Google and Samsung unite to reboot Android watches

fUnDaMeNtAl_knobhead
15 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

What do people even see in smart watches? Tiny screen, terrible battery, firmware updates... 

And this thing is way cooler anyways:

$45,000, no problem.

/sarcasm

5 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Some people like water-cooled PC's with mechanical keyboards, others like hydromechanical watches. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Id love to know the specs of the PC + Keyboard if it costs 40 grand

Also then again, hobbies. Some people are more willing to spend more if they are interested in it

✨FNIGE✨

22 hours ago, linux fanboy said:

Hoping that somebody will make a linux smartwatch.

couldnt you just jailbreak a smart watch? only a matter of time really.

Main PC: the literature club machine

Intel I5 9600k @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI z390-a pro | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 3000Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB | Seagate barracuda 3.5" 2.5tb  | Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC | Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition

Daily drivers

OPPO A52 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Razer Deathadder V2 Pro | Beryodynamic DT 990 PRO | Focusrite Scarlett solo gen 2

I would love it if non techies could do that not only the techies

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

8 hours ago, linux fanboy said:

I would love it if non techies could do that not only the techies

well if jailbreaking was easier companies would be countering it day one. its a trade off we need to make.

Main PC: the literature club machine

Intel I5 9600k @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI z390-a pro | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 3000Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB | Seagate barracuda 3.5" 2.5tb  | Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC | Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition

Daily drivers

OPPO A52 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Razer Deathadder V2 Pro | Beryodynamic DT 990 PRO | Focusrite Scarlett solo gen 2

21 hours ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

Nope. Don't got it. Even the original iPhone was beat out by the LG Prada, although the iPhone was in development since 2004/2005. What Apple does is popularize a sometimes niche product category to a consumer audience to the point where other businesses see it as profitable to take a jab at it. E.g. iPod, iPhone, iPad, iMac, Mac mini, etc. All of these products weren't first in their category, but Apple's implementation is what stuck around. And when Apple fails (like the HomePod), they just sweep it under the rug and pretend it didn't exist.

I wouldn't call the LG Prada "first," really.

The Prada really was a dumbphone that just happened to have a touchscreen. It was the first phone with a capacitive screen, to be fair, but Apple wasn't about to lose sleep over it. There were no multi-touch gestures; the web browser was a crude WAP implementation; and media playback... oh dear.  Apple's real breakthrough was introducing the first implementation of  the modern smartphone. That is, something aimed at everyday users instead of businesspeople and hardcore enthusiasts.

And the HomePod isn't strictly a failure, since Apple is apparently enjoying solid sales for the HomePod mini. It's more that Apple thought the focus was high-quality music (which it delivered) when people really just wanted something to control their Hue bulbs and tell them about the weather. The problem isn't the hardware, it's Siri's current limitations.

As for the subject at hand: it's about time (pardon the pun).

Google has the same problem in wearables that Microsoft did with phones: it assumed its monopoly in one area would automatically ensure victory in another, and is shocked, shocked that it actually has to put in some work.

Apple keeps winning in part because it's the only major vendor that consistently shows up. There's always a new Apple Watch every year, with a new processor and a new version of watchOS. It doesn't have off-years like Google; it doesn't coast on the same chip for ages like Qualcomm. I don't know for sure that Google has learned its lesson, but partnering with Samsung seems to be an admission that it has to take things more seriously.

The concern, of course, is that Google might also be like Microsoft in understanding the gravity of the problem too late to make a difference. This could be a turnaround... but it could also be Google's Microsoft-bought-Nokia moment, a Hail Mary play from a company that should have taken action years earlier.

On 5/19/2021 at 9:10 AM, RejZoR said:

How are digital easier to read than analog where you have visual representation of day on it in hour segments? A lot of people can read analog dials easier because of this, especially when counting hours passed or hours to whatever timeline are involved.

To be fair that is a nonsense argument from mechanical watch people since having analog is an option on smart watches too. 
22ECA1AA-7259-4898-B496-8D32EB73D6BE.thumb.jpeg.5ef64790008246cba15abba576df159d.jpeg

And I agree that analog is better for speedometers and watches because it require less attention to know the speed/time with just a glance from the corner of the eye. 

I have used mechanical watches for years, mainly because the mechanics are fascinating, would never use a quartz watch even if they keep time better. 

Last year I made the jump with AW6 (as seen in picture) and my mechanical watches (that I’ve spent several thousands of $ on) have been unused since. 

A smart watch is so damn much more versitile as a tool. 

23 minutes ago, Spindel said:

To be fair that is a nonsense argument from mechanical watch people since having analog is an option on smart watches too. 
22ECA1AA-7259-4898-B496-8D32EB73D6BE.thumb.jpeg.5ef64790008246cba15abba576df159d.jpeg

And I agree that analog is better for speedometers and watches because it require less attention to know the speed/time with just a glance from the corner of the eye. 

I have used mechanical watches for years, mainly because the mechanics are fascinating, would never use a quartz watch even if they keep time better. 

Last year I made the jump with AW6 (as seen in picture) and my mechanical watches (that I’ve spent several thousands of $ on) have been unused since. 

A smart watch is so damn much more versitile as a tool. 

I never argued you can't have analog on smartwatches. Btw, how could you write more than 5 characters on the dial as monogram? I can only use 5 characters.

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

I never argued you can't have analog on smartwatches. Btw, how could you write more than 5 characters on the dial as monogram? I can only use 5 characters.

Not a monogram it’s weekday (abrevation in swedish fro”torsdag”) and date 🙂

12 minutes ago, Spindel said:

Not a monogram it’s weekday (abrevation in swedish fro”torsdag”) and date 🙂

Haha lol, ok.

Have been using AW series 3 for 2+ years, cause having notifications and wallet on my wrist is convenient af.

Unfortunately, it made my mechanical watch a special occasion thing ;(

Also don't see much point of the 'fitness capabilities' selling point, given that the only correct measurement it takes is your pulse, as far as I know.

On 5/19/2021 at 3:43 AM, RejZoR said:

It's funny how Android fanboys always go with "yeah but Android/WearOS did it first". It matters not who did it first, it matters who did it better. Google did a lot of things with Android first, but they were usually garbage implementations. Apple on the other hand came up with those features very late, but they did them much better in almost all cases.

It's also funny comparing "feature" watches with very limited functionality without always-on display with days of battery to ones running full on OS with proper always-on display that only last for a day in general.

Apple watches can run any app if developer decides to make one for it. All "feature" watches only provide support for a select range of apps that they hook into. WearOS is the same thing, but it was apparently terrible at doing a lot of things. We'll see if Google and Samsung partnership is going to fix that.

100% agree. I am a recent Apple convert, and what made me switch is the fact that Apple is the only company where its products across the board are almost 100% of the time, seamless. I can move data in between my watch, iPhone and Mac. Google (AFAIK) has not made a feature similar to continuity, and Microsoft tried with Timeline, but Timeline is garbage. Prior to switching all my devices to Apple in January, I used a Microsoft Surface, Fitbit Versa 2 & a Google Pixel 3XL. While I like the data and battery life the Versa gives, holy fuck is FitbitOS terrible as a smartwatch platform. 'Apps' on it were usually outdated and limited compared to (as you said) an Apple Watch with a Full OS. I had a Moto 360 back in 2015 so my Android Wear take may be old, but Android wear was shitty IME. It doesn't help that Google a few years back also handicapped Google Fit, which prior, allowed a bunch of data to be aggregated. I believe right now, Google Fit only records Steps, Weight, Heart Beat and Sleep but this may have changed.