Newegg Shuffle Morality

Tech87

As we all know by now, getting your hands on the latest amd/Nvidia GPUs at MSRP is like stumbling across a unicorn in Asgard. It's next to impossible. 🦄

Newegg stepped up and created their shuffle program, which is supposed to help get the latest tech into the hands of consumers, in a fair and honest manner.

But how moral is their shuffle program?

In order to give yourself the best chance to get your hands on the latest tech, you typically need to select combo packages for items you may not even want and/or need, such as; power supplies, motherboards and even monitors!

I think Newegg is trying to come off as virtuous, but it wreaks of slimy capitalism to me.

I get that they're a private company and can do as they please, but it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

What do you guys think?

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

1 minute ago, Tech87 said:

What do you guys think?

I think no matter what they do people would still complain.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

$10 says OP is salty they didn't win the shuffle lol

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Better than giving it directly to scalpers..

4 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

"It's next to impossible. 🦄"

This however isnt true, or atleast not in scandinavia. Shipments of 3060/ti, 2060/s, 30-series especially keeps coming in with new each day about or so..

Mostly 70's or 90's, but saw about about 100-200 RTX 3080 Ti's the other day on launch.. That was cool to see about 250~ cards get bought in.. 7 minutes or so?

Good thing their coming in too, because i want one aswell x'D

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

I think it was a step in the right direction by giving us non-bots a chance at buying hardware. For example, between my buddy and I, we scored 3 GPUs on Newegg Shuffle in May alone. Then Newegg took 2 steps back by tacking on their stagnant inventory items... 

You are currently questioning the morality and sales practices of an online storefront system on a website used to buy small electronic bricks that make your videogames go vrooom.

Stand back for a second, really just read what you typed, and question if you’re taking something too seriously.

1 minute ago, 8tg said:

You are currently questioning the morality and sales practices of an online storefront system on a website used to buy small electronic bricks that make your videogames go vrooom.

Stand back for a second, really just read what you typed, and question if you’re taking something too seriously.

Forget it.

You're clearly missing the point.

How would you feel about going to a store for a new car purchase for a limited model, to only be told the only way you could buy the car is if you also bought a four wheeler as well? (Assuming you have no other new vehicle options)

13 minutes ago, SPARTAN VI said:

I think it was a step in the right direction by giving us non-bots a chance at buying hardware. For example, between my buddy and I, we scored 3 GPUs on Newegg Shuffle in May alone. Then Newegg took 2 steps back by tacking on their stagnant inventory items... 

Yes, this how I feel too.

I'm honestly not emotionally invested. I'm in queue with EVGA for a new card, and am not in a hurry to be honest.

I still enter the shuffles, and just noticed that they seem to be getting more bold with the products they're packaging alongside GPUs.

Pretty soon they're going to be packaging toasters and other home appliances with their GPUs. Haha

To me it is about choices.

Today I did the shuffle for a EVGA 3080 ti. There were other cards that had products attached but I was not interested.

I would go for one with a 850 watt or more PSU since I need a spare so I went for one yesterday.

I did get a 3080 ti without any products attached so it is doable.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

25 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I think no matter what they do people would still complain.

You'd think Moderators would take a second to digest what is being asked vs knee jerking with snark.

The point the OP asks is valid.  Newegg is bundling items along with am incredibly high demand and contested items.  Creating forced sales for items people may not want or they're having trouble moving otherwise.

Nowhere did the OP come off as "fuck, I am pissed I lost the shuffle or fuck, I had to buy 1456 PSU's to get my 3070!!!"  Also it wouldn't be a big deal if nothing was said about the Shuffle from Newegg's viewpoint and they just simply bundled, but they're touting the Shuffle as a big deal to help consumers.

I personally feel they should have bundled and just gone with it.  Totally fine.  It gets sticky when they try to look like the savior as well.

That's all.  Don't try to be awesome and then do unawesome stuff.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

3 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

Yes, this how I feel too.

I'm honestly not emotionally invested. I'm in queue with EVGA for a new card, and am not in a hurry to be honest.

I still enter the shuffles, and just noticed that they seem to be getting more bold with the products they're packaging alongside GPUs.

Pretty soon they're going to be packaging toasters and other home appliances with their GPUs. Haha

There isn't any morality in a store selling GPU's, they'll sell them to whoever is willing to pay the most, or willing to wait for the shuffle.

I signed up for the EVGA queue for several cards, but I'm not expecting anything and considering going with an AMD RX 6000 series card, or waiting with what I have.

And newegg already sold tea kettles and other stuff in their shuffle.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/no-gpus-neweggs-latest-shuffle-event-offers-tea-kettles-other-random-items

22 minutes ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Better than giving it directly to scalpers..

This however isnt true, or atleast not in scandinavia. Shipments of 3060/ti, 2060/s, 30-series especially keeps coming in with new each day about or so..

Mostly 70's or 90's, but saw about about 100-200 RTX 3080 Ti's the other day on launch.. That was cool to see about 250~ cards get bought in.. 7 minutes or so?

Good thing their coming in too, because i want one aswell x'D

Newegg is probably selling cards directly to scalpers and miners, and saving a few cards for their shuffle, as if you're seeing 30 series cards in stock there's no reason why Newegg shouldn't have them.

At the end of the day, this is capitalism.  It's a corporate conglomerate finding ways to take advantage of lousy situations to make money.  It might be helping in some way (I snagged a 3060 a few weeks back, and honestly was happy to get a PSU with it since the one I had before was probably too basic to be advisable, so I'm at least one case of someone getting a GPU who actually wanted it) but there's always the chance that it's either not helping or not helping as much as Newegg wants to claim.  At the end of the day, really the only recourse is to avoid them and try to find another solution.  Is it good recourse?  Not really, given that Newegg is unlikely to notice a dip in shuffle signups to a certain threshold, but it is what it is.

Current Personal Rig

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X w/ Corsair H60 AIO   MB: ASRock B450 Steel Legend ATX  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600 (2x16)  GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC Gaming  PSU: EVGA 750GQ Semi-Modular  Storage: 500 GB WD Black M.2 NVMe + 1 TB 2.5" SSD  WiFi: TP-Link Archer TX3000E  Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mini  Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired  Monitor: Gigabyte G27FC 27"

I think it's entirely fair to regard many of the retailers as 'unethical'. I'd quibble that 'immoral' is not the right word. It implies an importance in this case that isn't there. If it were about food, medicines and true necessities then immoral as well as unethical would apply.

41 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

Forget it.

How would you feel about going to a store for a new car purchase for a limited model, to only be told the only way you could buy the car is if you also bought a four wheeler as well? (Assuming you have no other new vehicle options)

Bad example police (me) has entered the thread.

Let me introduce you to Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani, Koenigsegg, heck even BMW and Mercedes. You CANNOT get a brand new GT3RS without buying another highly specced Porsche or without having history of ownership, you cannot get the Ferrari Roma (or whatever they decide to call it) without having owned multiple rare ferraris and without having paid factory for some obscene stuff (like getting your car repainted at Maranello). 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

34 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

The point the OP asks is valid.  Newegg is bundling items along with am incredibly high demand and contested items.  Creating forced sales for items people may not want or they're having trouble moving otherwise.

I agree, and it's a good point to make that Newegg is throwing other stuff in a bundle like dangerous power supplies that could catch fire or kill other stuff in a PC, or force buyers to purchase other items they don't want, IMO that is a bad tactic and kind of scummy when used to force people to buy stuff they don't want.

I'll also quibble that 'supply and demand' isn't a capitalist principle, its an  'economic market' principle.  The excuses made for the effects of supply and demand are not "capitalism", but instead "the marketplace".

1 hour ago, Tech87 said:

I think Newegg is trying to come off as virtuous, but it wreaks of slimy capitalism to me.

I get that their a private company and can do as they please, but it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

What do you guys think?

