Windows memory diagnostic

Long story short , i built a new pc , everything ran fine (first build)

after 2 days i got a memory bsod.

i ran Windows memory diagnostic , it detected a problem almost imedietly.

I unmounted the ram sticks and blew out any potential dust on the sockets as well ram sticks it self.

i inserted them again started the pc and turn on Windows memory diagnostic again its been about 10 mins and ni problems found right now . I Will let it run and finish and probably do a mem86 test aswell.

but of everything clears should i do a clean Windows install again after or is it fine with out ?

Thanks for the hell btw this forum is awesome!

24 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

A casual check with Memtest86 should be enough. There is no need to reinstall the OS if you encounter RAM issues.

Thanks for the reply but mem86 found problems immeadiatly now.

my specs:

i9-10900k

gpu: rtx 3080 rog strix

ram: 4x8 trident z royal 3600 mhz cl16

motherboard: z490 xii hero maximus Wi-Fi

aio:nzxtz73

mem86 found problems immediatly should i test Every ram stick on singel Chanel mode or every ram stick om every Chanel individually ?

Also should i cancel mem86 ?

This is what i got ... guess something is really wrong.

and pressing a key wont work 

A7F96A4D-A8A1-4F76-B908-3B4F0BD00319.jpeg

Currently testning 1 stick , so far its fine .

but its says 4 passes total shouldnt it be more ?

0FF18A00-4A9F-4D91-B49D-F56A31BD9505.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Castiell said:

but its says 4 passes total shouldnt it be more ?

4 passes is the default config, you need to manually change it for more or less. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

11 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

4 passes is the default config, you need to manually change it for more or less. 

Ohh okay , how many passes should i put it on ?

thanks for the respons btw

I did a memtest86 with xmp on .

all 4 slots occupied new pc build and got 10k+ errors.

currently testning sticks indvually on slot 2 , tested 2 sticks currently both of them passed , doing 4 runs on every test .

should i buy the PRO edition for more runs? if no ram gets an error i Will try every stick om every slot and then start to pair them.

and Also in very new to oc building and all the software and stuff like that.

but all the bios and drivers are up to date.

specs:

Cpu- i9 10900k

mobo: z490 xii hero maximus Wi-Fi

ram: g skill trident z royal 3600 mhz cl16 4x8 GB

gpu: 3080 asus rog strix oc

aio: nzxt z73

chassi lian li o11 dynamic

no manual oc is ont xmp.

would really appreciate the help ! Put alot of money and time in this.

Also should i change any settings on memtest?

it's possible that you need to put more juice in your memory controller at the very least and also possibly need to adjust some other DRAM related settings in BIOS.

XMP will just set the DRAM speed and timings but it may not adjust your other DRAM related settings.

But its on the gskill qvl , so should i really ?

and isnt 10k errors a bit much for that too be the problem, Thanks for the reply btw

13 minutes ago, Castiell said:

But its on the gskill qvl , so should i really ?

and isnt 10k errors a bit much for that too be the problem, Thanks for the reply btw

you need 0 errors.

QVL doesen't take in account the quality of the CPU memory controller, that's the same reason why you're never guaranteed to be able to run those high 5GHz kits by just enabling XMP as that requires a lot more manual tuning with the BIOS besides just simply enabling XMP.

2 hours ago, WereCat said:

you need 0 errors.

QVL doesen't take in account the quality of the CPU memory controller, that's the same reason why you're never guaranteed to be able to run those high 5GHz kits by just enabling XMP as that requires a lot more manual tuning with the BIOS besides just simply enabling XMP.

Sorry for being so newbie so what exactly should i tune in the bios ?

27 minutes ago, Castiell said:

Sorry for being so newbie so what exactly should i tune in the bios ?

adjust memory controller voltage, I believe on Intel it's called System Agent Voltage (don't know by how much, I don't have experience with 10th gen).

You may need to bump up the DRAM voltage as well if you have a voltage droop due to LLC or at the very least try LLC (Load Line Calibration) that has less voltage droop.

Then you may also need to change VTTDDR voltage (should be 1/2 of the DRAM voltage) and VPP_MEM voltage.

But honestly, in most cases adjusting DRAM voltage and System Agent voltage should do the trick. Just be careful with the SA Voltage as high values may damage your CPU in the long term.

15 minutes ago, WereCat said:

adjust memory controller voltage, I believe on Intel it's called System Agent Voltage (don't know by how much, I don't have experience with 10th gen).

You may need to bump up the DRAM voltage as well if you have a voltage droop due to LLC or at the very least try LLC (Load Line Calibration) that has less voltage droop.

Then you may also need to change VTTDDR voltage (should be 1/2 of the DRAM voltage) and VPP_MEM voltage.

But honestly, in most cases adjusting DRAM voltage and System Agent voltage should do the trick. Just be careful with the SA Voltage as high values may damage your CPU in the long term.

I Will try to do that when im Home from work , appreciete ur answers!

so do you have any idea on what i should bump it with ?

dram voltage and system agent voltage

So long story short , i ecnountered bsods on my new system , so i did a memtest86 , i got like 10k errors then it stopped scanning (too many errors) , withing like 10 secondos.

