Need Power supply suggestions

Mystic user
Go to solution Solved by tdkid,

according to the EVGA power meter, your system build is going to take a minimum of 750w to run.

i would look for any PSU that is 850w or more.

is there a budget for the total build? what about for the PSU?

I am trying to build a ( mid to high end ) gaming pc. Here is my all parts which i am planning to buy , 

1) CPU :Amd ryzen 9 5900x 

2) GPU : NVIDIA RTX 3080 ti

3) Motherboard: Asus Crosshair viii Hero (WiFi)

4) Storage: Samsung 980 pro Gen 4 ( 1 TB)

5) Ram : Corsair Dominator rgb pro 32 gb (4x8) ddr4 3600 Mhz.

6) Cooler: Corsair ICUE H150i Elite Capellix CPU Cooler. + Corsair LL series LL120 rgb 120 mm RGB fan 

7) Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow

8) Mice: Logitech g502 wireless lightspeed

9) keyboard: Logitech g915 wireless lightspeed

PSU : confused ??? 

need suggestions about PSU picking ( how many watts and which type do i need for this  type machine) . If you have anything to say about other parts of the pc please feel free to suggest . This is my first gaming pc build. Thank you .

7 minutes ago, Mystic user said:

I am trying to build a ( mid to high end ) gaming pc. Here is my all parts which i am planning to buy , 

1) CPU :Amd ryzen 9 5900x 

2) GPU : NVIDIA RTX 3080 ti

3) Motherboard: Asus Crosshair viii Hero (WiFi)

4) Storage: Samsung 980 pro Gen 4 ( 1 TB)

5) Ram : Corsair Dominator rgb pro 32 gb (4x8) ddr4 3600 Mhz.

6) Cooler: Corsair ICUE H150i Elite Capellix CPU Cooler. + Corsair LL series LL120 rgb 120 mm RGB fan 

7) Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow

8) Mice: Logitech g502 wireless lightspeed

9) keyboard: Logitech g915 wireless lightspeed

PSU : confused ??? 

need suggestions about PSU picking ( how many watts and which type do i need for this  type machine) . If you have anything to say about other parts of the pc please feel free to suggest . This is my first gaming pc build. Thank you .

I have the GX850 FOCUS 80+ gold which is a very well renowned power supply so i suggest you go for that. If you wish there is also the corsair RM850x but overall theyre both very good and for this build you shouldnt really go for anything below 850w 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($919.00 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($122.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($199.99 @ Adorama) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($187.99 @ B&H) 
Storage: Corsair MP400 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($276.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card 
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Enermax Revolution D.F. 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.50 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($9.55 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1960.10
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-14 17:45 EDT-0400

You can make the GPU 3080 TI if you want, but if you wait to buy the GPU until the prices are near MSRP the 3080 TI is a bad value.

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

according to the EVGA power meter, your system build is going to take a minimum of 750w to run.

I'll grab/suggest a 1000W Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum/Titanium for that build. 

Ultra Platinum: $234.99
Ultra Titanium: $299.99

CGHA | Astrophysicist & Meterologist-in-Training 

COSMOS, WEATHER, AND YOU 🌌

BUILD: 6C12T R5 5600x | Colorful iGame RTX 3070 Vulcan OC-V | Asus TUF B550M Plus | 2x8 Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600CL16 | 2x 500 GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1 TB WD Blue | Seasonic Prime Gold 1300W | Noctua NH-D15, 4x Deepcool RF140 and 5x RF 120 Fans

1 hour ago, tdkid said:

For PSU am looking for around 150-200

Just now, Mystic user said:

ok, i would look at PSUs that are at least 1000w and gold rated because these would allow for some expansion of more storage, more fans, better CPU (down the road of course) and etc. for some years to come. 

something like this one EVGA - Products - EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G6, 80 Plus Gold 1000W, Fully Modular, Eco Mode with FDB Fan, 10 Year Warranty, Includes Power ON Self Tester, Compact 140mm Size, Power Supply 220-G6-1000-X1 - 220-G6-1000-X1

Definitely not a Seasonic Focus or Prime, that's for sure. They have issues with GPUs with big transients, such as the RTX 3000 series. In typical Seasonic fashion, they cheap out by using crappy fans (the low end fans they use are known for having motor noise at low RPM), omitting multi rail OCP (especially important in higher wattage PSUs), and just because they are extra shady, they rate their PSUs at 40C while claiming up to 50C as the operating temperature.