I think it falls under tied selling, or tying:

Wiki:

image.png.6502460e23c4be8ab4f8d4f6a13723f8.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tying_(commerce)

FTC:

image.png.4a8cd145d03f2e2389ad0a9f7529f54e.png

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/competition-guidance/guide-antitrust-laws/single-firm-conduct/tying-sale-two-products

And it is quite simple, there is no benefit to the consumer.

You aren't getting that tied-in PSU / Monitor at a discount or free.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

image.thumb.png.ab563b55ef35e1dc73410ab1455f08cc.png

I noticed this on Memex website today.  They make it sound like the manufactures are requesting they be sold as a bundle.

edit:  I just noticed their bundle prices.  OUCH.

image.png.1c66efa185774e13464df9bda98c90c2.png

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

2 hours ago, Tech87 said:

Forget it.

Ford Focus Kona Edition, came with a bike.

But that’s also not a relevant analogy because nobody is out there scalping limited edition cars, in order to control sales to people who actually want the parts it’s best for Newegg to bundle things together, because while it won’t keep every scalper away, they’ll just sell both parts, it’ll make the scalpers that only want the gpus less likely to get them.

The bundles are usually oriented quite well as being two parts for a good system that a builder would want, they’re popular motherboards as the most common combo, and it makes sense to do it that way in this situation.

But also as I’ve said many times before on all these threads on how businesses are handling scalping, **corporations are not your friend**.
Their goal is to make money, like any business, that’s a good thing, that’s how a business operates. If they can turn a shitty situation into one where they make more money and sell more products that’s something they should strive to do.

Theyve done it for years, Newegg has always had combos of parts, commonly highly in demand ones when stock is low, this is just an extreme example.

For reference, every time a new Ryzen generation comes out, whatever the most popular board is ends up combo’d with it. This keeps people from just buying the cpu, which is a negative, but also sells a lot more components which is a positive for Newegg. It’s a bit shitty to do if you just wanted a cpu but it’s still an option.

1 hour ago, 8tg said:

The bundles are usually oriented quite well as being two parts for a good system that a builder would want, they’re popular motherboards as the most common combo, and it makes sense to do it that way in this situation.

I will say I've seen plenty of confusing combos, though, like 3080s being bundled with old B450 boards.  I think my B450 runs fine for me with a 3060, but if I was gonna go as far as a 3080, it wouldn't nearly be my first choice.

Current Personal Rig

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X w/ Corsair H60 AIO   MB: ASRock B450 Steel Legend ATX  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600 (2x16)  GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC Gaming  PSU: EVGA 750GQ Semi-Modular  Storage: 500 GB WD Black M.2 NVMe + 1 TB 2.5" SSD  WiFi: TP-Link Archer TX3000E  Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mini  Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired  Monitor: Gigabyte G27FC 27"

I own a small retail and service business and I understand the cynicism behind these bundles.

When the sub-market in question is people buying overpriced luxury toys it really invites cynicism into the thinking.

"If they'll pay that much for this, I bet we can get them to pay more for these...and we'll even take away the choice!"

"There's a desperation out there for expensive toys and we're going to milk that desperation for all its worth because we can't control the supply anyway"

No doubt there are Vice Presidents of sales departments high-fiving each other over this.

If their supply is low and they have to reach sales targets and they can't reach them by volume they will reach them by revenue.

In my shop I regularly experience a severe shortage of a particular sales item that is extremely popular. I sell out almost immediately but I don't run my business on numbers and there are no VPs of sales so as long as my wholesaler doesn't raise my cost, I don't  raise my price.

Supply and demand is a behaviour, not a law.

6 hours ago, Slayerking92 said:

I noticed this on Memex website today.  They make it sound like the manufactures are requesting they be sold as a bundle.

LoL, when I added that edit, there were 8 in stock.  So it looks like the bundles are working because they are gone now.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

7 hours ago, Slayerking92 said:

image.thumb.png.ab563b55ef35e1dc73410ab1455f08cc.png

So Asus is trying to dump the bunk too.  Still, that's over $2000 for a GPU, so not worth it.