RM850x v2 vs Revolution DF850

jazz9

Hi,

I've been looking for a 850W PSU for a 5800x/3090 build and, after looking at reviews/cybenetics data/forums and what's actually available (and at what price), narrowed my search to these two.

By all accounts both seem like fine choices but I was just wondering which one you'd go for.

The Corsair is 130€ and the Enermax 120€ for info.

Thanks!

Both are excellent, personally I would rather pick the RMx, this way no risk of tripping the OCP.

DF don't trip. It's an excellent psu with good and silent fan and 12v multirail design. The cables are more flexible than the Corsair ones.

24 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

DF don't trip. It's an excellent psu with good and silent fan and 12v multirail design. The cables are more flexible than the Corsair ones.

In theory, yes.
In theory, HX850i doesn't trip either, yet there has been an instance where someone had his system trip the OCP.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/replace-working-corsair-hx850i-with-other-good-psu.3696109/

Then switch it to single rail. That might be why it's shutting down (in fact, I'm sure of it.)

To be honest I was leaning towards the DF before making this thread but this talk of potentially tripping the PSU is making me reconsider...

The reason I was leaning towards the DF is that the price difference is in fact bigger than the prices I listed.

To get to 130€ for the RMx I'd have to use a 20€ coupon (that I could use for something else if I choose the DF)

I'll think about it a little more but thanks to you both for the replies!

So I've been thinking about it some more and reading more posts here and on tomshardware's forum and I see some people recommending going even above 850W PSUs for builds similar to mine because of the crazy transients that some 850W PSUs handle just fine while others don't.

The question is which 850W PSUs do and which don't and while I thought both the ones I'm considering would fare well now I'm not so sure...

I mean there's an example just here about a HX850i having issues in multi mode and I also found someone having problems with a RM850x here, which is supposed to be fine with the new high end RTX 3000 / RX 6000 (no idea about the version but they bought it for a 2080 Ti build so I'm guessing it's a v2).

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1332924-problem-with-3090-ftw3-rm850x-combo-and-possible-replacement-advice/

So all that to say that I'm now looking at the new RM1000x for 171.90€ on Corsair's website.

Am I worrying too much or would the move to a 1000W PSU make sense (never thought I'd write that...)?

Again, thanks for the help

7 minutes ago, jazz9 said:

I mean there's an example just here about a HX850i having issues in multi mode and I also found someone having problems with a RM850x here, which is supposed to be fine with the new high end RTX 3000 / RX 6000 (no idea about the version but they bought it for a 2080 Ti build so I'm guessing it's a v2).

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1332924-problem-with-3090-ftw3-rm850x-combo-and-possible-replacement-advice/

That's ONE example, and I can tell you from reading his post just now, that's definitely not a PSU problem.

RM850x works perfectly fine witth RTX 3090.  Even the FE and FTW3.  Even with a 250W TDP Threadripper.

14 minutes ago, jazz9 said:

I mean there's an example just here about a HX850i having issues in multi mode

Yes.  Multiple +12V rails don't work with 3090 if the OCP is 40A or lower (and I believe most are).

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yes.  Multiple +12V rails don't work with 3090 if the OCP is 40A or lower (and I believe most are).

Well you just made my choice a lot easier.

Thanks

6 hours ago, jazz9 said:

Well you just made my choice a lot easier.

Thanks

Rev DF would be go-to as it cheaper and you get Multirail. Which at 850w is pretty neat. 

4 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Rev DF would be go-to as it cheaper and you get Multirail. Which at 850w is pretty neat. 

It was my first choice but the risk of tripping the OCP is putting me off.

Well I don't even know if it will be a problem with the DF in the first place to be fair (saw a post on pcpartspicker with someone with a similar enough build who had no problems

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/mQK48d )

No FE or FTW3 3090 though, "just" a XC3

Sample of one I know but then again I haven't seen anything that made me think there'd an issue with Rev DF handling RTX 3000 (save for Jonnyguru's more broad comment about most multi rail PSUs and 3090s)

MSI says on their product page that the A850GF can handle RTX 3000 GPUs and, I might be wrong on that, but I think it's using the same platform as the DF (?)

https://us.msi.com/Power-Supply/MPG-A850GF

1 hour ago, jazz9 said:

Well I don't even know if it will be a problem with the DF in the first place to be fair (saw a post on pcpartspicker with someone with a similar enough build who had no problems

its not a problem in the first place, hence me pointing to it

1 hour ago, jazz9 said:

MSI says on their product page that the A850GF can handle RTX 3000 GPUs and, I might be wrong on that, but I think it's using the same platform as the DF (?)

https://us.msi.com/Power-Supply/MPG-A850GF

its pretty much "the same" PSU as the Rev DF. so whichever is cheaper. 

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

its not a problem in the first place, hence me pointing to it

You can't switch from multirail to single rail with these PSUs.

If OCP becomes a problem, what is OP gonna do?

Very weird advice you're giving here.

@jazz9 if you choose to buy the Rev DF and start having OCP issues, don't be a jerk, keep the PSU and don't return it. Just buy a new one.

When people buy brand new PSUs, they expect to receive brand new PSUs, not used PSUs refurbished (by amazon or some other company with questionable ethics) and sold as new.

16 minutes ago, electropical said:

If OCP becomes a problem, what is OP gonna do?

read the manual. these things have quite large OCP on their 12v rails, and its easy to use 2 12v rails. and if you cant make that work, then a singlerail unit wouldnt work either........

and CWT GPU is not a plattform having those issues. 

16 minutes ago, electropical said:

Very weird advice you're giving here.

wierd advice to point to the better unit that doesnt have such issues? its an 850w unit, ideally you want to have multirail OCP at these higher wattages to start with. 

