2x HDD's still working, but should I replace them anyway?

Eighjan

I have one each of the following in my system on the corresponding duties:

ST31000333AS - "My Documents" drive; to keep the data off my System drive

ST3500418AS - Mostly for secondary storage of stuff that I've done on my PC for my wife

Both are "ancient" drives; the 1TB unit used to be a USB external drive for a friend's movie storage that had an interface fail & he sent me the drive to see if it had any use left after he got a new movie storage solution.

Does there come a time where it's better to just replace working drives due to age...?

Would a new 2-4TB unit be a better all-round solution, anyway?

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

6 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Does there come a time where it's better to just replace working drives due to age...?

Not really, no. There are plenty of drives that work perfectly well for well over a decade -- including some I have in actual, active use myself.

The far better strategy is...to have backups. Do not rely on your drives not failing on you, because even a brand-new drive can fail all of a sudden; what you should do is maintain backups of all the stuff you don't want to lose.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Do not rely on your drives not failing on you

That's exactly what I want to avoid...

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

what you should do is maintain backups of all the stuff you don't want to lose.

... add more drives (in another 'box'), rather than replace what I have?

Edited by Eighjan

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

WHY NOT...?!

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

The far better strategy is...to have backups

Yep, I try to make backups monthly to a old external 500gb hdd, but I plan to get some cheap laptop hdd/ssd, so I can use my sata to usb converter.

1 minute ago, Eighjan said:

,,, add more drives (in another 'box')

That, or USB-drives or a premade NAS or similar stuff, yes. Whichever option suits you best, as long as you take backups periodically (or setup some sort of an automatic backup-scheme) and the storage isn't directly connected to your PC at all times -- if e.g. the PSU blew up, it might take both of your regular drives and your backup-drives with it, so it's a good idea to keep them at least partially separated.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

9 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

That, or USB-drives or a premade NAS or similar stuff, yes. Whichever option suits you best, as long as you take backups periodically (or setup some sort of an automatic backup-scheme) and the storage isn't directly connected to your PC at all times -- if e.g. the PSU blew up, it might take both of your regular drives and your backup-drives with it, so it's a good idea to keep them at least partially separated.

MAJOR facepalm...

Just looked & realised I had the backup file for F:\ drive stored ON the F:\ drive.  😬

Now rectified.

9 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

and the storage isn't directly connected to your PC at all times

Think I'll look into a 2TB 2½" SSD that I can use with a USB to S-ATA convertor I bought recently...

WHY NOT...?!

Dunno that it'd make a difference, but CrystalDisk just told me that both HDD's as S-ATA 300... didn't realise they were THAT old.

Also; could this be why the external device that the 1TB HDD came from failed?

CrystalDiskInfo_20210504135156.png

WHY NOT...?!

Just ordered a Seagate ST2000DMZ08...

WHY NOT...?!

Reallocated sectors count error usually it's related to bad sectors on the drive,so make a copy of important docs.

Segate is not trusted HDD  manufacture,I have 4 WD drives which still work after 9 years no issues yet.

WD for life.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.