Rx5700xt Taichi Edition running at 99°c

Joker0101

My rx5700xt taichi gets too hot during games when the load is 99% the temps bump upto 99 degrees I looked up in the internet and saw that all other people with similar gpu getting 75-80°c on load. Ive already tried cleaning that fans, changing the thermal paste and even opening the side window of the case to see if it works but no luck most i could do is 2-3°c drops in temp. Please help me.

6 minutes ago, Joker0101 said:

My rx5700xt taichi gets too hot during games when the load is 99% the temps bump upto 99 degrees I looked up in the internet and saw that all other people with similar gpu getting 75-80°c on load. Ive already tried cleaning that fans, changing the thermal paste and even opening the side window of the case to see if it works but no luck most i could do is 2-3°c drops in temp. Please help me.

Is it overclocked at all?

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

Tier Lists and Specs List Below

Motherboard VRM tier list  -----  PSU tier list

React if you agree with me!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

1 minute ago, MarvintheParrot said:

Is it overclocked at all?

I'm afraid not, everything is running on stock settings.

Which of the 2 temp readouts is it? and whats the other one?

1 minute ago, Luxarx said:

Which of the 2 temp readouts is it? and whats the other one?

Its the gpu temp. The hotspot gets even worse at upto 112°c.

If you're looking at the junction temp, it's good up to 110C

This is why Nvidia hides it. 

EDIT: We posted at the same time. Even when ramping up the fans to max, the temps are still insane? 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

1 minute ago, Action_Johnson said:

If you're looking at the junction temp, it's good up to 110C

This is why Nvidia hides it. 

EDIT: We posted at the same time. Even when ramping up the fans to max, the temps are still insane? 

Haven't checked that out yet but the fans gets too noisy I got it upto 75% though but no luck.

24 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Only 75%? Make it 100%, if nothing happens then the heatsink isn't making proper contact with the GPU or there's not enough paste on the card.

Do i set a fan curve or do i just run it all out?

1621736344000711359769144265308.jpg

16 minutes ago, Joker0101 said:

1621736344000711359769144265308.jpgEdit: just dropped 2°c after setting the fans at 100%. Atleast not worth all the extra noise its making.

1 hour ago, Joker0101 said:

1621736344000711359769144265308.jpg

Almost seems to me like the cooler isn't coming into contact fully with the die. When you removed it the first time, was there a thermal pad on the die or just a very thin layer of paste? 

The first thing I would check is to take the cooler off again and see what sort of contact you have between the cooler and the die. 

2 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

Almost seems to me like the cooler isn't coming into contact fully with the die. When you removed it the first time, was there a thermal pad on the die or just a very thin layer of paste? 

The first thing I would check is to take the cooler off again and see what sort of contact you have between the cooler and the die. T

Thermal paste on the chip and thermal pad on the vrm.

3 hours ago, Caroline said:

That's at 100%? 

Not very helpful I'd say, thought it'd drop to 70-75 ºC being a triple fan card but nope. 5700XT cards run hot, but not THAT hot. I'm using one rn (MSI) and never goes over 80 degrees pushing it hard with Cyberpunk or any other demanding game.

The CPU is also somewhat hot though... what case are you using? and what's your room temperature?

The case is tecware nexus evo its almost similar to the nzxt h510 i also have 5 case fans included. Two intakes from the front and the three rgb ones are exhausts. Room temperature is 25°.

IMG_20210523_120203_Bokeh__01.jpg

Didcha try running it with the side panel open, just to see if airflow's a problem, if it is, you'd see an appreciable drop in temp. I have a case with pretty good airflow (2x 200mm intake, 1x 140mm rear exhaust, 3x 120mm on 360mm AIO exhaust top) and I recall my VEGA64 running at about 70C+/90C+ under load, and now my RX 6900 XT runs at 60C+/80C+ load temp)

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

40 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

Didcha try running it with the side panel open, just to see if airflow's a problem, if it is, you'd see an appreciable drop in temp. I have a case with pretty good airflow (2x 200mm intake, 1x 140mm rear exhaust, 3x 120mm on 360mm AIO exhaust top) and I recall my VEGA64 running at about 70C+/90C+ under load, and now my RX 6900 XT runs at 60C+/80C+ load temp)

With side panel removed i get 92°c.

Those temps are way too hot. I see you tried a lot of things already.

I would say drastic times call for drastic measures. Order yourself a small tube of Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut Kryonaut paste, and do a reapply with it.

I've seen that paste drop cpu temps up to 15-20 degrees, and maybe it can get your card down to manageable levels.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

1 hour ago, Joker0101 said:

With side panel removed i get 92°c.

Assuming this is the Hotspot temp, was it with fan at 100% and at load? If so, then I think it points to bad airflow in case.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

7 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

Assuming this is the Hotspot temp, was it with fan at 100% and at load? If so, then I think it points to bad airflow in case.

The hotspot temps go all the way upto 110-113°c its the gpu temp that hits 92°c at stock fan settings 99% load. If i set up a custom fan curve it down upto 89 or so.

21 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

Those temps are way too hot. I see you tried a lot of things already.

I would say drastic times call for drastic measures. Order yourself a small tube of Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut paste, and do a reapply with it.

I've seen that paste drop cpu temps up to 15-20 degrees, and maybe it can get your card down to manageable levels.

The liquid metal one? I've heard its risky if it goes wrong so im not so confident with it. I'm also thinking of changing the thermal pads to see if that helps.

No, the paste.

Perhaps I have the names wrong as I've never used the product, just seen videos of its use.

Edit - It looks like kryonaut is the traditional paste, and Conductonaut is the liquid metal.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

oof. no fresh air intake then, NZXT cases are a hot nightmare for the components inside, the fridge looking solid front panels aren't really a proper design when it comes to computer cases. Even though the case is terrible when it comes to airflow the card shouldn't be that hot with the side panel off.

Kryonaut -or any paste that isn't the standard white mayo- will help, if applied properly. Do replace the pads on memory although your memory temp isn't critically high.

The hotspot temp is always around 80-95 degrees so don't worry about it, problem here is the GPU temp.

Word of advice: start looking for a better case for those high end parts, it'll definitely help. There's no point in having 5 fans if none of them is blowing fresh air into the case

The op says it still hits 92 without the side panel. Think it is more than the case. 

So we've deduced you've got a case airflow problem, but have you tried undervolting? That should also help with the temps. You don't need to do much either

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

19 hours ago, Joker0101 said:

Literally everyone here is skirting the entire problem and trying to blame the case.

Even with a low airflow case you're still not going to have temps this bad.  It's not like the case ambient is 50C or something...

OP: you need to take apart the card and take a picture of the heatsink (high resolution picture) as well as the GPU Core / PCB area (second high resolution picture).

Then we can tell you what you need to do at that point.

A picture will show us if you have a problem with core/heatsink/VRAM/VRM contact somewhere and will help us.

If you want to save time, most likely you're going to need to repaste and repad the GPU, HBM (if HBM is on that card), VRAM and VRM's.

This will get you started, without breaking the bank.

The easy part:

Arctic MX-5: https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-MX-5-Incl-Spatula-Non-Conductive/dp/B08T621LGC/

The hard part: Thermal pads.
Unfortunately, the exact pad dimensions of the original pads are not known.  However it's very unlikely they are all the same.

For example, on the AMD Radeon R9 290X reference blower card, all of the pads were 1mm thickness and were easily replaceable by soft, highly compressible Arctic (blue, 6 w/mk) 1mm thermal pads, which worked absolutely perfectly.  HOWEVER, this did NOT work on the Reference blower Vega 64!  Most of the VRM pads were 1mm (the VRAM was HBM, so it was part of the core package).  However a small section of VRM was offset from the other sections and needed a much thicker thermal pad on it, either 1.5mm or 2mm just for that section.  Using 1mm there caused a severe hotspot/VRM overheating issue.

One thing you can do is to measure the original thermal pads when you disassemble the card.  This will do the job.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KPZV9KR/

Then once you know the thickness, try to take note of the "edge" (thickest part/non compressed section--IF that's even possible--sometimes the entire pad is compressed), and the middle section.  Then you can choose what pads to replace with.

If you want decent quality, good compression, buy the Arctic pads, but they are more expensive than they were before the pandemic.  They used to be $12 for a 145mm * 145mm giant square.

