Coil Whine on GPU after swapping case fans?

Inkz

So I have been hearing this occasional clicking noise from my desktop and through trial and error I found one of the case fans occasionally makes a clicking noise. So after I unlplugged the case fans and plugged them back in while I couldn't get that clicking to go away on my case fan, I now get really, really bad coil whine on my EVGA 2080 Super. I tried checking if it was CPU, CPU cooler, GPU fans, and the only thing I can do to get the noise is when something is GPU bound.

I tried taking out the card and putting it back in, taking out the GPU power pins, and still nothing. In a game I tried adjusting the framerate and the noise fell or rose accordingly to the FPS/ GPU demand. 

I have had the card for almost a year with no issues at all, I just was trying to figure out a separate issue with one of my case fans, didn't even touch the GPU and now it has it?

EDIT: I attached audio showing the sound, in the clip I went in and out of a game menu showing it come in and out

Monday at 2-27 PM.m4a

You probably just never noticed the coil whine until you unplugged the louder case fan. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, SpiderMan said:

You probably just never noticed the coil whine until you unplugged the louder case fan. 

I plugged the case fan back in immediately and it's not placebo, the coil whine is so loud I can hear it with all fans on and headphones on. It is definitely new

5 minutes ago, Inkz said:

I plugged the case fan back in immediately and it's not placebo, the coil whine is so loud I can hear it with all fans on and headphones on. It is definitely new

That's pretty strange that the coil whine occurred after unplugging the case fan. There isn't much you can do besides RMAing the graphics card (check the warranty as some manufacturer's will or won't cover coil whine as it's a natural phenomenon and does not affect the reliability of the graphics card or electrical device). But, RMA is probably the worse time considering the graphics card manufacturer may not have a replacement right now. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 hours ago, SpiderMan said:

That's pretty strange that the coil whine occurred after unplugging the case fan. There isn't much you can do besides RMAing the graphics card (check the warranty as some manufacturer's will or won't cover coil whine as it's a natural phenomenon and does not affect the reliability of the graphics card or electrical device). But, RMA is probably the worse time considering the graphics card manufacturer may not have a replacement right now. 

True, definitely weird but not impossible, I cleaned my pc as i always do , blower, vacuum, qtips, damp cloth (no, not for cleaning the mobo or something, just the fans / case) etc and I might have unplugged some fans temporarily, point is there was no change whatsoever, turned it on, tested as i always do with heaven, coilwhine!  Unbelievable, i never heard something like this before, so def not imagination...

Luckily, after thinking really hard for 2 minutes, I decided that id try my old pcie cables, even though  the new ones didnt make any issue  *up to this point* My thinking was i had to change "something" in the power delivery as my only chance other than buying a new PSU or GPU...  and, as it came, it was fixed just like that, no coilwhine whatsoever!

I think was more luck than anything though tbh.

And yes, both cables where compatible, and directly from manufacturer (bequiet!)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity