Is this PSU enough to power a R9 280x

alby800

Hello :) This is my first post on any forums so please forgive me if I am doing anything wrong

My parents bought a computer about 2-3 years ago back when I had no idea about computers, for example I thought that a gaming computer was an alienware (please forgive me I was only 12 :P).

Now I know a bit more about computers - I am saving up to build my own - there is a deal on right now at PC case gear for an r9 280x for $329 ($79 off) and this is what I am planning to get for my computer, but I don't want to buy it and keep it in storage until I buy the rest of the system so I was wondering whether or not the one that my parents bought could handle the awesomeness of a 280x. Here is the specs

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3 (I think)

CPU: Intel core I5 2500

GPU: NVidia gt 630 (Gigabyte)

RAM: 8 Gigs (2x4, something from corsair)

STORAGE: 1TB (again not sure what brand)

CASE: Antec gaming series one (I think, also is more expensive than the GPU lol)

PSU: I think I attached a picture but I am new at this so I am not sure

Thank you :)

post-53148-0-68027800-1396059877_thumb.j

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

yes but id replace it ASAP because i havnet ever seen that brand before

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Get a better quality PSU, or you will post later down telling us about how your PSU failed/exploded.  ;)

Hello :) This is my first post on any forums so please forgive me if I am doing anything wrong

My parents bought a computer about 2-3 years ago back when I had no idea about computers, for example I thought that a gaming computer was an alienware (please forgive me I was only 12 :P).

Now I know a bit more about computers - I am saving up to build my own - there is a deal on right now at PC case gear for an r9 280x for $329 ($79 off) and this is what I am planning to get for my computer, but I don't want to buy it and keep it in storage until I buy the rest of the system so I was wondering whether or not the one that my parents bought could handle the awesomeness of a 280x. Here is the specs

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3 (I think)

CPU: Intel core I5 2500

GPU: NVidia gt 630 (Gigabyte)

RAM: 8 Gigs (2x4, something from corsair)

STORAGE: 1TB (again not sure what brand)

CASE: Antec gaming series one (I think, also is more expensive than the GPU lol)

PSU: I think I attached a picture but I am new at this so I am not sure

Thank you :)

Aywun is an Australian brand I've used once and it stopped working after 2 weeks, so yeah, get a better one. Ahahah

SuperNova: CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k @4.6 GPU: Sapphire R290 Tri-x @1200, @1350, MOBO: MSI Z87 G45 Gaming, RAM: 16Gb HyperX Fury White @1866, PSU: CORSAIR TX750M, CASE: Arc Midi R2, SSD: Kingston 120gb SSD, 
COOLING:
H100i w/ 2x Nb eLoop 800rpm

Check out my build log Black Dawn Check out my build log Supernova

Ok thanks for the quick reply. Do you think I should still get the r9 280x at that price and just keep it in storage until I can buy my own computer :)

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

It only has 22A across the dual 12v rails, so no

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Ok thanks for the quick reply. Do you think I should still get the r9 280x at that price and just keep it in storage until I can buy my own computer :)

Get a new PSU and then buy the GPU that CPU is still fine.

That is a PSU dated back in the era where most of the system power draw comes from the 3.3/5v rail a decade and so ago... Replaced it with a proper modern unit.

Thank you but I doubt that I will be aloud to replace the PSU and the computer is not just mine (my sister relies on it for sims) AND whatever I do now will be  temperary, but I think I will still buy the 280x and just keep it until I have bought the rest of the parts to build the computer :)

Thank you but I doubt that I will be aloud to replace the PSU and the computer is not just mine (my sister relies on it for sims) AND whatever I do now will be temperary, but I think I will still buy the 280x and just keep it until I have bought the rest of the parts to build the computer :)

You could get an EVGA 600w PSU pretty cheap. It's better than having the PSU catch fire or just die. That can cause a bunch of problems.

On Aywuns' website the specs are listed as:

500W MAX Power 24pin ATX Power Supply

12cm fan

4x Molex & 4x SATA Power Connectors, 1x 6-pin PCI-Express

1.8m Power Cable

2 years warranty

Anyone who says this power supply is sufficient in this thread should be ashamed. No 80Plus. No mention of all the important stuff. This is garbage. And on top of all of that, this power supply is listed as having 1x 6-pin connector. R9 280X requires 1x 6pin and 1x 8pin. No cake, this doesn't cut it. Buy a decent PSU before you upgrade other components. Doesn't have to be $200, just something with an 80Plus rating from a reputable brand with whatever wattage you need.

• 7 months later...

@alby800 remeber this?

Yes I do, now tho is against CoC. It is thread necroing (or however you spell it)

Yes I do, now tho is against CoC. It is thread necroing (or however you spell it)

how long ago was this?

u wot m7+1

how long ago was this?

Look at the post dates--this was 7 months ago. I'm locking the thread. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.