Is 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Medical Wipe ideal for electronic components cleaning?

Chiyawa

Hi,

Currently, I couldn't get bottled Isopropyl alcohol in my area. I wonder if the Isopropyl Alcohol wipe is a good substitute? The wipe, as the name suggest, consist of a small wet towel submerge into alcohol in the package. The shop keeper said it should be okay if you wipe the surface of your electronic equipment such as monitor display, and can use to wipe off the thermal paste from your CPU, but I'm a bit sceptical about that.

I'll be using to wipe electronic PCB, so I'm a little concern if it leaves liquid residue after wiping.

Regards,

Chiyawa

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

1 minute ago, Chiyawa said:

Currently, I couldn't get bottled Isopropyl alcohol in my area. I wonder if the Isopropyl Alcohol wipe is a good substitute? The wipe, as the name suggest, consist of a small wet towel submerge into alcohol in the package.

Entirely depends on what is in it. If it's just IPA + water, then that's fine, but if it contains any additives, then no. You should take a look at the ingredients/contents.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Hi,

Currently, I couldn't get bottled Isopropyl alcohol in my area. I wonder if the Isopropyl Alcohol wipe is a good substitute? The wipe, as the name suggest, consist of a small wet towel submerge into alcohol in the package. The shop keeper said it should be okay if you wipe the surface of your electronic equipment such as monitor display, and can use to wipe off the thermal paste from your CPU, but I'm a bit sceptical about that.

I'll be using to wipe electronic PCB, so I'm a little concern if it leaves liquid residue after wiping.

Regards,

Chiyawa

sometimes, medicated alcohol contain 40% w/w chlorohexidine gluconate for added on user friendliness. 
It usually leaves a sticky strain if applied on a surface. So, make sure it's only alcohol otherwise you might make the pcb and the components even more prone to get dirtier. 

2 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Entirely depends on what is in it. If it's just IPA + water, then that's fine, but if it contains any additives, then no. You should take a look at the ingredients/contents.

2 hours ago, S.Hamed23 said:

sometimes, medicated alcohol contain 40% w/w chlorohexidine gluconate for added on user friendliness. 
It usually leaves a sticky strain if applied on a surface. So, make sure it's only alcohol otherwise you might make the pcb and the components even more prone to get dirtier. 

Thanks to both of you.

I have check on the ingredients, and sure enough there's a few more ingredients are in the solution (one of the ingredient is citric acid). Oh well, guess I have to wait until the bottled IPA is in stock.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

you want something like this.. https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Isopropyl-Alcohol-Electronics/dp/B004SPJP5O

higher the content the better

There is no enemy. The foe on the battlefield is merely the manifestation of that which we must overcome. The doubt, and fear, and despair. Every battle is fought within. Conquer the battlefield that lies inside you, and the enemy disappears like the illusion it is.

No, 70% isopropyl alcohol is ideal for use on your hands, and for disinfecting stuff - the water helps the alcohol enter cells of bacterias, viruses, microbes etc and break them apart.

You can use it as a solvent on electronic components, to clean them, but there can be residue left caused by various additives and perfumes companies may add to the mix... and that residue can be slightly conductive, which is not good if it's gonna stick to the circuit board.

So if you want 97% or better for electronic use, ideally 99.7% or better.  You won't see 100% because isopropyl alcohol is hygroscopic, it absorbs humidity from air, and even from plastic containers it's in ... 

In the meantime, you could look for acetone ... or nail polish remover (but without perfumes and additives). Acetone is a bit stronger than isopropyl alcohol, it's very good solvent, just avoid wiping plastic sleeves, or areas with printed text (it's solvent enough that the paint / ink of printed text could be smudged) ... if you don't care about that, then you can use it anywhere.

Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/Acetone-Nail-Polish-Remover-Ounce/dp/B014FPMOZY/

You may find it in pharmacies or beauty / women sections.

Oh and as it's a bit stronger solvent, if you use it for a long time, try to open the windows a bit after you use it or ventilate your room ... the fumes can make you dizzy and they're not good for you ...

11 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Nobody likes a watered down IPA...

/s

The higher concentration of alcohol you have, the better. 

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

2 minutes ago, FakeATF said:

Nobody likes a watered down IPA...

/s

Well, I don't like even the non-watered-down stuff 😜

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

On 4/30/2021 at 11:16 PM, mariushm said:

In the meantime, you could look for acetone ... or nail polish remover (but without perfumes and additives). Acetone is a bit stronger than isopropyl alcohol, it's very good solvent, just avoid wiping plastic sleeves, or areas with printed text (it's solvent enough that the paint / ink of printed text could be smudged) ... if you don't care about that, then you can use it anywhere.

Thanks for your suggestion. Usually, my pharmacy or supermarket only sells small bottle of acetone for consumers. Professional acetone are quite limited in my area as well.

On 4/30/2021 at 11:16 PM, mariushm said:

So if you want 97% or better for electronic use, ideally 99.7% or better.  You won't see 100% because isopropyl alcohol is hygroscopic, it absorbs humidity from air, and even from plastic containers it's in ... 

Okay. I'll be sure to use this as my guideline for all my IPA for electronics need.

On 4/30/2021 at 11:07 PM, unsungheroist said:

you want something like this.. https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Isopropyl-Alcohol-Electronics/dp/B004SPJP5O

higher the content the better

I usually use this as it is readily available from electronic shops in my area. http://www.kontaktchemie.com/KOC/KOCproductdetail.csp?product=KONTAKT WL

Just that due to pandemic, shipments of those stuff to Malaysia is getting worse.