Should I turn off MCE ??

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

I did respond to the PM.

Which I will state the comment here.

If you can handle the fan noise, leave MCE on. If not, turn it off. 

The 10900K is just a hot chip by nature.

100c is throttle temp. If you don't hit this temp, you have nothing to worry over.

For context, I be building my PC this week. So I be running on 

Maximus XIII 
Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200mhz (2X 16GB) 
Arctic Liquid Freezer 360mm 
STRIX RTX 2080 Super ( re using it from current system ) 

I must mention, I be mainly using my PC for strictly gaming only. Nothing else. Not really fan of OCing either. 
Yes I know I have a Maximus Z590 board....don't ask it's complicated, let's leave it there. 
So I'm still confused with MCE, I've tried searching YouTube for comparison, but I found none...as I know MCE will definitely consume way more power that Intel intended the CPU to and thus more heat  as well. 
I would prefer to avoid this if possible....if the FPS gain is just mediocre....

So should I turn it ON or OFF or any specific setting ?? 
As I saw for ASUS boards it's super confusing, there's Auto, Enable, Disable....what does what lol ?? 

Lastly I wanted to ask, I notice there are like two X.M.P Profiles now ??? What's the different ??? 
I didn't see this on my PC, but I saw it once in a YouTube video, which is also a Maximus board. 

This is something you should test for yourself. Someone else's benchmarks are only vaguely going to apply to you since there is a lot of variation when it comes to silicon. Make note of any worthwhile increase in performance and judge if the additional heat (which that cooler is more than capable of handling) and power consumption are worth it to you.

That 360mm should be able to tame it, but as @Den-Fisays, weight your risk-reward. If your PSU is quite tight on the wattage, i wouldnt turn it on, it would just shut off the PC from all the power spikes.

49 minutes ago, gh0st47 said:

Lastly I wanted to ask, I notice there are like two X.M.P Profiles now ??? What's the different ???

some RAM and board love to pack another in case you have a good or bad bin, so you can try that if profile 1 is unstable.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

You'll be running hotter and with more voltage than you would had you otherwise done the same overclock yourself, but it will probably be fine.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

mce is just an inefficient oc, turn it off unless you wanna leave everything else on auto.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

3 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

That 360mm should be able to tame it, but as @Den-Fisays, weight your risk-reward. If your PSU is quite tight on the wattage, i wouldnt turn it on, it would just shut off the PC from all the power spikes.

some RAM and board love to pack another in case you have a good or bad bin, so you can try that if profile 1 is unstable.

Hmm I think my PSU should be fine. It's a SuperFlower 1000W Leadex Platinum, but as I know SuperFlower have a few generation already.
I haven't actually unbox it yet, not sure if it's one of those really old versions ( not sure if it even matters ). Because the price I paid for it was rather cheap. 

4 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

This is something you should test for yourself. Someone else's benchmarks are only vaguely going to apply to you since there is a lot of variation when it comes to silicon. Make note of any worthwhile increase in performance and judge if the additional heat (which that cooler is more than capable of handling) and power consumption are worth it to you.

Hmm I suspected this much. I guess I have to gauge it myself like you said.
But can someone explain to me on the ASUS board the MCE settings, I guess Disable is pretty much self explanatory. 
But what's the different of Auto and Enable ?? As I know by Default, it's on Auto which is also considered as On, but if that's the case, what does Enable even do ? It only written as Remove All Limits, while Auto is Let BIOS Optimize...

If I were to guess. Auto is ASUS's setting, while Enable is....just let what the CPU does whatever it wants ?? 

5 hours ago, gh0st47 said:

Enable is....just let what the CPU does whatever it wants ??

Yep.

6 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

You'll be running hotter and with more voltage than you would had you otherwise done the same overclock yourself, but it will probably be fine.

Got any sauce to this? Ive been wondering about this since 10th gen introduce it.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

18 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Yep.

Got any sauce to this? Ive been wondering about this since 10th gen introduce it.

MCE has been a thing for at least 8th gen - in 8th and 9th gen, it would just remove power limits and lock all core to the single-core turbo.

It's a bit different with 10th gen, as MCE IIRC won't take into consideration TVB, so I believe MCE on 10900K is only 52x? 

On my 8700k, it set all cores to 4.7ghz (its factory single core turbo) and applied a whopping 1.42v.

I only need 1.375v for 5ghz with a manual OC, and 1.42 gets me 5.1ghz.

If I do the "gaming enhancement" or whatever on my Z590, it will try to do 5.3ghz all-core at some absurd voltage like 1.56v.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, Mister Woof said:

On my 8700k, it set all cores to 4.7ghz (its factory single core turbo) and applied a whopping 1.42v.