People are mentioning a non-issue. Not like im unfamiliar with how horrid the transient load is from Ampere cards. 

edit: And there is a knowledge base on what units are more easily prone to tripping. 

read the manual.

I did. Nowhere do they mention how the OCP is set.

and if you cant make that work, then a singlerail unit wouldnt work either........

?????

edit: And there is a knowledge base on what units are more easily prone to tripping. 

When that TH user had his HX850i trip in multirail, Jon had never seen that happen before, even with the testing he had already done.
Corner cases happen.

OP is far more likely to run into OCP getting triggered by false positives than he is to need multirail OCP to save him from a fire.
And to be absolutely honest, if he has the money to buy a 3090, he probably also has the money to buy a PSU that allows switching from multirail to single rail.

1 hour ago, electropical said:

When that TH user had his HX850i trip in multirail, Jon had never seen that happen before, even with the testing he had already done.
Corner cases happen

Did you read Jons answer? 

?????

2 rails. You are not locked to using a single rail on multirail units. If 80a of OCP isnt enough. A singlerail unit would trip in the same scenario. 

OP is far more likely to run into OCP getting triggered by false positives than he is to need multirail OCP to save him from a fire.

Given the wattages and units duscussed here, OCP is more likely to save him from OPP/OCP triggering too late due to singlerail. 

I did. Nowhere do they mention how the OCP is set.

Now this time, actually read the manual.......... 

Spoiler

IMG_20210517_170022.jpg.3e891089d175078fc7c5b2c94bb42764.jpg

I dont see reason to add more than one screenshot. As id encourage actually reading it. 

And to be absolutely honest, if he has the money to buy a 3090, he probably also has the money to buy a PSU that allows switching from multirail to single rail.

I dont see a reason to spend extra when these CWT GPU units dont have any track record of tripping on Ampere. And Multirail is specifically usefull on these wattages. 

Edit: i may have been a bit "snarky" (Is that a word?) With my replies, my bad in regards to that

Did you read Jons answer?

What do you understand by him saying :

Yes. Multiple +12V rails don't work with 3090 if the OCP is 40A or lower (and I believe most are)"

That he believes multiple +12V rails (OCP at 40A per rail) work just fine with 3090s?

Now this time, actually read the manual..........

Me saying "how the OCP is set" doesn't mean "how many rails there are".
It means "how many amps per rail the OCP allows before shutting down the PSU".

This

If 80a of OCP isnt enough. A singlerail unit would trip in the same scenario.

tells me you don't visualize what I'm trying to convey, and why switching to single rail solves the issue.

Anyway, no need to have beef over this, have a nice day
b49.jpg.29d7ee562adbeceacc401c8a75f3f603.jpg

42 minutes ago, electropical said:

Me saying "how the OCP is set" doesn't mean "how many rails there are".
It means "how many amps per rail the OCP allows before shutting down the PSU".

okay, i guess i missunderstood what you were asking for. Tho the documentation says its at least 40a in the user manual. And its typically set higher. Hence me kinda wondering if you read it. 

me sending that image was just to make you read it. 

43 minutes ago, electropical said:

That he believes multiple +12V rails (OCP at 40A per rail) work just fine with 3090s?

well ill inform you that the OCP on 12v3 and 12v4 is higher than 40a. However it is rated at 40a according to manual. 

also, you can more than 1 rail, which would bring the combined OCP up to a singlerail equivelent. And the rail config is set up to make that easy. 

my point is that its a non-issue with the Rev DF. And at 850w, might aswell get the singlerail. 

My point is that its a non-issue with the Rev DF. And at 850w, might aswell get the singlerail. 

Do we have actual examples of people using Rev D.F. with 3090?  Like, real users instead of hypotheticals?

5 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

and CWT GPU is not a plattform having those issues. 

GPU is not a platform that tends to have multiple +12V rails.

18 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

GPU is not a platform that tends to have multiple +12V rails.

could you shed some lights on the plattform name or variant then? 

spreadsheet lists it as "CWT GPU (V-G?)". 

and its one of the more common "GPU" variants used. I assume the MSI A GF also uses the same one, which is also multirail. 

18 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Do we have actual examples of people using Rev D.F. with 3090?

Havent had specific reports of the Rev DF working back from users who use it (thats a good thing?), tho the Whisper M is known to work with it. and thats the same plattform (as the Rev DF)

no reports that i can link to at least, but as far as im concerned, its proven itself with GA102 dies. 

and for the previously OCP greater than 40a claim:
Deepcool Gamer Storm DQ850-M PSU Review | KitGuru- Part 6

also same plattform, (according to spreadsheet, if they arent, then im not the only one eager to listen)

edit: im working off the assumption that these "GPU (V-G?)" are similar or the same within reason. 

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

IIRC, Corsair RM use GPU platform. Revolution D.F. is prabably GPU-V.

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

I didn't write the tier list spreadsheet, nor do I work for Enermax.

But to add multiple +12V rails, you have to have current shunts to measure that current and a supervisor IC that supports multiple +12V OCP (or multiple ICs).  GPU has neither of these.  It could be a variant, but it's not a variant I've worked with.

Went ahead and bought the RM850x v2.

I don't doubt that the DF is a quality PSU, it was my first choice (and it being cheaper was just a bonus, not the main reason at all) but I'd rather take the seemingly safer route with the RM850x.

Emphasis on "seemingly" as I've seen nothing that made me think the DF wouldn't be up to the task but it's just so much easier to find "success stories" with the Corsair as they're more popular.

Also had a RM550x in the past that powered a 6700k@4.5 + 2080 with a 300W vBIOS without issue (pushing it I know...) and the thing was very quiet while doing so, so not in completely unknown territory.

And the 10y warranty is nice

Thanks to you all for the help, very much appreciated!