Should I wait for Alder Lake or just get 5600X?

I am planning to build a relatively budget-friendly build with a 3050 Ti. But should I get a 5600X now or wait for 12 gen Alder Lake for DDR5 and PCIe 5.0? Or should I even wait for zen 4?

1 minute ago, Hector2173 said:

I am planning to build a relatively budget-friendly build with a 3050 Ti. But should I get a 5600X now or wait for 12 gen Alder Lake for DDR5 and PCIe 5.0? Or should I even wait for zen 4?

Uhhhh, I hope you know that there is no such thing as the 3050 ti.... 

If you're talking about rumors, thats another thing entirely. If you are talking about rumors then don't even try to make a list yet. There are 0 confirmations on performance or price, so you cant really be sure.

If you meant to say 3060 ti or 3070 ti then thats something else too.

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

Tier Lists and Specs List Below

Motherboard VRM tier list  -----  PSU tier list

React if you agree with me!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

The first boards that support DDR5 and PCIe 5.0 will be anything but budget friendly. That goes doubly for DDR5 RAM itself. It will be *very* expensive. I'm not sure what Intel's plans are, but Zen 4 is rumored to support both DDR4 and DDR5, most likely because most people not named Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos are still going to be buying DDR4 for a while. PCIe 5.0 is completely unnecessary. Heck, even 4.0 is largely unnecessary. It will mostly just enable more high bandwidth I/O on the boards, so you'll probably have a handful of type C instead of just one.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 minute ago, MarvintheParrot said:

Uhhhh, I hope you know that there is no such thing as the 3050 ti.... 

If you're talking about rumors, thats another thing entirely. If you are talking about rumors then don't even try to make a list yet. There are 0 confirmations on performance or price, so you cant really be sure.

If you meant to say 3060 ti or 3070 ti then thats something else too.

oh sorry, i meant 3060 Ti

It's hard to tell whether Alder lake or DDR5 will be any good. So far we've had only some rumors and some specs about the architecture of the former, and some info on the memory speed and CAS latency of the latter. We don't know what the real world performance will be or how expensive it's going to be. So to answer your question you can look at how your situation is. Do you need a need PC now or can you wait 6 months to be sure you're making the right decision?

Personaly I'd be surprised if the first generation of DDR5 ram kits and processors are the best bargain but who knows ..

Just now, Hector2173 said:

oh sorry, i meant 3060 Ti

Ah, that makes more sense! 🙂 

Is it worth it for you to wait a few months before you can even see benchmarks? Plus, when you do end up buying the parts, 2 months later, better parts will come out. Thats just how tech works. 😕 

I would get the 5600x. Its a great parring with the 3060 ti and you will thank yourself that you can use your PC now, and not wait 6 moths to use it for similar/slightly better performance. Do you have the 3060 ti yet?

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

Just now, MarvintheParrot said:

Ah, that makes more sense! 🙂 

Is it worth it for you to wait a few months before you can even see benchmarks? Plus, when you do end up buying the parts, 2 months later, better parts will come out. Thats just how tech works. 😕 

I would get the 5600x. Its a great parring with the 3060 ti and you will thank yourself that you can use your PC now, and not wait 6 moths to use it for similar/slightly better performance. Do you have the 3060 ti yet?

nope, and I dont know if i will even be able to get it, which is why im wanting an APU for now.

3 minutes ago, Hector2173 said:

nope, and I dont know if i will even be able to get it, which is why im wanting an APU for now.

If you want an APU now, get the i7 11700k, and keep it when you get the 3060 ti.

4 hours ago, MarvintheParrot said:

If you want an APU now, get the i7 11700k, and keep it when you get the 3060 ti.

What about the 5600G? Should I wait for that?

1 hour ago, Hector2173 said:

What about the 5600G? Should I wait for that?

Wait for independent benchmarks, then decide.

Are you prepared to wait until 2022? Given Intel's track record with sub 14nm desktop cpu even that might be optimistic.

Regardless of when you buy there will be bett stuff due out shortly.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.