thoughts on a build i did for my sons first gaming pc

Budget (including currency): 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

He plays apex legends and wanted to build him his own gaming rig moving away from console any thoughts he mainly plays apex legends and fortnite(Some of these pieces i had left over from my personal rig upgrades)

14 minutes ago, deadlysavage said:

wanted to build him his own gaming rig moving away from console any thoughts he mainly plays apex legends and fortnite(Some of these pieces i had left over from my personal rig upgrades)

When is his birthday? Also, actual budget estimate would be nice.

I wanna know the former because that GPU is massively overpriced, and its expected to finally stabilize by december or q1 of next year (around march)

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

yeah his birthday is in july we didnt really have a budget mainly cause we have alot saved up and just wanted to give him his own space with a gaming pc.I bought this prebuilt from bestbuy but the case had so many problems and the motherboard they used offered almost no upgrade potental so i ripped the gpu out of it with the storage devices and basically built him a new one

The cpu that you have selected is for overclocking and if you are over clocking then you need better as stock cooler won't give enough cooling

4 hours ago, deadlysavage said:

Budget (including currency): 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

He plays apex legends and wanted to build him his own gaming rig moving away from console any thoughts he mainly plays apex legends and fortnite(Some of these pieces i had left over from my personal rig upgrades)

Ye as already said by @SorryClaire that GPU is very overpriced but I know it is hard to find GPUs these days. 

What is the price for the R5 3500x ? 

For a low/mid-range build I would recommend Intel over AMD. 

Intel latest i5 CPUs have good performance at a very low price. 

i5-11400 beats R5 3600 in basically all benchmarks at a lower price.

3500x does not have hyperthreading which is a big downside. 

Match the i5-11400 with a decent B560 motherboard. 

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

so i ripped the gpu out of it with the storage devices and basically built him a new one

And the GPU is the 3060 mentioned in the build list in your original post?

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

yeah his birthday is in july we didnt really have a budget mainly cause we have alot saved up and just wanted to give him his own space with a gaming pc.I bought this prebuilt from bestbuy but the case had so many problems and the motherboard they used offered almost no upgrade potental so i ripped the gpu out of it with the storage devices and basically built him a new one

6 minutes ago, Boyohan said:

Ye as already said by @SorryClaire that GPU is very overpriced but I know it is hard to find GPUs these days. 

What is the price for the R5 3500x ? 

For a low/mid-range build I would recommend Intel over AMD. 

Intel latest i5 CPUs have good performance at a very low price. 

i5-11400 beats R5 3600 in basically all benchmarks at a lower price.

3500x does not have hyperthreading which is a big downside. 

Match the i5-11400 with a decent B560 motherboard. 

I think I misunderstood your post 🙂...

Have you already bought and completed the build ? 

Regardless of my recommendation the 3500x isn't by any means a bad CPU and it should be good for at least a couple of years maybe more. 

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

Yeah i finished the build i was aiming towards 3600x but yeah initally i just wanted him to have his own pc and space and i thought i could just get him a prebuilt and call it good but they put it in a pretty cheap and crap MB with a case with almost no airflow so i decided to just get him a few pieces and rip the gpu out.He seems to be getting good performance in the games he plays(Only thing ive seen him play is apex legends at 1080p and rainbow six seige)Im sure i could have went cheaper tho just wanted to see peoples opinion on the build and hope i haven't upset anyone i know the gpu shortage is really bothering alot of people