3570k Too much voltage??

Hey guys, I recently bought a Hyper 212 Evo cooler and have started trying to overclock my 3570k. Although I can have it stable at 4.5 on the desktop whenever I game I get random crashes, unless, I ramp up the dynamic vcore in my bios settings. At full load I'm reaching 1.392v which I consider to be quite high, the temps aren't going above 85 degrees during a Prime95 test so that's nothing to worry about. Is it safe to be running 1.392v on a 24/7 overclock? Bear in mind that it's dynamic vcore I've set so when idle I'm using around 0.960v.

post-47333-0-26173400-1396128847.png

don't use dynamic vcore.

set your static vcore to about 1.35 and go for 4.6GHz . bear in mind im just guessing value so experiment yourself 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

It's not 24/7 unless your cpu is being fed that voltage all the time. That is pretty high though.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Hey guys, I recently bought a Hyper 212 Evo cooler and have started trying to overclock my 3570k. Although I can have it stable at 4.5 on the desktop whenever I game I get random crashes, unless, I ramp up the dynamic vcore in my bios settings. At full load I'm reaching 1.392v which I consider to be quite high, the temps aren't going above 85 degrees during a Prime95 test so that's nothing to worry about. Is it safe to be running 1.392v on a 24/7 overclock? Bear in mind that it's dynamic vcore I've set so when idle I'm using around 0.960v.

It's not 24/7 unless your cpu is being fed that voltage all the time. That is pretty high though.

The intel spec for the 3570k says that 1.5v and below is fine.

don't use dynamic vcore.

set your static vcore to about 1.35 and go for 4.6GHz . bear in mind im just guessing value so experiment yourself

I would set the vcore itself but my computer is on pretty much all the time so is it wise to have a static vcore as much as even 1.3 when my PC is on for days on end? I'm relatively new to this so I may be missing something so feel free to give me any advice you have haha.

Doesnt CPU throttle itself at 85C? Also how long did you run prime95? And as someone said, use static vcore not dynamic...

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

I wouln't recommend 1.39v for 24/7 use

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Doesnt CPU throttle itself at 85C? Also how long did you run prime95? And as someone said, use static vcore not dynamic..

I will go try a static vcore. The temps on Prime95 were after quite a number of hours, 8 or so, and whilst gaming it's not going over 70 degrees so no throttling in 'real life' situations anyway.

I would set the vcore itself but my computer is on pretty much all the time so is it wise to have a static vcore as much as even 1.3 when my PC is on for days on end? I'm relatively new to this so I may be missing something so feel free to give me any advice you have haha.

mine is at 1.35V and this is heavy 24/7 use.

3D rendering and things like that. Also give Intel Burn Test and OCCT a go. i find them better anyway

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I am now set at a static 1.320v and running Prime95 for 10 minutes I'm reaching 83 degrees max (only on one core the rest are all below 80, there's always one) :P

I'll go try Far Cry 3 for a bit and report back. Is there any other cpu stress test that can show up if any errors better than Prime95? Or is the crashing down to game optimisation and it's just sensitive to an overclock?

I am now set at a static 1.320v and running Prime95 for 10 minutes I'm reaching 83 degrees max (only on one core the rest are all below 80, there's always one) :P

I'll go try Far Cry 3 for a bit and report back. Is there any other cpu stress test that can show up if any errors better than Prime95? Or is the crashing down to game optimisation and it's just sensitive to an overclock?

what cpu speed?

4.5 mate. 4.4 is stable but I really want that 4.5 haha

so 4.5 is not stable?

if not increase the v core a little.

so 4.5 is not stable?

if not increase the v core a little.

This will be the first time I'm trying with a static vcore so just testing it now. You think it's safe up to 3.5v yeah?

This will be the first time I'm trying with a static vcore so just testing it now. You think it's safe up to 3.5v yeah?

highest safe for anybody would be 1.35. 

highest safe for anybody would be 1.35.

Sorry that was a typo I meant 1.35. My VTT is set to 1.000 and PLL to 1.550. These seem ok to everybody? I lowered them a bit from the default to try get better temps. Thanks for all the quick replies btw. Just away to test OCCT.

Sorry that was a typo I meant 1.35. My VTT is set to 1.000 and PLL to 1.550. These seem ok to everybody? I lowered them a bit from the default to try get better temps. Thanks for all the quick replies btw. Just away to test OCCT.

personally never touched those but if it works for you then that's great.

experimentation is how you find out what works best for you.

Keep getting this error message during testing with OCCT, added a screenshot and all info needed should be there. The test carries on in the background though. I don't have any overclock on my mem.

post-47333-0-82140200-1396131954_thumb.p

post-47333-0-97734100-1396132006_thumb.p

I have no idea why there is two screenshots, they are both the same before anyone starts playing spot the difference ;)

leave vtt on auto. set pll to 1.75-1.8v for stability. That 1-3C difference when lowering pll voltage isn't worth the possible instability.

Oh and you said dynamic vcore. very cool stuff there when you get it tuned. heres a tip, do not use LLC when using an offset voltage.

leave vtt on auto. set pll to 1.75-1.8v for stability. That 1-3C difference when lowering pll voltage isn't worth the possible instability.

Oh and you said dynamic vcore. very cool stuff there when you get it tuned. heres a tip, do not use LLC when using an offset voltage.

Sorry, LLC? Is that a bios setting as I can't seem to see it anywhere? I've ended up setting a static vcore at the moment. It seems to be stable at 3.5v funny how it isn't when using dynamic vcore!

Found your problem, that's in bold. Put the PLL to 1.80V back (which is default and lock it to 1.80 so it doesnt exceed that value), with a lower pll voltage you're going to have to put more vcore behind your cpu. Lately a guy here on this forum made the same mistake setting the pll voltage to 1.70V and requiring 1.50V orsomething for 4.5GHz.

Leave vtt on auto.

Found your problem, that's in bold. Put the PLL to 1.80V back (which is default and lock it to 1.80 so it doesnt exceed that value), with a lower pll voltage you're going to have to put more vcore behind your cpu. Lately a guy here on this forum made the same mistake setting the pll voltage to 1.70V and requiring 1.50V orsomething for 4.5GHz.

Leave vtt on auto.

Thanks, that's exactly what I have done. Is it possible to push up the PLL? Will this improve stability? Reason I ask is I had a wee gaming session there and I got 45 minutes with Far Cry 3 and then it crashed. Obviously just needs a little more but my vcore is now set at 1.350v so don't want to push that anymore.

Thanks, that's exactly what I have done. Is it possible to push up the PLL? Will this improve stability? Reason I ask is I had a wee gaming session there and I got 45 minutes with Far Cry 3 and then it crashed. Obviously just needs a little more but my vcore is now set at 1.350v so don't want to push that anymore.

No just lock the PLL to 1.80V and dont touch it anymore. The default PLL voltage is 1.80V and you undervolted it to 1.550V.

Try now starting from 1.25Vcore and go up.