V-Moda Boom Mic not working

frozensun

I purchased boom mic  used but it didn't came with Y-Adapter.

So I purchased it separately plug one end of the mic to the headphones V-Moda and other end to the female plud  of the adapter (rounded one-picture 2),and from adapter green to headphone jack and red to mic jack on PC.

But no voice sound at all.

But when I unplug the mic from adapter (female connector) I can hear slight buzz and I get microphone sound detected in Windows 10 but when I push it all the way no voice sound at all.

I noticed that on one end the mic has those "3 black circles" and my Y-adapter has just 2 on both ends.

Is that an issue,or what?

Why do I don't get voice sound at all?

20210611_175406.jpg

20210611_175430.jpg

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

A) The mic is busted from the get-go.

B) The splitter is not actually a suitable TRRS splitter

4 minutes ago, frozensun said:

But when I unplug the mic from adapter (female connector) I can hear slight buzz and I get microphone sound detected in Windows 10 but when I push it all the way no voice sound at all.

Why do I don't get voice sound at all?

It sounds like you got an incompatible adapter. I believe your adapter is wired for OMTP conversion. Look for something that will split audio & mic for headsets that are compatible with Xbox / Playstation / Switch.

I noticed that on one end the mic has those "3 black circles" and my Y-adapter has just 2 on both ends.

Is that an issue,or what?

No, that's normal. 

See the source image

9 minutes ago, MrEleventy said:

It sounds like you got an incompatible adapter. I believe your adapter is wired for OMTP conversion. Look for something that will split audio & mic for headsets that are compatible with Xbox / Playstation / Switch.

No, that's normal. 

See the source image

I thought that there are no differences in Y-adapters,this one was only one I could get.

So what kind do I need?

Is it possible that only genuine works which came with microphone?

What is this on the picture I don't understand at all?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

1 minute ago, frozensun said:

I thought that there are no differences in Y-adapters,this one was only one I could get.

So what kind do I need?

Is it possible that only genuine works which came with microphone?

It could be wired up in any way theoretically, although they do tend to follow some standards as above (T: Left channel, R: Right channel, R: Ground, S: Mic). Getting the official one would be a easy way that would not require any investigating on your side.

14 minutes ago, MrEleventy said:

No, that's normal. 

Though from his description, it sounds like he's getting connection to the headphones (as he didn't complain about it), so if the ground was in the wrong place, wouldn't you expect the whole set up (mic and audio) to not work.

1 hour ago, For Science! said:

Though from his description, it sounds like he's getting connection to the headphones (as he didn't complain about it), so if the ground was in the wrong place, wouldn't you expect the whole set up (mic and audio) to not work.

Boom Pro is CTIA, if the adapter is OMTP, I imagine the connection will be like so,

image.png.7f63b419eb943b6e24e45156bab42261.png

G is still grounded. It's just grounded to Mic.

When he half-pulls the plug, he ends up connecting Mic correctly. He theoretically should be missing L channel when half pulled but have full stereo in full insertion.

7 minutes ago, MrEleventy said:

Boom Pro is CTIA, if the adapter is OMTP, I imagine the connection will be like so,

When he half-pulls the plug, he ends up connecting Mic correctly. He theoretically should be missing L channel when half pulled but have full stereo in full insertion.

Mmm okay, I somehow don’t think that’s how it’s going to work (e.g. if you connect what’s suppose to be a ground onto a non-ground for a psu/motherboard connection you will be in pretty bad shape). But anyway, for the purposes of the op, there are too many unknowns.

So what is the solution guys?

I can't get Y-adapter in my f..ed up country.

Can anyone send me one for boom mic?

Or can I rewire somehow?

10 hours ago, MrEleventy said:

This is helpful.Thank you.
What is CTIA and OMTP?

Could I damage the mic connecting incorrectly?

5 hours ago, frozensun said:

So what is the solution guys?

I can't get Y-adapter in my f..ed up country.

Can anyone send me one for boom mic?

Or can I rewire somehow?

"You should never bought this crap" second hand with missing accessories. In my opinion there is a non-zero chance that you may have damaged something already and it may have also arrived broken out of the box. Return the product, or get someone locally to diagnose for a fee.

Ok thank u guys,I'll try to find correct adapter...

On 6/11/2021 at 11:25 PM, frozensun said:

This is helpful.Thank you.
What is CTIA and OMTP?

CTIA and OMTP are just different committees trying to standardize things, like betamax vs vhs, blu-ray vs HD-DVD, etc. 

I think CTIA won out as it's now the standard most used.

On 6/11/2021 at 11:25 PM, frozensun said:

Could I damage the mic connecting incorrectly?

No. I don't think so. I've repaired plenty of headphones / headsets and from my experience, it's pretty hard to really damage and break them with standard use. You would need to either physically damage them or run a lot of power through them, which 3.5mm jacks shouldn't do. If that happens, you would have other issues.

Try searching "ctia splitter" on ebay/amazon/preferred e-commerce store and go from there. 

On 6/11/2021 at 1:25 PM, For Science! said:

Mmm okay, I somehow don’t think that’s how it’s going to work (e.g. if you connect what’s suppose to be a ground onto a non-ground for a psu/motherboard connection you will be in pretty bad shape). But anyway, for the purposes of the op, there are too many unknowns.

Normally, yes. It's a quick way to fry something. But when it comes to audio, the amount is negligible. Headphone jacks only output around 10-20 milliwatts of power.

I went to other country for audio equipment and guy tested TCIA cable told me it's good,and sold me OMTP Y-cable.

I came home after 12 h ride pluged in only green (headphone) jack and I could barely hear the audio/music like I'm in some tunnel,or smth.

Then I pluged the microphone too to the PC but same story not detecting voice at all.

Damn,I traveled 500 km to other town just to get the cable now I have both CTIA and OMTP but none of them works with headphones.

So my assumption is that the microphone is malfunctioning,or what?

The seller told me there is no third standard,guy makes all possible cables for living and it should work either with CTIA or OMTP,but sadly not.

So is there a way to test this microphone without Y-adapter?

Maybe all this was unecessary.

26 minutes ago, frozensun said:

I went to other country for audio equipment and guy tested TCIA cable told me it's good,and sold me OMTP Y-cable.

I came home after 12 h ride pluged in only green (headphone) jack and I could barely hear the audio/music like I'm in some tunnel,or smth.

Then I pluged the microphone too to the PC but same story not detecting voice at all.

Damn,I traveled 500 km to other town just to get the cable now I have both CTIA and OMTP but none of them works with headphones.

The seller told me there is no third standard,guy makes all possible cables for living and it should work either with CTIA or OMTP,but sadly not.

Maybe your phone will be able to take the TRRS input without any adapters.

1 hour ago, frozensun said:

I thought you had omtp before, now you have 2x omtp? Did you not bring the headphone with you to test it at the shop?

Ok guys.

I connected the mic and headphones to the PC.

I got sound recorded via mic and I could hear it on my PC via 5.1 speakers but not on V-Moda headphones.

Though sound is barely audiable.

So the microphone is okay,now the problem left is that I don't get my recorded sound on V-Moda headphones.

This is the only way that I could hear my self recorded voice on V-moda dunno why,I'd like someone to explain me.

So when 3.4 headphone jack pluged in all the way  even listening to music sounds distorted.

But when I unplugged it just like on pic everythings seems fine,though my voice is very silent.

Why is this?

20210616_081313.jpg

too many variables to diagnose. Could be the headphones, the microphone, the adapter, the onboard connections, etc etc.