Regarding RAM timing on ryzen 5000x series

Hi all

I watch this youtube clip called: The Best Memory for AMD Ryzen - A Beginner's Guide to RAM Performance. 

Where Hardware Canucks explains that memory latency isn't really that beneficial to pay extra for on ryzen 5000x series (9:59 into the clip). 

So do you guys have the same conclusion, that I could just get a CL16 3600MHz kit where timing isn't that an important parameter.

I made another post today, regarind timing where I can get lot cheaper 16-19-19-39 vs 16-16-16-36. I made a new post since this isn't a buying recommendation, since I follow the advice in that post. But just curious if it is true timing really doesn't matter that much anymore on ryzen 5000x series. 

Kind regards

vikingen. 

Based on the content I have seen/read, ryzen likes higher memory speeds, but timing doesn't seem to be as big of an issue.

If given a choice between a 3200mhz cl16 kit and a 3600mhz cl18 kit, I'd likely go with the 3600mhz kit.

In reality though, you're likely not going to see much of a difference.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

my opinion (and may be unpopular opinion):

it only affects CPU bound games at best around 20%, and by the time you're CPU bound on a ryzen 5000 series, your FPS is probably high enough that it doesnt really matter much anymore

so if you're looking at a 5600x, dont spend extra $100 on 2 CL lower RAM or something like that, where that money might be better spent elsewhere

but if you're building a baller rig like a 5900x, perhaps that extra $100 can be justified since it's probably a few % increase in overall build cost but more % in fps gains, but again, only in CPU bound games

i myself ran 3600 CL18 on my 3900x, i downgraded to 2666 CL16 to get to 32gb, so far i don't feel like anything is off or anything while saving $100

i play pretty CPU bound games, given the GPU i run

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

From my  very limited experience Zen 3 loves high speed and tight timings. There have been a few folks tell me most 5000 series don't hit 2k fclk that easily. OTOH I have talked to a few guys who can hit 2K. Mine is 2K stable and has been to 2100 fclk. 

In the end it probably doesn't matter much. Its hella fast either way.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's