What are some good 3D Printer Recomendations

grimreeper132

Hey, so I have a couple of stupid projects I would like to try and for them I need a 3D printer so whats a decent 3D printer that meets the following specs. I am willing to build it myself so thats not a problem

Main Requirements (this can't be compromised on)

Max £500, but round £200-300 is much prefered

Should be able to print 2 materials simultaniously
Filament Fed (PLA and ABS and Weird PLA composite types e.g. Wood Filament)
Should have a nice finish (I am willing to sand etc but a nice finsih is nice)

Print Bed should be at least 200 mm by 200 mm (bigger is fine, smaller is ok, but as long as its by only 10 mm or so)

Additional Requirements/Nice to haves (I would love for it to meet all of these but drop them if the price becomes stupid)
Able to print the 2 different materials through 2 different nozzles
Able to print Metal (especially copper)
Accurate, more acurate the better
Hot Bed

Able to print small sections (e.g. able to print something thats 0.2 mm wide, at the moment however 1mm probably is fine)

Thanks in advance for help, any questions just ask and I will answer as much as possible

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

If it's just a couple of small projects you may want to go check your local library. Here in the US several of them offer "maker spaces" with utilities such as 3D printing, CNC, etc.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

You're asking a lot of your potential machine.

If anything, you could get an Ender 3 V2 / Ender 5 and just upgrade the hell out of it. An E3D Chimera as an upgrade with their stainless steel/nozzle X nozzles (as you want to print abrasives) would fulfill the print two things requirements -- though that would require firmware changes and most likely, you'd need to upgrade the mainboard.

And, as you want to print abrasives, that somewhat limits your choices. With a requirement for 0.2mm wall thickness you'd want a 0.15 or 0.2mm nozzle, but it's not recommended to print abrasives through such a small nozzle due to the increased risks of clogs.

Why do you need to print 2 materials simultaneously? Is it inherent to your design? Or can the part be changed in such a way as to avoid this requirement?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

The dual extruder requirement pretty much blows your budget straight away and severely restricts your choices.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

22 minutes ago, ImAlsoRan said:

If it's just a couple of small projects you may want to go check your local library. Here in the US several of them offer "maker spaces" with utilities such as 3D printing, CNC, etc.

Unforchantly I don't  know of any places like that in scotland.

18 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

You're asking a lot of your potential machine.

If anything, you could get an Ender 3 V2 / Ender 5 and just upgrade the hell out of it. An E3D Chimera as an upgrade with their stainless steel/nozzle X nozzles (as you want to print abrasives) would fulfill the print two things requirements -- though that would require firmware changes and most likely, you'd need to upgrade the mainboard.

And, as you want to print abrasives, that somewhat limits your choices. With a requirement for 0.2mm wall thickness you'd want a 0.15 or 0.2mm nozzle, but it's not recommended to print abrasives through such a small nozzle due to the increased risks of clogs.

Why do you need to print 2 materials simultaneously? Is it inherent to your design? Or can the part be changed in such a way as to avoid this requirement?

yea thats fair, the design has it inherent as one will needs to be embedded in the other, its ok if they don't join as long one is inside the other. And good to know, as I said the thinness is something I can compromise on, so thats not a problem. As for modding/making my own I am open to that idea and might start looking into it, and I am open to writing my own firmware, as I am not a complete noivice on that side....... in theory we will see in practice.

8 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

The dual extruder requirement pretty much blows your budget straight away and severely restricts your choices.

Yea I did have a look and saw a couple, but yea its fair to say its not the standard.

And more, several more

7 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

Unforchantly I don't  know of any places like that in scotland.

yea thats fair, the design has it inherent as one will needs to be embedded in the other, its ok if they don't join as long one is inside the other. And good to know, as I said the thinness is something I can compromise on, so thats not a problem. As for modding/making my own I am open to that idea and might start looking into it, and I am open to writing my own firmware, as I am not a complete noivice on that side....... in theory we will see in practice.

Yea I did have a look and saw a couple, but yea its fair to say its not the standard.

If it's such that one part must slide into another, and the centre needs to be printed in a different material (say, imagine two concentric cylinders, inside in PETG and outside in PLA), you could print the core first, then when printing the outside, you can tell the printer to pause at a layer for you to then insert the core, and then continue printing to embed the core. An example to explain what I mean because I have no clue how else to say it lol

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

7 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

If it's such that one part must slide into another, and the centre needs to be printed in a different material (say, imagine two concentric cylinders, inside in PETG and outside in PLA), you could print the core first, then when printing the outside, you can tell the printer to pause at a layer for you to then insert the core, and then continue printing to embed the core. An example to explain what I mean because I have no clue how else to say it lol

Basically just when you need to extrude a new material you can manually switch them out and have the printer pause. A far more budget option.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

25 minutes ago, ImAlsoRan said:

Basically just when you need to extrude a new material you can manually switch them out and have the printer pause. A far more budget option.

Less just repeatedly pausing and swapping materials, and more inserting another printed part like you would if you paused a print to insert a bearing.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

27 minutes ago, ImAlsoRan said:

Problem is although theoretically possible I would need to do that repeatably, to the degree it will not be fesable.

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Less just repeatedly pausing and swapping materials, and more inserting another printed part like you would if you paused a print to insert a bearing.

As I said above the two materials are far to intertwined to do that, so the swaping of materials would be required, but it would happen too often to be practical

And more, several more

Then yeah, not much choice but to either go with a dual extruder printer, or a single extruder one plus https://www.mosaicmfg.com/products/palette-3

And get ready for lots of tweaking. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2