So i tested all the ram with xmp on indivually 2 passed 2 didnt .

Then i tested the 2 ones that did work on dual channel with xmp on they got like 7 errors (4 runs)

Then i tested them in dual channel without xmp on they passed?

Specs of system:

I9 10900k cpu

Motherboard: xii maximus hero wifi

Ram: 4x8 3600mhz cl 16 g skill trident z royal

chassi: lian li o11 dynamic

aio:nzxt z73

2 ssds: 1 970 evo plus 2TB and 1 250GB 980 pro

So my question is , do you guys think that the auto oc that is on for this motherboard that boosts the cpu is making my ram unstable or is it something else , its a completley new system , ihavent tweaked anything in the bios besides turning on xmp.

Can anyone please help me , im at a loss here 😞 My first pc build i was so excited , and i have been trying too solve this issue for the past 3 days now.

Probably just that XMP is too high for that system, you'll need to tweak manually either with higher voltage for the XMP freq, or lower freq than XMP.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

so is my system not good enough for xmp ? i mean its still is a very high end system no ?

Officially your CPU only supports up to 2933MHz RAM, anything above is overclocking. With 3600MHz RAM when you turn on XMP it'll try to run at 3600. That might be too much of an overclock for your particular system, or require other adjustments such as RAM voltage.

You can try to manually set RAM freq a bit lower like 3400.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

what voltages should i tweak exactly`?

but still that dosent explain , why 2 ram sticks made it alone through xmp and 2 others didnt , arent atleast 2 ram sticks bad then ?

8 minutes ago, Castiell said:

but still that dosent explain , why 2 ram sticks made it alone through xmp and 2 others didnt , arent atleast 2 ram sticks bad then ?

I have tested memtest86 on my old rams for ages and didn't get any errors after several passes. So I know those sticks are good but, in your case it's obvious either they have a bad XMP profile on the chip or they actually are faulty. 

There are ton's of videos on Youtube on how to play around with ram ratios. Stay in a safe zone and see what works. And if that option doesn't get them replaced. 

20 minutes ago, Roshill1 said:

I have tested memtest86 on my old rams for ages and didn't get any errors after several passes. So I know those sticks are good but, in your case it's obvious either they have a bad XMP profile on the chip or they actually are faulty. 

There are ton's of videos on Youtube on how to play around with ram ratios. Stay in a safe zone and see what works. And if that option doesn't get them replaced. 

49 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Officially your CPU only supports up to 2933MHz RAM, anything above is overclocking. With 3600MHz RAM when you turn on XMP it'll try to run at 3600. That might be too much of an overclock for your particular system, or require other adjustments such as RAM voltage.

You can try to manually set RAM freq a bit lower like 3400.

So this is dual channel with xmp on , is this ram error or anything else ?

18E6A3FF-C8E3-41A5-A1CA-A6E6AD783138.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Castiell said:

So this is dual channel with xmp on , is this ram error or anything else ?

18E6A3FF-C8E3-41A5-A1CA-A6E6AD783138.jpeg

I think I may have the answer 

When you see errors while running MemTest86 with multiple RAM modules installed, but not when they are tested individually, it is likely that the multi-channel configuration is the culprit. This could be due to mismatched RAM specifications, or simply using brands/models of RAM that is incompatible with the motherboard. Most motherboard vendors release a list of known compatible RAM models that have been tested to work with your motherboard. Replace the modules with a matching set of known good ones and see if you get better results.

Have you updated your Bios yet? And if not try that. 

Try to check what rams are compatible with your motherboard just to be sure. I think it might be a old bios that may not have the information for the new dimms. 

10 minutes ago, Roshill1 said:

I think I may have the answer 

When you see errors while running MemTest86 with multiple RAM modules installed, but not when they are tested individually, it is likely that the multi-channel configuration is the culprit. This could be due to mismatched RAM specifications, or simply using brands/models of RAM that is incompatible with the motherboard. Most motherboard vendors release a list of known compatible RAM models that have been tested to work with your motherboard. Replace the modules with a matching set of known good ones and see if you get better results.

Have you updated your Bios yet? And if not try that. 

Try to check what rams are compatible with your motherboard just to be sure. I think it might be a old bios that may not have the information for the new dimms. 

the bios is updated , im currently testing them at stock speed all 4 sticks installed . Its strange that multi-channel could be the culprit , because this is a kit of 4 so this ram is bought in the same kit 4x8 included. The strange thing is , i checked My motherboards qvl , and this specific ram is not there although almost the same ram has been tested and made it in to the qvl , but Gskills qvl has this ram tested on my motherboard and is on their qvl.

But if they make it in stock speed with out errors , should i up the voltage and maybe cpu voltage to make the ram work at 3600 ?

I had a similar issue with my first Hero XII.

At the time I had the i7 8086k/Hero X the i9 10900k replaced on a bench so I could test the ram and other components.

They all were fine. 

Then I tested with a different brand of 3200 and some 4000 as well.  The results were the same.  

I ended up returning the Hero XII and the replacement board has had no issues. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV