Shall i buy this ssd?

Zyb3rWolfi

Should i buy this from the amazon warehouse?

SSD is the Corsair MP510. Just wondering if the cosmetic damage would impact performance thats all

image.png.39d08223b7879e68619ce26d0b88e5cf.png

Lel

Depends on capacity and what you need the ssd for.

I probably wouldn't buy it. Who knows how hard the ssd was thrown around if the packaging was damaged and has imperfections on case.

Could be the circuit board inside is bent or cracked or whatever and it works now, only to fail later.

25 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Depends on capacity and what you need the ssd for.

I probably wouldn't buy it. Who knows how hard the ssd was thrown around if the packaging was damaged and has imperfections on case.

Could be the circuit board inside is bent or cracked or whatever and it works now, only to fail later.

Yeah these things are packaged in a box with a plastic container holding them inside. Both taped shut. So to have damage means a LOT must have happened.

Then again it's SSD. You'd have to literally obliterate the packaging and it's chassis to damage its internals in any way.

I don't know why can't they post a photo of the imperfection or damage when it comes to individual damaged items, it's not like they have 50.000 of them. Descriptions are always so generic and indescriptive on Amazon... I'd often take stuff if you'd actually know what's wrong with it. But because of useless descriptions I don't want to gamble.

7 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Then again it's SSD. You'd have to literally obliterate the packaging and it's chassis to damage its internals in any way.

I don't know why can't they post a photo of the imperfection or damage when it comes to individual damaged items, it's not like they have 50.000 of them. Descriptions are always so generic and indescriptive on Amazon... I'd often take stuff if you'd actually know what's wrong with it. But because of useless descriptions I don't want to gamble.

This.

We have probably the biggest electronics store in Belgium by now and they often get returns. They inspect if it works and then post pictures online of the state it is in + a description of what is wrong, happened to it, reason for return and some other info. You pretty much know what is wrong then but still get all the warranty and return period without question.

13 minutes ago, jaslion said:

This.

We have probably the biggest electronics store in Belgium by now and they often get returns. They inspect if it works and then post pictures online of the state it is in + a description of what is wrong, happened to it, reason for return and some other info. You pretty much know what is wrong then but still get all the warranty and return period without question.

I bought a smart phone some time ago and didn't rush in removing protective labels and all that... just inserted a sim card and test drove it for a couple of days.  Found out it was randomly rebooting every 6-10 hours or so, while it was idling (screen turned off, sitting on desk). 

Rather than sending it to warranty or whatever, I just took advantage of the EU laws that says anything ordered online can be returned without having to provide a reason within 10 working days, or something like that. 

Filled a form on the shop's page and said I made a mistake ordering and wanted to pay the difference for a higher end model and mailed it back in the original packaging, with the protection foils still on the phone and all that - basically, it looked like unsealed box and that's all.

They tested it for 5 minutes when they received it and sent me the higher end model of the phone the next day, and you bet the phone was sold as "open box" with something like 10$ discount (in local currency)

Yeah, somebody else probably got screwed by it, and it was bad of me to do it, but those people in turn can return. 

The point is ... sometimes it takes time to discover flaws or hidden damages.  Those people working on Amazon warehouse are probably not IT people, they don't check the SMART data, they probably don't even plug it in a computer... well, probably they check it if it goes on amazon warehouse, otherwise returns are put on pallets and auctioned off. 

Most likely they just look at the packaging and to see if the package contains everything advertised (accessories, stickers, screws, cables), and if it's no actual broken connectors or cracked cases.

For all you know, they could have ordered the SSD, pull out the internals and put the internals of 120 GB SSD inside. 

The circuit board could have cracks, or some bga balls under flash memory could be "loose" or you could have thermal expansion and have the SSD fail only when the temperature goes above some threshold.. mechanical damage can be inside as well as outside. 

10 minutes ago, mariushm said:

They tested it for 5 minutes when they received it and sent me the higher end model of the phone the next day, and you bet the phone was sold as "open box" with something like 10$ discount (in local currency)

Pretty much this but the branch I worked at had a 24 hour on policy for devices to see if they start acting up. Still the policy there now as my friend works there and they are pretty strict about it.

Bonus is that some of the devices end up in a "bargain bin" for employees as often the manufacturer just does not want to collect them and they are up for grabs. Gotten a fair few neat things that way fixed with minimal effort.