Apple AirTag removed from sale in some Australian stores, due to Child Safety chocking hazard regulations.

Dirtyshado
1 hour ago, Video Beagle said:

Sg-1? Amanda Tapping (Samantha Carter)?  Did she tell her husband of near 30 years? 🙂

Might you be thinking of Gillian Anderson from X-Files?

No. Amanda tapping.  You’re saying she didn’t come out as gay and I’ve got it wrong?  That’s possible.  Still works really well if the character is gay though.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Heh.  I binged stargate sg1 recently. A show from when I was much younger.  That show ran a long time.  The first few seasons there were CRTs everywhere.

What I find terrifying is I grew up in NorthDakota in the 70’s and I’m hearing racist stuff in the news lately that I thought stayed in 1970’s ND.  Sometimes worse even.  Stuff that would have been called out even then.

Hehe, I'm just re-watching Stargate SG-1 and I'm just at season 8 and they already had LCD monitors on backup Alpha site 🙂 But yeah, show started in 1997 and CRT's were everywhere, but later in season 8, it was already year 2005 and LCD's were already a thing then. Remember when CRT's in Alien were considered high tech and no one questioned it on hyper advanced space ships. Fast forward, we have paper thin bendable OLED displays, but still no hyper advanced space ships 😄

Is it just me, or is this incredibly stupid? It's like removing scissors from stores because they're sharp. Yes, it's a small object, but there are lots of other small objects out there that children could choke on. It just seems kinda dumb.

On 5/8/2021 at 3:51 AM, Video Beagle said:

While I think it's a bit over reaching, the actual ban is on non-edible things inside of edible things..which kind of makes sense.

But..... there’s so many things. 
popsicles, lollipops, that air that’s inside of all of those giant chocolate things (/s ofc), more that I can’t think of because  half asleep still that have things in them.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Nintendo solved this issue in part by coating the Switch cartridges with denatonium benzoate. It's a bitterant to discourage children from putting stuff in the mouth, and as a nail coating to discourage children from sucking their thumb. It's also used in industrial products (such as office supplies of canned compressed air) to make "huffing" an unpleasant experience for those with substances abuse issues.

I wonder what people eats for a dinner in Austrialia, a cooked and stuffed crocodile or grilled kangaroo.

And what do children gets for a dinner? Right, a pack of AirTags?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

As Apple's statement says: you already have to do a two part action to open an airtag and I rather doubt an infant is going to be able to do it.  Playing with the Airtag I have here, it definitely requires a push and a twist...twist alone won't undo the cover.  And because it's stainless steel and plastic it needs 2 fingers worth of skin to have enough friction to do it.

Apple clearly already made an effort here.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

13 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Heh.  I binged stargate sg1 recently. A show from when I was much younger.  That show ran a long time.  The first few seasons there were CRTs everywhere.

What I find terrifying is I grew up in NorthDakota in the 70’s and I’m hearing racist stuff in the news lately that I thought stayed in 1970’s ND.  Sometimes worse even.  Stuff that would have been called out even then.

That is because the FILM was made in 1994. SG-1 was filmed in 1997. Affordable LCD screens came out in 1996, but there wasn't rapid uptake until 2001, and the very large ones didn't appear until 2006 (you know, the kind that you see on film sets now, which were previously projection screens). Apparently the real location have a security door labeled "Stargate Command" which is a broom closet.

https://moviemaps.org/movies/1e

This is drifting off topic though.  

Most of the time "stuff that will choke you" is a consequence of poor planning, not so much design. Like the "king cake", anyone who bakes will tell you, you would put that in the cake after it was cooked (probably from the bottom, or by cutting it entirely in half) and everyone is told that it's in the cake, so don't go shoving the entire thing in their mouth. I've never had one, but I've had experiences before where coins were hidden in a cake, and they did that, again, by putting the coins in wax paper and put between the layers. Of course kids often started eating the cake without listening. But the adults were watching carefully.