The safest bet imo is the RM850x 2018 (not the 2021 version, unless you want the PSU to be louder). While it does lack multi rail, due to the 3080 Ti's transients, it should be more likely to not shut down, compared to the Revolution D.F. 850W and A850GF, which are otherwise good options. It performs well, it's very quiet, and it's very easy to find custom cables for.

Scratch that, the HX850 (as suggested by @Spotty) is actually in stock in Newegg within the budget. It's not quite as quiet as the RMx 2018, but it does have togglable multi rail. The RM850x 2018 is still a viable option at a lower price.

If you are not going to buy any PSU right now, it would likely be better to ask closer to the actual purchasing date. Did you manage to get a 5900X and 3080 Ti, or will you be buying the parts when they are actually in stock?

15 minutes ago, tdkid said:

ok, i would look at PSUs that are at least 1000w and gold rated because these would allow for some expansion of more storage, more fans, better CPU (down the road of course) and etc. for some years to come. 

something like this one EVGA - Products - EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G6, 80 Plus Gold 1000W, Fully Modular, Eco Mode with FDB Fan, 10 Year Warranty, Includes Power ON Self Tester, Compact 140mm Size, Power Supply 220-G6-1000-X1 - 220-G6-1000-X1

An out of stock PSU above OP's budget, which also has no professional reviews of it? Good job.

With how much of a mess EVGA's lineup is, you don't know if it's going to be decent. Within the series with G* (numbers), the G1 is garbage, the G5 and G1+ are low end, the G2 is pretty decent, and the G3 is loud and has issues with its protections (but at least performs well). The G6? No one knows. There are guesses that it could be a Seasonic OEM, so that would imply that it has all of the issues from the Focus and Prime.

Edited by seon123
Something something

:)

27 minutes ago, Mystic user said:

I would recommend Corsair HX850. It should be around the top of your budget around $180-$190 assuming you can find it in stock.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Definitely not a Seasonic Focus or Prime, that's for sure. They have issues with GPUs with big transients, such as the RTX 3000 series. In typical Seasonic fashion, they cheap out by using crappy fans (the low end fans they use are known for having motor noise at low RPM), omitting multi rail OCP (especially important in higher wattage PSUs), and just because they are extra shady, they rate their PSUs at 40C while claiming up to 50C as the operating temperature.

The safest bet imo is the RM850x 2018 (not the 2021 version, unless you want the PSU to be louder). While it does lack multi rail, due to the 3080 Ti's transients, it should be more likely to not shut down, compared to the Revolution D.F. 850W and A850GF, which are otherwise good options. It performs well, it's very quiet, and it's very easy to find custom cables for.

If you are not going to buy any PSU right now, it would likely be better to ask closer to the actual purchasing date. Did you manage to get a 5900X and 3080 Ti, or will you be buying the parts when they are actually in stock?

An out of stock PSU above OP's budget, which also has no professional reviews of it? Good job.

With how much of a mess EVGA's lineup is, you don't know if it's going to be decent. Within the series with G* (numbers), the G1 is garbage, the G5 and G1+ are low end, the G2 is pretty decent, and the G3 is loud and has issues with its protections (but at least performs well). The G6? No one knows. There are guesses that it could be a Seasonic OEM, so that would imply that it has all of the issues from the Focus and Prime.

hum, i guess you are right. i guess you could ask peter or jacob from EVGA tomorrow on their tech tues. livestream, thurs. on their game time livestream or on Fri for their EVGA weekly livestream. not to mention the EVGA discord channel or that i have an EVGA supernova 1000 G+ PSU.

mystic user said this is what they were planning on buying. the first thing that gives this away as not going to happen right now is they are looking at a RTX 3080 TI which was just released and already out of stock. so i dont see them building anything for at least 6 months.

try using the EVGA power meter for yourself.

Choose your Efficiency Level
T – Titanium, 94%+ Efficiency
P – Platinum, 92%+ Efficiency
G – Gold, 90%+ Efficiency
B – Bronze, 85%+ Efficiency
W – White, 80%+ Efficiency
Choose your Series
5 – Ultimate Performance, Compact Size
3 – Extreme Performance, Compact Size
2 – Great Performance
T – Great Performance, Non-Modular
+ – Top Performance, Low Noise
A - Enthusiast Performance, Great Price
M - Enthusiast Performance, SFX-L Size
D - Enthusiast Performance, Non-Modular
Q - Solid Performance, Great Price
R - Solid Performance, Non-Modular

2 hours ago, seon123 said:

Scratch that, the HX850 (as suggested by @Spotty) is actually in stock in Newegg within the budget. It's not quite as quiet as the RMx 2018, but it does have togglable multi rail. The RM850x 2018 is still a viable option at a lower price.

