Looking for a Storage Server OS

Hello
I am looking for a storage operating system for my DL380e Gen8. I have 12x 2TB and 2x 70GB SSD storage. The raid controller is in HBE mode, which means passthrough of the disks to the server. 

It should have a web interface and support ISCSI. I have already tried Truenas. Unfortunately this does not work. 

Thanks a lot

When you mean you tried Truenas but it did not work. How so?

Try this guide:

https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/iscsi-shares-on-truenas-freenas/

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

33 minutes ago, mathisokle said:

Thanks 

The Problem was the installation. Every time I restarted the server the USB with the system on it failed to boot...

Okay. Questions:

1. Did you install TrueNAS onto the USB, if so, how and what was the error that caused the it boot to fail?
  2. Did you check if the boot order in the Bios is set to boot off the USB?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

13 minutes ago, Sir Asvald said:

Okay. Questions:

1. Did you install TrueNAS onto the USB, if so, how and what was the error that caused the it boot to fail?
  2. Did you check if the boot order in the Bios is set to boot off the USB?

1. this is a freenas data disk and cannot boot system. system halted

2. yes i did

26 minutes ago, mathisokle said:

2. yes i did

Seems like you didn't create a bootable disk. Which tool did you use? Best way to install TrueNAS is to have the 2 USB drives, one with the ISO and one where you can install TrueNAS on. That's what I did. 🙂

As your dealing with enterprise kit quite often drivers are a tad annoying.

Have you considered potentailly putting something like Microsoft Hyper-V on this / VmWare esxi? - would allow you to put any OS you like as a guest machine.

Computer Programming Nerd Guy + Computer Support @ Red Tree IT

33 minutes ago, Sir Asvald said:

Seems like you didn't create a bootable disk. Which tool did you use? Best way to install TrueNAS is to have the 2 USB drives, one with the ISO and one where you can install TrueNAS on. That's what I did. 🙂

For the boot usb I used rufus and I did the same. 

3 minutes ago, thepriceyman said:

As your dealing with enterprise kit quite often drivers are a tad annoying.

Have you considered potentailly putting something like Microsoft Hyper-V on this / VmWare esxi? - would allow you to put any OS you like as a guest machine.

It should be a storage host for my 2 other esxi 7 servers 🙂

16 minutes ago, mathisokle said:

It should be a storage host for my 2 other esxi 7 servers 🙂

I dont think freenas has proper HP Enterprise driver support - especially with the RAID cards they put in them 

Might be worth doing another ESXI and then giving all resources to the one VM on it minus the small amount of RAM / Disk (if installed locally / USB drive) that is required to run it.

Computer Programming Nerd Guy + Computer Support @ Red Tree IT

2 hours ago, mathisokle said:

For the boot usb I used rufus and I did the same. 

So you did try to boot off a USB with a TrueNAS installer Image and then install TrueNAS on another USB?

12 hours ago, Sir Asvald said:

So you did try to boot off a USB with a TrueNAS installer Image and then install TrueNAS on another USB?

yes 

15 hours ago, thepriceyman said:

I dont think freenas has proper HP Enterprise driver support - especially with the RAID cards they put in them 

Might be worth doing another ESXI and then giving all resources to the one VM on it minus the small amount of RAM / Disk (if installed locally / USB drive) that is required to run it.

Im think I will move to a windows server 2021. I wont install esxi because I already have 2 other with each 32 cores and 384 GB ram...

8 hours ago, mathisokle said:

Im think I will move to a windows server 2021. I wont install esxi because I already have 2 other with each 32 cores and 384 GB ram...

Putting a hypervisor on a nas really won't hurt you here.

But id probably just run a linux distro on the nas, like debian or centos. Should be fairly easy to use if you know linux, and much cheaper than windows.

Do you need things like ad support?

21 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Putting a hypervisor on a nas really won't hurt you here.

But id probably just run a linux distro on the nas, like debian or centos. Should be fairly easy to use if you know linux, and much cheaper than windows.

Do you need things like ad support?

I want to have a web interface for managing the Raids and more. Licencing is not a problem for me... 

1 hour ago, mathisokle said:

I want to have a web interface for managing the Raids and more. Licencing is not a problem for me... 

You can use something like cockpit on most linux distros for a nice web gui, but id really just use the cli.

Or have you looked at other nas oses like unraid.

On 5/17/2021 at 4:13 PM, mathisokle said:

2. yes i did

That means your boot order is incorrect and it's trying to boot from one of your hard drives.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

28 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

That means your boot order is incorrect and it's trying to boot from one of your hard drives.

So I reseted the bios and configured the raid controllin in HBA mode. This is my boot order:

image.png.d52c5c9ea9466cbb89227f05ec735112.png

8 hours ago, mathisokle said:

So I reseted the bios and configured the raid controllin in HBA mode. This is my boot order:

image.png.d52c5c9ea9466cbb89227f05ec735112.png

Try booting from the usb drive key, what happens if you do that?

5 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Try booting from the usb drive key, what happens if you do that?

This error accrues "this is a freenas data disk and cannot boot system. system halted"

7 hours ago, mathisokle said:

This error accrues "this is a freenas data disk and cannot boot system. system halted"

CHeck the boot controller menu, you can probably select the hdd to boot from, and usb sticks are listed there too.

I would recommend Unraid, easy and reliable