

Corsair CX550 (used)

Long story

Spoiler

So with my issue, I was able to build my first rig that I planned, researched on my own and picked out of the used parts market due to budget limits. Before getting my "new" gtx 1050ti, I was using a gtx 1050 that I bought, also used, 2 years ago. Whenever I boot up my PC with the1050ti attached only, my motherboard's led indicator for the gpu would light up. I found an workable fix by attaching the 1050 on the second pci-e slot just to have my system continue to my OS. 

I can work with this but I need the old gtx the old pc I used since I'm giving it to the wife's sister to be used for school. 

My knowledge regarding tech in general is about 5/10 and 6/10 for PCs. I am assuming this issue is caused by a driver but since I have an ryzen 5 2600 cpu, removing all gpu drivers may cause a loss of display output for me and that would cause more issues since I am also using this as a workstation. Thank you for reading and hope I can get this fixed.

TL;DR

What should I do to fix this issue from happening? I am assuming this has got something to do with GPU drivers. Thank you guys

can you clear the cmos?

Its not a driver, then the system wou ld boot, but have issues with display in windows. 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Thank you mr. wizard. Just did the clear cmos and since I got spares of cr2032's I decided to replace the battery. Took out the other gpu and it looks good so far. Will give an update again tomorrow since I encountered the same issue after an overnight usage and restart. 

Update. Looks like the fix is holding up. Did not have any issues the whole day today and system was able to boot right away. Will check back again after 2 days just to be sure. Thank you so much. Still learning something new everyday about tech 

So another update, booting my pc and ran into the original issue. I'm currently using my 1050 again to send this update. I tried resetting the cmos again but it doesn't help, the 1050ti is still not being detected. Thank you

Was able to fix the issue and perform an uninstall of the old drivers by using ddu and performing a clean install of the latest drivers from nvidia. Hopefully this is permanent as I killed another video cable after "fixing" the issue this morning. 

Hello again. Yeah, original issue came back with a vengeance. Whenever I am able to temporarily get the 1050ti working, after an hour or so or if I restart the system it won't be detected. And when it does get detected, the video connector I use with a converter (HMDI to VGA) would get fried. I don't know what else to do.

It might be the HDMI to VGA adapter you're using, do you have a HDMI, DVI, or Displayport display to connect to?

Sounds like a problem I had a while back. Long story short it probably is your 1050ti which is faulty.

Long story:

Spoiler

When I got my first 980ti in 2015 or so the card would sometimes not be detected. That got more frequent over time. I often could get it to work after booting into safe mode. Other cards worked perfectly fine. I tried basically everything for about 2-3 weeks and couldn't solve it. Luckily it was a new card, so I RMA'd it and got a new one and never had any problems again.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

@Bitter I did. I am currently using a complete DP to DP cable as I was able to find a fairly new monitor that has it. Testing this now for a couple of days and not problems.

@Montana16 Yeah this is the one I am dreading the most since, I thought a could save a few bucks until gpu prices lowers. Unfortunately in my case this is a used gpu I bought of an online marketplace. Either I find a way to fix it myself or a professional check it, or I'll just stick to my 1050 and wait. Hopefully other members can send me their ideas.

Thank you guys for your inputs.

Update. Have not have any issues with the gtx 1050 since I have not tried attaching the 1050ti. Will attach it tomorrow and see. My final two steps would be to update the motherboard bios then flash the 1050ti. If the 1050ti gets bricked then it is not different than what it is now. Will send the final update in a few days

I have a similar issue but instead of not detected it wont put out any signal at all.

I have a gts 250 xD, i have to plug in my 9500gt which doesnt want to install drivers just to get the stupid ass gts 250 to even display.

And i do know that it still posts even if the 250 isnt displaying anything cause i have a pci debug card, what happens is that it gets stuck on a code 3-5 times, continues to post normally but when the bios splash screen should appear i think its the ird or rst light on my debug card blinks 5-7 times before it continues to boot as normal albeit no display.

Im also wondering if this is a gpu issue or what

Otherwise with the 9500 gt plugged in it works fine i guess but i havent tried installing drivers for the gts 250

Final update (for now at least): Got around to flashing both mobo and gpu, luckily nothing went wrong. And unfortunately, I still have the same issue but now, I am able to put in the 1050 to boot the system up and detect the 1050ti right away. So I got a temporary/alternative fix that will still let me use it completely, the boot up after a shutdown/restart feels like a lottery or like when you load up a disc on the PS1 and pray to the gods it shows the PS logo. lol

Anyway, that's it for this issue I guess. I'll have to get used to this until I can buy a new one when(?) prices go back to normal. Thank you everyone for your attention. I will still try a few things I can find and provide an update if I get this really fixed. 

if the gpu is not at fault I've had issues like this where the psu has a defect/is not good enough/is very old and cannot properly initiate the gpu at bootup but can when a lower power card is installed.

Yeah look's like this will be the final test for this one. I'll try and save up for a new one and get back to this thread by then. Good news is I am able to get display now by removing the power to the psu then pressing and holding the power button on the pc for 30+ secs. Works most of the time now so, I got an alternate fix that works

• 2 weeks later...

Final update.I am at 2 weeks now and the gpu has not had the issue since then. Hopefully this alternate fix holds up until I can get my hands on a 1660 super or a 2070. Thank you to everyone who replied and gave their time to help. Hopefully this helps other people in the future.