Irregular disconnects from online games only

MegaDave91

To preface, my connection to online games can be flawless for weeks on end, then suddenly I will start disconnecting again. Outside of games my internet is stable and the issue doesn't affect browsing.

I'm running straight ethernet into my modem (Hitron Coda 4582). I've done the following:

Pinging the modem (no packet loss)

Pinging Google (0-3% packet loss)

Traceroute Google (all trace pings are low)

I was looking for a game in my Steam library that displays NAT type, and Black Ops II says that I have an open NAT.

I have not logged into the modem as the default name / password do not work; I suspect my ISP may have changed them. This is a new modem that's replacing my previous Motorola SBG6580. I'm considering requesting a modem replacement as I don't know any other recourse and this hasn't been and issue until I got the new modem.

EDIT: This issue affects all devices on the network and not specific to my PC only.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

50 minutes ago, MegaDave91 said:

To preface, my connection to online games can be flawless for weeks on end, then suddenly I will start disconnecting again. Outside of games my internet is stable and the issue doesn't affect browsing.

I'm running straight ethernet into my modem (Hitron Coda 4582). I've done the following:

Pinging the modem (no packet loss)

Pinging Google (1-3% packet loss)

Traceroute Google (all trace pings are low)

I was looking for a game in my Steam library that displays NAT type, and Black Ops II says that I have an open NAT.

I have not logged into the modem as the default name / password do not work; I suspect my ISP may have changed them. This is a new modem that's replacing my previous Motorola SBG6580. I'm considering requesting a modem replacement as I don't know any other recourse. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Some things ignore ping time some don’t.  A lot of games don’t.  Is there possibly a ping time issue when this happens?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Some things ignore ping time some don’t.  A lot of games don’t.  Is there possibly a ping time issue when this happens?

It's a possibility I suppose, but my connection has never had a history of intermittent ping spikes. I've ran the ping tests while gaming and whenever I disconnect, the pinging doesn't show anything suspicious.

5 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:
  1. Speeds you're paying for?
  2. Speeds and grades reported on dslreports.com?

Originally I was paying for 120/10, but the ISP recently increased download to 350 for free.

Speeds are in fact accurate; getting 349.3/10.94. Quality A+, Bloat A, Speed A+.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

6 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

@MegaDave91

What is make/model of NIC? Have you tried reinstalling the latest drivers?

It's the Realtek PCIe 2.5GbE Family Controller. I haven't tried installing the latest drivers but can try that. I edited my OP to include that the issue affects all devices on the network. There is also a VPN connected PC that loses connection to the VPN due to the issue.

2 hours ago, MegaDave91 said:

It's the Realtek PCIe 2.5GbE Family Controller. I haven't tried installing the latest drivers but can try that. I edited my OP to include that the issue affects all devices on the network. There is also a VPN connected PC that loses connection to the VPN due to the issue.

Inform your ISP. Since you're using their equipment and all of your devices are affected, it's likely an issue on their end.

Out of curiousity, do you have any IoT gadgets that connect to your network wirelessly? They don’t usually send many packets of data for telemetry, but I wouldn’t be surprised if some were sending large chunks here and there. Try monitoring the network with GlassWire to make sure it’s not one of your own devices that is causing the problem.

52 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Inform your ISP. Since you're using their equipment and all of your devices are affected, it's likely an issue on their end.

Out of curiousity, do you have any IoT gadgets that connect to your network wirelessly? They don’t usually send many packets of data for telemetry, but I wouldn’t be surprised if some were sending large chunks here and there. Try monitoring the network with GlassWire to make sure it’s not one of your own devices that is causing the problem.

Contacting the ISP is going to be the next step come Monday. Hopefully they can provide me with the means of accessing the the modem's GUI.

I do not have any IoT gadgets, but I'm definitely going to download Glasswire. Thanks for your help!

2 hours ago, MegaDave91 said:

Contacting the ISP is going to be the next step come Monday. Hopefully they can provide me with the means of accessing the the modem's GUI.

I do not have any IoT gadgets, but I'm definitely going to download Glasswire. Thanks for your help!

I approve of a lack of iot stuff personally.  It seems like a primary venue for various kinds of bad stuff because they’re hard to update and often aren’t paid attention to.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.