Why is everyone mad about FB buying Oculus?

Trail Mixorz

I was mad at first but my friend said he read online that Facebook was just gonna own and fund it and mostly stay out of the production side of it. not sure if this is true or not, but if it's true, then what's the big deal?

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition | Razer Naga Molten

Facebook is Oculus's funding, why get so enraged about it? Them being bought for 2 BILLION = more funding = better product = more fun.

Because nobody likes facebook as a product or a company.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

People don't like that Oculus was kick started, and once it got going good they sold out to Facebook

I was mad at first but my friend said he read online that Facebook was just gonna own and fund it and mostly stay out of the production side of it. not sure if this is true or not, but if it's true, then what's the big deal?

Because it might not always be that way

Facebook in a year or 2 may decide to take over and close down the system, or use it for tracking data, or whatever they want.

Nobody knows facebooks intention, they are a social platform not hardware development, them buying VR is an odd move and nobody knows what they are planning to do in the future

Plus not many people trust them

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Facebook is Oculus's funding, why get so enraged about it? Them being bought for 2 BILLION = more funding = better product = more fun.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Isn't the same oculus team still working on it too? 

Because nobody likes facebook as a product or a company.

But still. if you had a small company and facebook wanted to help fund,  you'd like them then, wouldn't you?

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition | Razer Naga Molten

And they are worried that Facebook will spam ads all over it

Facebook leaves a really bad taste, and has a pretty negative impression. 

If they live up to their word, then will probably be good. But here's the problem, all we have now is word. There's no provisions for the future aside from "because we say so"

claim != reality and future

We have to wait and see. Initial anger was knee-jerk and cautious cynicism, but most of that has quelled down a bit once more statements were released and some authenticity was given to the acquisition.

The people you're referring to that are still complaining are the few with valid concerns, but for the majority parroting what they heard a few days ago since they lack analytical depth or want approval for their disapproval.

You will notice similar trends like these through society regardless of age, race, gender, or nation. People dislike Obama, people like Government, people dislike Government, people want to legalize Marijuana, people want to allow abortion, people hate EA, people think China causes job loss in America, people think Chinese goods are inferior, people think America is dumb, people hate consoles, people like PCs, people hate G+, people love the Beatles, people hate Lil' Wayne.

Ask them why? They probably won't know why themselves. On a lot of topics they won't even be able to give a compelling justification.

Error: 410

Because moron experts thought that Oculus would always stay homebrew and indie (and thus unprofitable and useless).

Oculus wanted to be more, and short of their own IPO (which would've gotten them shit) or more venture capital (which is also shit in the long run) they needed a large backer. Anyone who thinks the end game wasn't selling to a large company is truly an idiot. 

Facebook might not make the most sense, but they paid 2 billion. It will happen one way or another. It will be big, and it will be a part of our daily lives sooner rather than later now. 

Also, people just like hating Facebook and they like hating people who 'sell out'

Also, they feel that they are owed something because they funded a Kickstarter. Said people don't even realize how KS works. Its not venture capital. Its a donation. For the promise (but no assurance) of a product. Thats it. Oculus and Facebook legally and morally owe these guys fuck all. 

But still. if you had a small company and facebook wanted to help fund,  you'd like them then, wouldn't you?

exactly what @helping said: it leaves a bad taste. It's obviously a big deal if something like facebook wants to get you funded, but Oculus was a big thing. If they wanted to be funded by a company like that then they would have put themselves out there from the start and not on kickstarter. Their potential was obvious from the start.

It's like you have a small game company and it gets bought out by EA. You may get more money to start with, but your small respected company is dead and has been absorbed by something bigger that will use it in the way that suits it best.

Facebook didnt fund it out of the kindness of it's heart. It wants to make money from it. I'm sure that the Oculus devs wanted to make a good product first and foremost.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

That's exactly what I'm saying. Isn't the same oculus team still working on it too? 

Right.... big company helps small company so we SHOULD LIKE THEM right?.... RIGHT? 

Come one... are we going to judge a company in a positive light just because they helped fund a small company?(In this case BOUGHT the SMALLER COMPANY) 

Think about it... even if their goal was to help the smaller company, you still shouldn't judge them off of that single move. And in this case their intention isn't to "HELP" the smaller company, they just straight up bought them because they want to profit, they could care less if there was no potential profit in it. You can argue but their pushing to get VR out to the masses! Well if so then no shit! If I spent $2 billion dollars on a investment I sure the hell want to see all that money and more come back my way...

I highly doubt facebook is passionate about the technology, I'm sure all they see is the $ they can get. 

EDIT: actually the potential $ was made pretty obvious in that shareholder meeting.... so yeah there ya go. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Oculus and Facebook legally and morally owe these guys fuck all. 

Well that doesn't make sense. If they didn't do a kickstarter then they wouldnt have got their company off the ground, and they owe the people, morally, for letting that happen.  If they didn't need to do a kickstarter to get the money then they shouldn't have done it in the first place.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes. I was looking forward to buying one and i still may do depending on the outcome, but if it turns into a facebook social media device and is marketed mostly that way, then it's gonna be the next overpriced thing that the "cool kids" that know jack all about what they really need want (like the iphone) and it's going to be painful to associate with.

Also, they feel that they are owed something because they funded a Kickstarter. Said people don't even realize how KS works. Its not venture capital. Its a donation. For the promise (but no assurance) of a product. Thats it. Oculus and Facebook legally and morally owe these guys fuck all. 

I think most people understand that when they got into KS. But what they donated to became something else. 

I can't think of a clear metaphor, but you could maybe relate it to if you donated 100$ to the ASPCA, and, I don't know, the Kids Wish Network bought out the ASPCA.

Would you really be ok with that?

Legally there is no issue, emotionally it's there. 

Error: 410

The same team is working on it, they now just have loads of funding for it

People don't want facebook to interfere with the development of the product.

The funding is great, but no one wants to log on to facebook to play half life 3 so it knows what, where, who, when you're playing and same with all your 'friends' and the nsa.

And no one wants the branding plastered all over it or facebook apps embedded into the device.

(this is a plausible future)

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Because it might not always be that way

Facebook in a year or 2 may decide to take over and close down the system, or use it for tracking data, or whatever they want.

Nobody knows facebooks intention, they are a social platform not hardware development, them buying VR is an odd move and nobody knows what they are planning to do in the future

Plus not many people trust them

I don't thing Oculus would sell themselves to Facebook, on in a year or two for their project to get shut down or changed. Gaming is still their man intension, and I sure whatever deal they signed will keep them working on gaming.

I dont't mind them, I have always had an account and use it daily. Frankly i'm not really effected by them having my data. I chose to put it there, I cannot complain

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

My friend is always a great source...

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I think it was more about what they said for the future where they mentioned more social stuff.

Because big companies tend to mess stuff like this up. And oculus is too cool to be controlled by a company who can afford to not follow through with it as well as not listen to the community and do whatever they want. PLus facebook isnt 100% trust worthy so. who knows.