Valve to start charging 1$ a month for better CSGO statistics

Andreas Lilja

As far as I can tell, the only real new information you get in the stats page is the accuracy stats and heatmap. Match data / statistics are still available for free under CS:GO's "Personal Game Data" on your Steam games list. The stats page was added in-game as a part of Operation Broken Fang for players who bought the pass. The data was never freely available in this format prior to the operation. Doesn't seem compelling enough for me to pay for, but some of my friends have and they like it. 

I don't really know what stats this paid option provides, but it's not like stats are that important in a game like CS. They are heavily influenced by your rank and playing for stats can often hinder your ability to play with your team. There are services that provide more interesting and detailed stats anyway (leetify, iirc).

On 5/6/2021 at 9:55 AM, Sauron said:

I mean, if this is ok then who is to say you won't suddenly have to start paying to access competitive ladders in games you already paid full price for when that feature was included?

That wouldn't be such a horrible idea tbh, it would definitely somewhat mitigate the cheater problem.

Edited by PCGuy_5960

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

That wouldn't be such a horrible idea tbh, it would definitely somewhat mitigate the cheater problem.

As a one time payment... maybe. Used to be a paid for game after all. I was specifically talking about making a ladder subscription based on top of full price for a game that originally came with that ladder included.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

As a one time payment... maybe. Used to be a paid for game after all. I was specifically talking about making a ladder subscription based on top of full price for a game that originally came with that ladder included.

I was talking about a subscription, some players have actually been asking for this. Not as a replacement of course, but as an additional paid ranked playlist. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

I was talking about a subscription, some players have actually been asking for this. Not as a replacement of course, but as an additional paid ranked playlist. 

Then I feel like that would be false advertisement at least to the people who bought the game when it wasn't free to play. Even if it doesn't replace the original ladder it would inevitably divide the playerbase and restrict "proper" competition to the paid ladder.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

11 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Then I feel like that would be false advertisement at least to the people who bought the game when it wasn't free to play. Even if it doesn't replace the original ladder it would inevitably divide the playerbase and restrict "proper" competition to the paid ladder.

Perhaps, but this is kind of already happening in CS. Most people who take the game seriously (including pros) are almost exclusively playing on third party servers (mainly faceit), a service like this would just bring those players back on official servers rather than third party ones.

19 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Perhaps, but this is kind of already happening in CS. Most people who take the game seriously (including pros) are almost exclusively playing on third party servers (mainly faceit), a service like this would just bring those players back on official servers rather than third party ones.

That probably is the point. This kind of stuff (at least in other games) get used by the kind of people who would otherwise go to a third party site and use an unauthorized tool to do the stats tracking. Plus if that information was no longer broadcast directly to the game client, it can't be scraped. At least not that way.

What I would look for is some sudden shift in player skill as a result of this.

I'm guessing most people saying 'this is stupid' probably haven't played competitive games before; ESEA has had stats for a ridiculously long time, before CS:GO was even a thing.

It simply provides more information and a granular breakdown of games, and ways to quantify the skill of yourself and all the players on the service. Some of that might be actionable, some of it might not be. By that type of logic, all the professional sports leagues tracking stats seem pointless; "as long as the score and record are accounted for, what's the point of individual stats?"