What is the best OS?

Invalid Human

Im thinking of changing from Windows to something else, is that a good idea or is Windows already the best I can get?

Holy fuck Scott The Woz

1 minute ago, Invalid Human said:

Windows already the best

image.png.79c599a5a3f1f2ad5e97a31224498350.png

Definitely not. Windows definitely has an important place for most users but I can argue that GNU/Linux has a more important place and is better than Windows in some cases.  If you havent tried any before, try Linux Mint and Ubuntu in a virtual machine.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

try Linux Mint and Ubuntu in a virtual machine.

will do

Holy fuck Scott The Woz

Depends on use case, I've tried switching off Windows but the inconvenience of dual booting for certain applications is an annoyance. Other people make it work fine though, Manjaro is my favorite version of Linux but Ubuntu is pretty easy to get into as well.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

It really depends on your use case and needs.

I'm using Windows 98 since the first time I used a computer as a little kid, and still until now (on Windows 10 ofc). One primary reason Windows' still on me is I don't wanna bother too much of 'readapt' (not because I don't want to, but because it's a daily driver and I don't wanna bother to reinstall lots of things from scratch) while my use case of daily dose of game and some work are already enough on it.

I tried Linux Mint on an old pc that got a really old Pentium Dual Core, actually a really good Linux distros that it runs so well than Windows to watch 720p video on it's integrated graphics, but back again to the use case. I would love to try it on my daily driver, but my 120 GB SSD prevents me to do so.

Plus, it would be a lot less of hassle to use FAT32/NTFS than ext3 or ext4 while transferring files (afaik, I don't use Linux that much), since like 9/10 of people around you would be using Windows.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

There is no objective best for everyone but the only things that seem to stop many people from switching to Linux (besides being stubborn and not willing to learn) are full MS Office (not alternatives or 365 web version), Adobe CC (again, forgetting alternatives), and some games (basically just ones using kernel-level DRMs or anticheats, which are borderline malware either way but that's besides the point).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

All depends on the applications you need. Do they exist on other platforms? Then the migration is easy. Is there a work-alike? Might take some getting used to the new program.

Windows-only? Well, there's your answer.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

For a desktop computer you use for games and work, Windows is indeed the best. It's main disadvantages are that there are many viruses for it and it doesn't work well on older computers, especially if they don't have an SSD.

MacOS is good for work as well, and it's generally more secure than Windows because there aren't that many viruses for it. However, Macs tend to be overpriced for what you get, and gaming on them sucks. 

Linux is a great option if you know what you're doing and you enjoy tinkering with your computer, figuring stuff out, and troubleshooting a lot. If you don't, I wouldn't recommend it as a daily driver for you because it'll drive you insane. Also, some Linux distros great on older computers. I run ZorinOS Lite on an 11 year old laptop, and aside from occasional crashes, it works really well. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.