I only need 1.375v for 5ghz with a manual OC, and 1.42 gets me 5.1ghz.

Gotcha, so the usual Auto OC fallacy but even worse, i wouldnt run at 1.42 as a daily.

1 minute ago, Mister Woof said:

MCE has been a thing for at least 8th gen - in 8th and 9th gen, it would just remove power limits and lock all core to the single-core turbo.

Wasnt it named like SViD or something like that in 8th and 9th? Theyre the same as MCE huh?

19 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Gotcha, so the usual Auto OC fallacy but even worse, i wouldnt run at 1.42 as a daily.

Wasnt it named like SViD or something like that in 8th and 9th? Theyre the same as MCE huh?

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3077-explaining-coffee-lake-turbo-8700k-8600k

Hey guys, so I built my PC. Everything is up and running. 
So far so good. 

For now I'm just using everything Default with MCE on Auto and XMP Profile I ( there are two Profiles so I choose number one ). 
In games it seems to run " Fine " or least on Doom, it barely heat up much. 

But on Cinebench the thing went up to a whopping 80C or so. It even caused my CPU cooler fans to ramp to the max. 
It was around 1.35V or so. But ALL Clocks were all at 4.9 Ghz. Consuming a whopping 220W....

I thought I just leave it for now and see how it goes. But even on Desktop, say I'm installing games via STEAM ( not download, but install since I brought the games over from my old drives I just have to " install " it ) the CPU will easily spike up to 60C ++ 
At times pumping much as 1.3 - 1.4V....

As I mentioned I'm using a Arctic Liquid Freezer II 3600mm with Fractal Design Meshify 2. Airflow is good the CPU cooler should be powerful enough.
I've even make sure I have enough thermal paste ( well a slight bigger pea size ). 

I think it's the CPU itself running too hot right ? Ain't my cooling solution. 
Though I live in a rather hot country, my room temps are easily 30C - 31C on worst days, 32C - 33C. Sadly no A/C. 

Was wondering, is there a " Proper " way to use MCE ?? 

1 minute ago, gh0st47 said:

But on Cinebench the thing went up to a whopping 80C or so. It even caused my CPU cooler fans to ramp to the max. 
It was around 1.35V or so. But ALL Clocks were all at 4.9 Ghz. Consuming a whopping 220W....

I thought I just leave it for now and see how it goes. But even on Desktop, say I'm installing games via STEAM ( not download, but install since I brought the games over from my old drives I just have to " install " it ) the CPU will easily spike up to 60C ++ 
At times pumping much as 1.3 - 1.4V....

As I mentioned I'm using a Arctic Liquid Freezer II 3600mm with Fractal Design Meshify 2. Airflow is good the CPU cooler should be powerful enough.
I've even make sure I have enough thermal paste ( well a slight bigger pea size ). 

I think it's the CPU itself running too hot right ? Ain't my cooling solution. 
Though I live in a rather hot country, my room temps are easily 30C - 31C on worst days, 32C - 33C. Sadly no A/C. 

Cinebench produces a LOT of heat, so that's normal, plus the 10900K is a hot chip.

Steam CPU temps are normal as well - when downloading Steam games you're not just downloading data, you're also uncompressing it. So nothing's wrong here.

elephants

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Cinebench produces a LOT of heat, so that's normal, plus the 10900K is a hot chip.

Steam CPU temps are normal as well - when downloading Steam games you're not just downloading data, you're also uncompressing it. So nothing's wrong here.

This is just scary. Because I just moved from my 1700X to 10900K, I was aiming for 5900X well due to the stock issue.
I'm lucky to even get a 10900K at MSRP ! 5900X was going for around 800$ USD here...not kidding...

But any advice, how to tweak MCE if I plan to use it ?? As I can see there are quite a few settings related to it. 
I'm on a Maximus XIII board btw. 

Just now, gh0st47 said:

But any advice, how to tweak MCE if I plan to use it ?? As I can see there are quite a few settings related to it. 
I'm on a Maximus XIII board btw. 

Absolutely no idea. I have a Strix B350-F and a Ryzen 5 3600, and all I've done for tweaking is a RAM overclock to 3333 from 3200. @ShrimpBrime may know though.

elephants

Oh OK but Tks for the replies. I will try contacting Shrimp see if he could help. 

I did respond to the PM.

100c is throttle temp. If you don't hit this temp, you have nothing to worry over.

5 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I did respond to the PM.

Tks for the reply, Really appreciate it.