screen casting with 0 lag

raziel4635

Hello,

I just moved to a new flat and wondering if there is any way to mirror/extend/use only a tv screen thats on the other side of the room wirelessly with zero lag so I can play games with no problem without having to move my laptop and the charger everytime.

I was using an HDMI cable on my old flat but this is much bigger and don't want cables running all over the floor.

I'm more interested in extending the screen since then I can have a video stream on laptop while playing on the tv screen,is that possible with wireless methods?

thanks.

i dont know how quick discord is but i think it doesn't have much lag, you could probably use that

oh I propably should have mentioned that my tv doesn't have wifi built it but needs a specific external adapter by samsung to have wifi and since its an older model,I'm not sure how easy/cheap it is to find.

so I need an extra dongle or sommething for tv wifi

20 hours ago, raziel4635 said:

oh I propably should have mentioned that my tv doesn't have wifi built it but needs a specific external adapter by samsung to have wifi and since its an older model,I'm not sure how easy/cheap it is to find.

so I need an extra dongle or sommething for tv wifi

Thats bit of problem. Even with native connection, you might have had some lag as adding network will add lag. Unless its 10gb connection. I've seen how Chromecast works in space similar to yours. And there was noticeable, like 3 second lag between TV and PC (we were spectating people playing driving games).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

well that sucks....better start looking for other alternatives then....

Steamlink (or the Steamlink Android app on an Android TV) seem to be a good option. Apparently Nvidia shield TV is really good for this, otherwise a long HDMI cable (possibly with signal repeaters) would be your best option. 

• 3 weeks later...

Steam link is a very viable option here. From what I understand, it streams games from your computer to the link, anywhere in your house, so long as you can get an ethernet connection to it. Apparently, it does support wifi, but it's best to use a wired connection.

Pros: 

supports remote play

supports most gamepads

relatively cheap (I'm finding them used for $20-$50 USD

can use the steam link app on supported smart devices (a phone, or tablet and could be wired to a TV through an adapter cable)

supports 60fps at 1080p

you won't need to get an adapter for your TV

Cons:

streaming will cut down on performance of the game, even though it's technically running on your main PC

wired network connection is highly recommended, if not required altogether for decent performance

not all games are guaranteed to run well

you'll need to get extra hardware for input (mouse and keyboard, since you're using a laptop, or a controller)

I actually own a steam link, but I haven't used it yet because I haven't had a need for it yet. It came bundled with a steam controller that I bought used. If you're interested in this route, I could set mine up and see how it goes so I can provide a brief review

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 Six-core

Mobo: Gigabyte B450M-DS3H

Ram: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8gb DDR4 3200MHz

GPU: Gigabyte RX 590 8gb

Case: Cooler Master Elite 431

Storage: 2Tb Barracuda HDD

500gb HDD

PSU: EVGA 650GT 80 Plus Gold

hello,

thanks for your answers but I decided to reorganise my space and as a result I can now connect the pc with the tv with a 2m HDMI cable without it getting TOO much in the way.

steam link sounds like a very nice thing but those cons you listed....eeeeh....kinda bad 😛