5v Under volting tripping my pc I think -.-

DocDave
Go to solution Solved by DocDave,
2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

So it would seem that the 5v output of your power supply is below the acceptable limits. 

This could be for several reasons... from the most basic, power supply failing,  or maybe sensor on the motherboard being faulty and measuring too low,  to more complex ones like something in your computer consuming too much power on 5v (and/or 3.3v, depending on design of power supply) causing the voltage to drop. 

First step would be to grab a multimeter, preferably digital because it makes reading easier. Doesn't have to be an expensive meter, even the 3-5$ ones usually have +/- 0.1% accurancy or around +/- 0.02v error or something like that, and you don't need super precise measurements.

Set it to DC voltage and measure the 5v output of your power supply independent from the computer. An easy way to measure would be a molex connector (the old hard drive power connectors, before sata). 

The middle two holes are ground or COM (short for common), so you can put your meter's black probe there, doesn't matter which one and then on one side of the connector you have 5v and on the other side you have 12v. 

So when the motherboard reads such low voltage, put the probes in a spare molex connector and measure them manually with the multimeter. 

Your configuration is light on 5v and 3.3v power consumption ... heavy on 12v, but a 1050 watts power supply should handle 3-400 watts on 12v without causing the 5v to drop, even if it's group regulated.

Thank you, I will play around with it once my new one gets here in a day of two.

Hey Guys

I am having a weird issue where my pc is cutting off and when I turn it back on, the only thing that I see through my bios monitoring is my PSU is showing 4.49v which is highlighted red. Once it goes red the PC will then trip. I have told the bios to ignore this for the time being as I am not able to be without my pc. Does anyone have any ideas what is happening, has my PSU come to the end of its life. My pc is never off. And my main parts temps have not raised higher than they would have normally been over the life of the pc. 

My rig is the following and I have included my best guess at the age of each part. 

PSU: Gamemax 1050w 3-4 yrs old rgb verson

mobo: asus prime b450-plus 12-18 months

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 WC 6months

ram 32gb  Crucial Ballstix 3200MHz 6months

GPU AMD 5700 xt OC WC 18 months

TP-Link archer TX3000E 6 months

PCIE 4 to USB C 1 year

4 x NF-F12 pure wings 6 months

EISBALL DIGITAL RGB ACRYLIC 700ML RESERVOIR 2yrs 

4x HDD's varies

Any help would be amazing. 

TIA

David 

7 minutes ago, DocDave said:

-4.54v

You should not have -4.54V on a -5V rail!

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

13 minutes ago, DocDave said:

bios monitoring is my PSU is showing -4.54v

That means literally nothing. Software readings from the motherboard sensors are not precise or accurate enough to be useful. Just ignore them, this means nothing.

14 minutes ago, DocDave said:

the PC will then trip

In what way? Does everything instantly shut off, or do you get bluescreens, or black screens with fans and lights still running, etc.

15 minutes ago, DocDave said:

My rig is the following and I have included my best guess at the age of each part. 

PSU: Gamemax 1050w

You.... didn't include the age of the PSU. Regardless of age, it's probably a decent idea to dispose of it anyway. Gamemax has two 1050W PSUs on the 80+ website (GM and RGB), neither of which can output full power on the 12V rail, meaning they are likely group regulated, i.e. trash.

:)

14 minutes ago, Vishera said:

You should not have -4.54V on a -5V rail!

Sorry I miss spoke, I went back into my bios, it drops below 4.49vs and then trips

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

That means literally nothing. Software readings from the motherboard sensors are not precise or accurate enough to be useful. Just ignore them, this means nothing.

In what way? Does everything instantly shut off, or do you get bluescreens, or black screens with fans and lights still running, etc.

You.... didn't include the age of the PSU. Regardless of age, it's probably a decent idea to dispose of it anyway. Gamemax has two 1050W PSUs on the 80+ website (GM and RGB), neither of which can output full power on the 12V rail, meaning they are likely group regulated, i.e. trash.

So the PC trips, the power instally cut from the wall, im showing now power draw at all. And have to turn the PSU off at the wall to restart the pc. After I set the monitoring to ignore the 5v I havent had any further issues.

I am searching for a replacement as I type. Thank you. 

So it would seem that the 5v output of your power supply is below the acceptable limits. 

This could be for several reasons... from the most basic, power supply failing,  or maybe sensor on the motherboard being faulty and measuring too low,  to more complex ones like something in your computer consuming too much power on 5v (and/or 3.3v, depending on design of power supply) causing the voltage to drop. 

First step would be to grab a multimeter, preferably digital because it makes reading easier. Doesn't have to be an expensive meter, even the 3-5$ ones usually have +/- 0.1% accurancy or around +/- 0.02v error or something like that, and you don't need super precise measurements.

Set it to DC voltage and measure the 5v output of your power supply independent from the computer. An easy way to measure would be a molex connector (the old hard drive power connectors, before sata). 

The middle two holes are ground or COM (short for common), so you can put your meter's black probe there, doesn't matter which one and then on one side of the connector you have 5v and on the other side you have 12v. 

So when the motherboard reads such low voltage, put the probes in a spare molex connector and measure them manually with the multimeter. 

Your configuration is light on 5v and 3.3v power consumption ... heavy on 12v, but a 1050 watts power supply should handle 3-400 watts on 12v without causing the 5v to drop, even if it's group regulated.

5v is used by the circuit board in your hard drive, by the chipset on your motherboard

if it's too low, it could cause random problems like maybe the hdd controller on one of the hard drives sending corrupted data to the computer due to too low voltage.

The onboard audio and network card are most likely powered from 5v through on motherboard voltage regulators... again, too low voltage could cause those voltage regulators to stop working and basically turn off the sound card or network card and you would get freezes or devices disappearing in Windows...

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Thank you, I will play around with it once my new one gets here in a day of two.