Why is premiere pro freezing?

Go to solution Solved by RTX 3070 I7 11800h,
29 minutes ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

Hi, Im using premiere pro (My new editing software) and I was editing HD I drop in a 2.7gb 4k 24p file and I scrub through and the video playback freezes. I can still hear the audio but I cant here the clip. I drop the resolution down to 1/8. still frozen or even when I cut the previous clip and start watching the 4k it just doesnt work. Help cause Im in a hurry to get this video done in under 4 hours.

Even happens with FHD!

EDIT: I feel stupid the playback doesnt go at the same time as the timeline XD

Hi, Im using premiere pro (My new editing software) and I was editing HD I drop in a 2.7gb 4k 24p file and I scrub through and the video playback freezes. I can still hear the audio but I cant here the clip. I drop the resolution down to 1/8. still frozen or even when I cut the previous clip and start watching the 4k it just doesnt work. Help cause Im in a hurry to get this video done in under 4 hours.

29 minutes ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

Even happens with FHD!

On 5/30/2021 at 11:09 AM, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

Your footage is likely not rendered. You can see a red, yellow or green line above the timeline telling you how well it will playback. If you only want to render a certain part, you can add in and out markers but clicking I and O on your keyboard. Then go to Sequence (at the top of the screen)>Render In to Out. If you want to render the whole thing you can just go to Sequence>Render In to Out.

This will happen quicker, the better computer you have.

This might not be the case however. As much as it is great, Premiere Pro can be very problematic.

Hope this helped.

11 minutes ago, VFXGuy said:

Your footage is likely not rendered. You can see a red, yellow or green line above the timeline telling you how well it will playback. If you only want to render a certain part, you can add in and out markers but clicking I and O on your keyboard. Then go to Sequence (at the top of the screen)>Render In to Out. If you want to render the whole thing you can just go to Sequence>Render In to Out.

This might not be the case however. As much as it is great, Premiere Pro can be very problematic.

Hope this helped.

this has very little to do with Premiere being problematic, which it isnt.  it has to do with the codec being asked to play in the timeline.  if it's a uncompressed codec or less compress codec, it will be easier to playback.  if it's a very high compress codec, it first needs to be decoded for playback and so performace will not be as smooth.

i installed a new gpu in my worksatation a few weeks ago, rtx 3090 which has the latest version of nvidia encoder/decoder for h264 and h265 , i can playback in premiere any interframe or long gop footage, even straihgt out of the memory card footage from gopro cameras smoothly in real time in premiere without issues.  before the gpu upgrade, i was using a older quadro card and in order to play back those same video files it was needed to transcode them to something at least like Prores or other proxy format first.  similar results in other video editing software too, it depends on if the codec of the file is compressed so needs to be decoded first

both before and after the gpu upgrades, the files were on the same nvme ssd drives in RAID 0 where I did a speed test and got data read/write speeds of about 5000 megabytes/second, so data read/write times for the storage device doesn't affect playback.

with the hardware nvenc in the new gpu, i don't even need to render the in and out points in my premiere timelines if I want to preview my edits, unless I apply dozens of layers of edits and effects and apply heavy noise reduction effects

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

10 minutes ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

this has very little to do with Premiere being problematic, which it isnt.  it has to do with the codec being asked to play in the timeline.  if it's a uncompressed codec or less compress codec, it will be easier to playback.  if it's a very high compress codec, it first needs to be decoded for playback and so performace will not be as smooth.

i installed a new gpu in my worksatation a few weeks ago, rtx 3090 which has the latest version of nvidia encoder/decoder for h264 and h265 , i can playback in premiere any interframe or long gop footage, even straihgt out of the memory card footage from gopro cameras smoothly in real time in premiere without issues.  before the gpu upgrade, i was using a older quadro card and in order to play back those same video files it was needed to transcode them to something at least like Prores or other proxy format first.  similar results in other video editing software too, it depends on if the codec of the file is compressed so needs to be decoded first

both before and after the gpu upgrades, the files were on the same nvme ssd drives in RAID 0 where I did a speed test and got data read/write speeds of about 5000 megabytes/second, so data read/write times for the storage device doesn't affect playback.

with the hardware nvenc in the new gpu, i don't even need to render the in and out points in my premiere timelines if I want to preview my edits, unless I apply dozens of layers of edits and effects and apply heavy noise reduction effects

You have a RTX 3090? Wow. I could never afford that. Unrelated, but how is it?

22 minutes ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

No its because the playback was un synced it played fine and I clicked on the video playback and it played without audio which is a little anoyying because I have to watch the video and audio seprately. Fortunately I have come up with a soloution. I just choose the learning page or go to all windows so it works. Plays timeline at same time as video.

33 minutes ago, VFXGuy said:

Hope this helped.

it was rendering.

On 5/30/2021 at 8:23 PM, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

Even happens with FHD!

1 minute ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

No its because the playback was un synced it played fine and I clicked on the video playback and it played without audio which is a little anoyying because I have to watch the video and audio seprately. Fortunately I have come up with a soloution. I just choose the learning page or go to all windows so it works. Plays timeline at same time as video.

a canon m50 in fhd 24 should not choke a 2070 max q.

1 minute ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

a canon m50 in fhd 24 should not choke a 2070 max q.

Very True.

6 minutes ago, VFXGuy said:

Very True.

4k 60 on a gopro should. (No srsly I tried that) I find that premiere pro is way better in performance than davinci resolve free version.

10 minutes ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

so your saying the problem you had was due to because you have no clue about how to use premiere?

a nvidia 2070 should have a fairly good nvenc version and is capable of handling h264 and h265 fine

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

1 minute ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

so your saying the problem you had was due to because you have no clue about how to use premiere?

a nvidia 2070 should have a fairly good nvenc version and is capable of handling h264 and h265 fine

Probably. Sorry ive wasted your time..

33 minutes ago, VFXGuy said:

You have a RTX 3090? Wow. I could never afford that. Unrelated, but how is it?

makes working with 8K footage and motion graphics easier.  Reduced some of the render time when exporting files and don’t need to spend time making proxys or transcode footage to get better performance.  Real time work with 360 vr footage too

Just now, LaFemmeEnVert said:

makes working with 8K footage and motion graphics easier.  Reduced some of the render time when exporting files and don’t need to spend time making proxys or transcode footage to get better performance.

how fast could you render a 20 minute 4k 24 h264 heavy graphics put in to it and colour grading. Estimate