14 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Like the "king cake", anyone who bakes will tell you, you would put that in the cake after it was cooked (probably from the bottom, or by cutting it entirely in half) and everyone is told that it's in the cake, so don't go shoving the entire thing in their mouth.

Ye of little faith. 

28 minutes ago, Kisai said:

That is because the FILM was made in 1994. SG-1 was filmed in 1997. Affordable LCD screens came out in 1996, but there wasn't rapid uptake until 2001, and the very large ones didn't appear until 2006 (you know, the kind that you see on film sets now, which were previously projection screens). Apparently the real location have a security door labeled "Stargate Command" which is a broom closet.

https://moviemaps.org/movies/1e

This is drifting off topic though.  

Most of the time "stuff that will choke you" is a consequence of poor planning, not so much design. Like the "king cake", anyone who bakes will tell you, you would put that in the cake after it was cooked (probably from the bottom, or by cutting it entirely in half) and everyone is told that it's in the cake, so don't go shoving the entire thing in their mouth. I've never had one, but I've had experiences before where coins were hidden in a cake, and they did that, again, by putting the coins in wax paper and put between the layers. Of course kids often started eating the cake without listening. But the adults were watching carefully.

Show had a ten year run. So it probably ended 2007 or something.  It was a long binge. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 hours ago, CTR640 said:

I wonder what people eats for a dinner in Austrialia, a cooked and stuffed crocodile or grilled kangaroo.

And what do children gets for a dinner? Right, a pack of AirTags?

Crocodiles are too big to eat like that.  I understand alligator tastes like chicken though. I watched a video once on absolutely immense fat tail sheep ranches there which is a meat breed. (There are apparently a limited number of animals that can even survive in the desert outback, but apparently fat tail sheep are amongst them)

Edited by Bombastinator

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Crocodiles are too big to eat like that.  I understand alligator tastes like chicken though. I watched a video once on absolutely immense fat tail sheep ranches there which is a meat breed.

Lmfao I totally forgot about alligators! Well, as long as kids can go strong by eating crocs or alligator, it's fine I guess. Safer and healthier than AirTags.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

21 hours ago, JediFragger said:

Not gay, and still very bangable.

I believe she is considered "bi"

20 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

No. Amanda tapping.  You’re saying she didn’t come out as gay and I’ve got it wrong?  That’s possible.  Still works really well if the character is gay though.  

Yeah, wasn't her... the doctor character had that feel about her, but the show never explored it iirc.

18 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

But..... there’s so many things. 
popsicles, lollipops, that air that’s inside of all of those giant chocolate things (/s ofc), more that I can’t think of because  half asleep still that have things in them.

Upthread I posted stuff on the law it is, sticks in lollipops are functional to eating it, so are allowed, while a toy is not.

The main part of the law was about drugs needing to be proved safe before being put on the market, so not sure why a bit about candies was tacked on, but I was quoting from just an article about the eggs, not an indepth history of the relevant 100 year old law. shurg

9 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Show had a ten year run. So it probably ended 2007 or something.  It was a long binge. 

you can see a lot of changes like that in shows that run long from the 2000's...tech changes were more dramatic in 90's 2000s than previous, where like you might seen phone designs change...while later you'd have phone's give way to mobile phones..big mobiles to small cell phones like flip phones then into smart phones.

If you watch a show like Leverage, which that kind of technology is a major prop you see it.. Phineas and Ferb went from flip phones to smart phones in one summer!!

12 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

As Apple's statement says: you already have to do a two part action to open an airtag and I rather doubt an infant is going to be able to do it.  Playing with the Airtag I have here, it definitely requires a push and a twist...twist alone won't undo the cover.  And because it's stainless steel and plastic it needs 2 fingers worth of skin to have enough friction to do it.

Apple clearly already made an effort here.

I'd imagine when the hearing or whatever happens it'll get dealt with.

Bureaucracy.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