*if you do not want to take chances, buy these genuine Arctic pads.  These are time tested and durable, although I would not use these on Ampere video cards due to how burning hot the GDDR6X runs (use Gelid Extremes or Gelid Ultimate pads instead).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UYTTXSM/

You can try the clone pads, which are a lot cheaper, but I do not know if they are the same quality nor the same compressibility as the Arctic pads.  Different thicknesses.

There are also some questionable feedback about their durability but the same comments exist about the Arctic pads when used on 3080s and 3090 FE's.  It's very possible these are the same as the Arctic pads.

https://www.amazon.com/AIYUNNI-100x100x1mm-Efficient-Conductivity-Temperature/dp/B086W119DK/

https://www.amazon.com/100x100x1-5mm-Aikenuo-Conductivity-Conductive-Temperature/dp/B075JDF6JV/

7 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

Literally everyone here is skirting the entire problem and trying to blame the case.

Even with a low airflow case you're still not going to have temps this bad.  It's not like the case ambient is 50C or something...

OP: you need to take apart the card and take a picture of the heatsink (high resolution picture) as well as the GPU Core / PCB area (second high resolution picture).

Then we can tell you what you need to do at that point.

A picture will show us if you have a problem with core/heatsink/VRAM/VRM contact somewhere and will help us.

If you want to save time, most likely you're going to need to repaste and repad the GPU, HBM (if HBM is on that card), VRAM and VRM's.

This will get you started, without breaking the bank.

The easy part:

Arctic MX-5: https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-MX-5-Incl-Spatula-Non-Conductive/dp/B08T621LGC/

The hard part: Thermal pads.
Unfortunately, the exact pad dimensions of the original pads are not known.  However it's very unlikely they are all the same.

For example, on the AMD Radeon R9 290X reference blower card, all of the pads were 1mm thickness and were easily replaceable by soft, highly compressible Arctic (blue, 6 w/mk) 1mm thermal pads, which worked absolutely perfectly.  HOWEVER, this did NOT work on the Reference blower Vega 64!  Most of the VRM pads were 1mm (the VRAM was HBM, so it was part of the core package).  However a small section of VRM was offset from the other sections and needed a much thicker thermal pad on it, either 1.5mm or 2mm just for that section.  Using 1mm there caused a severe hotspot/VRM overheating issue.

One thing you can do is to measure the original thermal pads when you disassemble the card.  This will do the job.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KPZV9KR/

Then once you know the thickness, try to take note of the "edge" (thickest part/non compressed section--IF that's even possible--sometimes the entire pad is compressed), and the middle section.  Then you can choose what pads to replace with.

If you want decent quality, good compression, buy the Arctic pads, but they are more expensive than they were before the pandemic.  They used to be $12 for a 145mm * 145mm giant square.

*if you do not want to take chances, buy these genuine Arctic pads.  These are time tested and durable, although I would not use these on Ampere video cards due to how burning hot the GDDR6X runs (use Gelid Extremes or Gelid Ultimate pads instead).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UYTTXSM/

You can try the clone pads, which are a lot cheaper, but I do not know if they are the same quality nor the same compressibility as the Arctic pads.  Different thicknesses.

There are also some questionable feedback about their durability but the same comments exist about the Arctic pads when used on 3080s and 3090 FE's.  It's very possible these are the same as the Arctic pads.

https://www.amazon.com/AIYUNNI-100x100x1mm-Efficient-Conductivity-Temperature/dp/B086W119DK/

https://www.amazon.com/100x100x1-5mm-Aikenuo-Conductivity-Conductive-Temperature/dp/B075JDF6JV/

I will try to follow these steps and will the post the pictures soon.

10 hours ago, Tech87 said:

No, the paste.

Perhaps I have the names wrong as I've never used the product, just seen videos of its use.

Edit - It looks like kryonaut is the traditional paste, and Conductonaut is the liquid metal.

Sure will try it

7 hours ago, Action_Johnson said:

So we've deduced you've got a case airflow problem, but have you tried undervolting? That should also help with the temps. You don't need to do much either

Tried it with many settings although im not good at these stuffs so randomly followed some youtube videos but that didn't help either.