Sonova buys sennheiser headphone division

spartaman64

Wow.. Surprising to say the least.

I would think it has been quite a profitable division for a long while but I can understand the idea behind it:

I am somewhat of an audio nerd (as far that it is my profession), but I start to struggle on personal level with finding simple earbuds

to use on the go.

I don't like the idea of wireless buds/headphones and not just because of the audio quality you are compromising, but mainly because I don't feel the need

for more battery powered devices in my life that can be dead at times of need.
The wired Sennheiser ones that I have used for ages and ages (CX-300) were suddenly less and less available online and in stores and are now

not available at all!

I'm currently testing another model but not a big fan so far.

Based on this I can understand the idea behind an unsure future for wired headphones on consumer level if you don't want to get into the wireless stuff as a company.

On the other hand 60% of the audio colleagues I have here in the Netherlands own a Sennheiser Headphone product for professional purposes,

but the fact that mine is already 12 years old an has endured heavy touring 😉 makes it not a quick buck to just go with a Pro division.

Building and repairing PC's for many years / Previous head of Apple Repair Center Team NL /

Audio Engineer / Daily Driving Linux since my parents basement

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professional Purposes and on the go: MacBook Pro Retina 15" / Apple Mac Mini 2019 (i7)
Flight Simulation / Gaming / Daily: Self built [AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 32GB DDR4 3200 / GTX 1660 OC / Windows 10 Pro / Fedora KDE (dual boot)

Plex Media Server + Home Assistant: Intel NUC

Data Server: i7 860 / 24GB DDR3 / 10TB / unRAID
Mobile: OnePlus Nord 2 / Lenovo IdeaPad Duet / Apple iPad Air 1

• 4 weeks later...

Luke's line epitomizes this perfectly. 

Planned obsolescence is a thing, and Sennheiser didn't do it.... and they are gone.

On 5/7/2021 at 11:22 PM, forum user said:

0za9l3xoepx61.png

The memes are strong already lol.

image.thumb.png.1ea7179567419b8b972db7dc7c14e913.png

On 5/8/2021 at 10:52 AM, dalekphalm said:

Are they still going to manufacture other, non consumer oriented audio products, like professional Mics, pro/studio speakers, headphones, etc?

I think they are.

Because there pro audio market is big, there wireless I have seen all over, there mics are famous for stage and location.

Also if anybody cares sennhiser (headphone wise) is probably not going to stop making:

HD280

HD600 series(probably these are gold standered for mixing)

HD25

HD300

HD200

HD26

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

3 minutes ago, sub68 said:

huh duh six hunge-0s

Dankpods uses them for comparison when reviewing other headphones so yeah those are important!

15 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Luke's line epitomizes this perfectly. 

im not sure if i 100% agree with that. other proper "audiophile" headphone manufacturers with the exception of maybe hifiman make headphones that are built to last. in fact sennheiser is probably on the lower side in terms of build quality

14 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

Dankpods uses them for comparison when reviewing other headphones so yeah those are important!

Yep they are and they are really good for alot of things too.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

15 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

that are built to last. in fact sennheiser is probably on the lower side in terms of build quality

Depends, there studio monitors are built like tanks.

Any studio monitors are normally built tough.

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

7 minutes ago, sub68 said:

Depends, there studio monitors are built like tanks.

Any studio monitors are normally built tough.

like when you look at the hd800 its made of plastic. tbf i dont think they are doing that to cut cost but rather for the lighter weight to be more comfortable. but when you look at their competitors like the LCDX, focal clear, zmf auteur they are made of metal which is more durable

29 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

like when you look at the hd800 its made of plastic.

True

29 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

but when you look at their competitors like the LCDX, focal clear, zmf auteur they are made of metal which is more durable

I think it might be that they find plastic better for some reason.

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 minute ago, sub68 said:

True

I think it might be that they find plastic better for some reason.

yeah they are prioritizing lighter weight and comfort 

9 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

yeah they are prioritizing lighter weight and comfort 

My Sony MDR 7506.

1797928025_IMG_4896(2).JPG.78e6a545ce8023c50c13f77cc8744648.thumb.jpeg.69ec39e3e46b624733a3d12e64bac449.jpeg

Has a lot of plastic.

But it's really good plastic.

The earcups and adjust meant are metal.

But these are tanks, I have seen pairs that have been through hell and back, they still work.

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang