PC Detects 25gb of RAM, but only 12 usable.

I've researched this for hours now and I cant seem to come up with a decent answer..

Why cant I use all my 24 gigs of RAM?
I am using 2x8gb Corsair vengance(b1,b2) & 2x4 Venom Patriot(a1,a2) in a b350 PC MATE mobo
I've re-seated the RAM 3 times now, even swapped RAM slots, no difference. Is there something im missing?
can provide more info and PC specs at request. 

LTT.PNG

Edited by Stashu

Some motherboards have ram limits. Check the motherboard website to see if they support the amount of ram you have. Also is the ram for the same manufacturer? Sometimes missmatching ram cause compatibility issues.

Just now, brentdahamster said:

Some motherboards have ram limits. Check the motherboard website to see if they support the amount of ram you have. Also is the ram for the same manufacturer? Sometimes missmatching ram cause compatibility issues.

ive had this 24 gig configuration set up before.. it isnt limited by the manufacturer. I use an MSI b350 PC MATE

It says "In use: 5,9 GB". Check what background processes are in use. You can find that in task manager (Ctrl + Shift + Escape)

10 minutes ago, Stashu said:

I've researched this for hours now and I cant seem to come up with a decent answer.. Why cant I use all my 24 gigs of RAM?

If you haven't already, try running a memory test with Windows Memory Diagnostic (Win+R, enter mdsched.exe in Run).

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

Just now, Zongohihello said:

It says "In use: 5,9 GB". Check what background processes are in use. You can find that in task manager (Ctrl + Shift + Escape)

that would be the browser open in the background using extensions and such. it has 12 gigs of 'reserved' memory but like i said ive had this config before.. very puzzling.

ltt2.PNG

Are you using a APU? If you are the rest may be dedicated to video memory. I see you have a Geforce something though so it may not be the case.

Just now, aDoomGuy said:

Are you using a APU? If you are the rest may be dedicated to video memory. I see you have a Geforce something though so it may not be the case.

1660 super, gpu

15 minutes ago, Stashu said:

that would be the browser open in the background using extensions and such. it has 12 gigs of 'reserved' memory but like i said ive had this config before.. very puzzling.

Search the forums for "hardware reserved" there's a few topics to choose from. It's possible sticks are damaged or improperly seated. It's also possible something like a disk caching software is using it. An iGPU is less likely, since they typically can't use more than 2 GB.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 minute ago, Tech87 said:

What kind of cpu are you using?

Your system may have memory reserved for the igpu.

ryzen 5 2600

I had recently moved my os/storage to an ssd because the HDD died.. maybe clearing CMOS might help? 

12gb hardware reserved it looks like. Means that the system doesn't know what to do with it. Reset all your memory to default settings in BIOS and see if that changes anything. Might not like your memory XMP/DOCP settings.

Also, updating the BIOS might help.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x