Windows 8.1 update for making it more mice and keybourd friendly

Sharif
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

Microsoft showed at their BUILD event, the new start menu on Windows 8.1 Update 1 for those who have trouble with the Start Screen, running with desktop and mouse.

Also, universal ModernUI apps (Modern UI apps that can run on anything) can run in windowed mode on the desktop.

buildlive1130.jpg

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/02/microsoft-teases-a-classic-start-menu-for-windows-8-1-with-built/?ncid=rss_truncated

Update 1:

So just an update, the Start Menu and metro app in Windows will be a future update, and not part of Update 1 coming up next week

As there was no real demo of it at the BUILD event, it looks like it's still in the works.

Source: http://gizmodo.com/windows-8-1-update-hands-on-terrific-tweaks-for-the-m-1556697548

Update 2

Microsoft PR releases a screen shot of the new Start Menu, and windowed mode Windows 8 Apps:

9a.jpg

Notice how the Start Menu is less wide as the article picture. This indicates that it will scale width wise as you add more Windows 8 Apps tiles.

Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/199505/microsoft-showcases-latest-updates-to-windows.html

Well, better late than never. 

Been saying it since the Windows 8 beta/preview - they should have had the option for both Metro and Start Menu. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

My understanding watching the BUILD even is Windows 8.1 Update 1

They probably won't include it and say "it's not ready yet" or "we're still testing it" or some other BS only to make people buy Win9

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Find it ridiculous yet impressive how Microsoft learns on their own faults and gets back to the roots. Basically they had put a out an OS with those drastic changes a then they started listening to their users for what they actually want.

Case: CoolerMaster CM 690 II (ver.2) *** PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 700W *** CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad QX9650 3 Ghz 12 Mb L2 Cache *** MoBo: Asus Striker Formula II *** GPU: ASUS ENGTX570 DirectCU II *** RAM: 4x Corsair Dominator 1GB DDR2 RAM 1066MHz PC2-8500 240-Pin DIMM CMX21024-8500C5D *** HDDs: Corsair Force Gt 240Gb SSD & Western Digital 2TB Green SATA II HDD *** Creative SOUND BLASTER Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional PCIe *** Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Black *** Keyboard: Roccat Arvo *** LCD: LG M2380D

Yeah April Fools

I doubt it. They did this at a press event type thing by the looks of the image 

who CARES? we have had the start button since like a week after win 8 came out... in many different forms, some great some less good, took 2m to install..

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

who CARES? we have had the start button since like a week after win 8 came out... in many different forms, some great some less good, took 2m to install..

To be honest, I think Window-mode Metro apps is the main highlight. Sure, it's still a Metro app, but at least it gives the illusion of a desktop App. Previously, launching Metro apps from the desktop forced the full-screen Metro interface (as of Windows 8 anyway). 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I might actually be willing to not 100% completely hate Windows 8 now.. but, have they removed the whole-appscreen competely(moved it to the start menu instead)?

"Hidden optical drive, crouching PC-builder."

To be honest, I think Window-mode Metro apps is the main highlight. Sure, it's still a Metro app, but at least it gives the illusion of a desktop App. Previously, launching Metro apps from the desktop forced the full-screen Metro interface (as of Windows 8 anyway). 

which is why i never use metro apps :P i just get the real ones, but yes thats a nice update

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Microsoft are seducing me...... I may actually switch.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

it's still a cludgy implementation. Much better than before but it still feels out of place.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

first to see it live then to react! we all now windows! Remember guys

e9e6fec9f41dff926e81071b81a6fe5490c7787f

XP  vs  VISTA

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

This is good though it's too late for Windows 8, this makes me look forward to Windows 9

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I don't get why everyone is happy tbh. Just download Windows8 Start? Why is everyone happy now?

Cheese

YES YES YES! thanks microsoft. Ily :D

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Find it ridiculous yet impressive how Microsoft learns on their own faults and gets back to the roots. Basically they had put a out an OS with those drastic changes a then they started listening to their users for what they actually want.

I think windows 8 was a bit infront of its time, it didnt fit with todays input devices, it only really worked with touch. Pluss someone has to be the first to make drastic changes, before it catches on.

CPU: Intel i7-4770K Motherboard: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB GPU: Gigabyte Geforece 780Ti 3GB "GHz Edition" Case: Corsair 760T "Black" Storage: Mostly SSDs PSU: Corsair RM750 750W 80 plus gold Fully modular Displays: Samsung S24C750 Cooling: NZXT Kraken X60 280mm AIO Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G700 Sound: Sound Blaster Recon3D Omega Wireless (Dat name though) 

Quick video of the new features of 8.1 update

But does not say nothing about the Start menu hmmm wat a coincidence

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

cfe135d0-f2f2-4dd9-bc9a-5be5b1670d61.jpg

0439b5c4-2ada-45f3-ac1d-7050b08acaa2.jpg

Now you can run apps on windows

The new start menu for desktop!!!!!!!

Holy mother of god, this is a spin on the metro interface I would use.

But does not say nothing about the Start menu hmmm wat a coincidence

This video is about the next update to be released next week.

The start menu is an upcoming update

I have classic start since the first day I had Windows 8 but seriously, I have used it only a couple times. I find myself using the modernUI all the time and when I'm looking for a file I use the file explorer. Windows 8 ain't that bad.