I have already managed to get  the rtx 3080 ti and amd ryzen 5900x

2 hours ago, tdkid said:

hum, i guess you are right. i guess you could ask peter or jacob from EVGA tomorrow on their tech tues. livestream, thurs. on their game time livestream or on Fri for their EVGA weekly livestream. not to mention the EVGA discord channel or that i have an EVGA supernova 1000 G+ PSU.

mystic user said this is what they were planning on buying. the first thing that gives this away as not going to happen right now is they are looking at a RTX 3080 TI which was just released and already out of stock. so i dont see them building anything for at least 6 months.

try using the EVGA power meter for yourself.

Choose your Efficiency Level
T – Titanium, 94%+ Efficiency
P – Platinum, 92%+ Efficiency
G – Gold, 90%+ Efficiency
B – Bronze, 85%+ Efficiency
W – White, 80%+ Efficiency
Choose your Series
5 – Ultimate Performance, Compact Size
3 – Extreme Performance, Compact Size
2 – Great Performance
T – Great Performance, Non-Modular
+ – Top Performance, Low Noise
A - Enthusiast Performance, Great Price
M - Enthusiast Performance, SFX-L Size
D - Enthusiast Performance, Non-Modular
Q - Solid Performance, Great Price
R - Solid Performance, Non-Modular

Fortunately i have managed to get the 3080ti 

1 minute ago, Mystic user said:

Fortunately i have managed to get the 3080ti 

either your a liar or took a basball bat with you to the release so which is it? LOL

but joking aside, that would just leave the PSU to get as the rest of the parts should be relatively easy to get. 

the EVGA power meter doesnt allow for a 3080 TI to be picked yet but a 3080 is close enough. like i said, start with anything 1000W and gold rating or higher. these are efficent but they are also mostly fully modular so you dont have to worry about extra unused cables in your case. 

I bought the 3080ti from stockx with a little high price cz i dont wanna wait 6-8 months for this gpu to get it at retail or closer price.

BTW thank you for your PSU suggestions i will try to get at least a 1000 watts gold PSU. 

do you have any specific brand on your mind for the PSU?

8 minutes ago, tdkid said:

either your a liar or took a basball bat with you to the release so which is it? LOL

but joking aside, that would just leave the PSU to get as the rest of the parts should be relatively easy to get. 

the EVGA power meter doesnt allow for a 3080 TI to be picked yet but a 3080 is close enough. like i said, start with anything 1000W and gold rating or higher. these are efficent but they are also mostly fully modular so you dont have to worry about extra unused cables in your case. 

I bought the 3080ti from stockx with a little high price cz i dont wanna wait 6-8 months for this gpu to get it at retail or closer price.

BTW thank you for your PSU suggestions i will try to get at least a 1000 watts gold PSU. 

9 hours ago, Mystic user said:

I bought the 3080ti from stockx with a little high price cz i dont wanna wait 6-8 months for this gpu to get it at retail or closer price.

personally i can not give a "this company is better than this one" because i have only built 1 PC so far and my PSU is an EVGA one. according to some of the others her, they say go with corsair and stay away from seasonic.

4 hours ago, tdkid said:

personally i can not give a "this company is better than this one" because i have only built 1 PC so far and my PSU is an EVGA one. according to some of the others her, they say go with corsair and stay away from seasonic.

What about Asus rog strix 1000W 80 plus gold power suppy ? Is that a good choice?

15 minutes ago, Mystic user said:

What about Asus rog strix 1000W 80 plus gold power suppy ? Is that a good choice?

i can not give you an honest answer as i dont know. i would say they are a good company but havent dealt with any of their products yet top know for sure.

7 minutes ago, tdkid said:

i can not give you an honest answer as i dont know. i would say they are a good company but havent dealt with any of their products yet top know for sure.

Thank you for an honest reply

56 minutes ago, Mystic user said:

Go with this, which was already suggested by @Spotty& @seon123:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/NGCrxr/corsair-hx-platinum-850w-80-platinum-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020138-na

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

1 hour ago, Mystic user said:

No. Seasonic based is a no go.

7 hours ago, --SID-- said:

No. Seasonic based is a no go.

1kW Focus might actually work fine, but even among Focus rebrands ASUS Strix is usually way overpriced, not to say over other options.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

On 6/15/2021 at 2:33 AM, seon123 said:

strongly agree... I just returned mine. On top of that for some reason you are forced to active mode when ventilation facing downard  and when you opt for hybrid mode you can hear  some funny noises coming out of power supply...
I'm going back to Corsair and stiff cables 😅