Is it SAFE to use a 2x molex adaptor to 8pin run Rx 580?

jordanjmdurno

Is it SAFE to use a 2x molex adaptor to 8pin run Rx 580? I'm unable to find any stores that sell a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter so I was wondering if it is safe to use a molex to 8 pin adapter:) My pcu is 400w.  Thx

You should never adapt power to fit the needs. Buy a new proper PSU to support what you need. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

18 minutes ago, jordanjmdurno said:

I was wondering if it is safe

there's always a risk, and using an adapter on a questionable power supply that doesnt have PCIE power natively carries even more risk

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

19 minutes ago, jordanjmdurno said:

Is it SAFE to use a 2x molex adaptor to 8pin run Rx 580? I'm unable to find any stores that sell a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter so I was wondering if it is safe to use a molex to 8 pin adapter:) My pcu is 400w.  Thx

Nope,that card draws alot of power its not going to work,just replace the power supply.

Correction, I actually have a 470w psu. Could I maybe plug the 6 pin PCI-e straight into the card?  I'm pretty broke rn and can't afford a new psu yet.

20 minutes ago, jordanjmdurno said:

Correction, I actually have a 470w psu. Could I maybe plug the 6 pin PCI-e straight into the card?  I'm pretty broke rn and can't afford a new psu yet.

Does the GPU  have a 6 pin and 8 pin or just one 8 pin?

You could get an rx 570,rx480 or rx 470 that are obviously weaker but will work with your PSU.

Only an 8 pin... Just got the gpu for a good price so I'd rather scrape together and get a newer psu hehe

6 to 8 pin is your best bet. What model of PSU you got. it matters quite a bit. Also if you plan to run pci-e 3.0 vs 2.0 - see motherboard. If on 2.0 you might not get enough combined wih 6 to 8 pin

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

3 hours ago, jordanjmdurno said:

Only an 8 pin... Just got the gpu for a good price so I'd rather scrape together and get a newer psu hehe

then the adapter could work.