Is it possible to run Linux/Windows on an android tablet?

pepeshki

I have an android tablet and it's currently doing nothing. I wanted to see is it possible to run a desktop OS on the tablet. The specs are: 

CPU: Intel Atom Z3745, Quad-core 1.86 GHz
GPU: Intel Gen 7 (Ivy Bridge)

RAM: 2 GB

ROM: 16 GB

Screen: 1920 x 1200

Model: Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 - 1050L

It has to be an old version of the OS to run properly.

1 minute ago, WaddlesTM said:

It has to be an old version of the OS to run properly.

Such as?

2 minutes ago, pepeshki said:

I have an android tablet and it's currently doing nothing. I wanted to see is it possible to run a desktop OS on the tablet. The specs are: 

CPU: Intel Atom Z3745, Quad-core 1.86 GHz
GPU: Intel Gen 7 (Ivy Bridge)

RAM: 2 GB

ROM: 16 GB

Screen: 1920 x 1200

Model: Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 - 1050L

Your tablet runs on an x86 based processor. You should be able to run some linux distros just fine, albeit at less than optimal performance. Windows would need specific drivers. The core functions would work but wifi, the thouch screen etc. may not work. You can try if you like but you probably cannot swith back to android unless you have a working copy of the original android installation.

windows... unlikely, 16GB storage space is just NOT enough..

as for linux.. it's an x86 processor, so it'll probably work.

your biggest issue here will be actually getting the OS on the device. i doubt it'll allow booting from USB install media...

1 minute ago, Applefreak said:

Your tablet runs on an x86 based processor. You should be able to run some linux distros just fine, albeit at less than optimal performance. Windows would need specific drivers. The core functions would work but wifi, the thouch screen etc. may not work. You can try if you like but you probably cannot swith back to android unless you have a working copy of the original android installation.

But how im supposed to install it in the first place?

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

windows... unlikely, 16GB storage space is just NOT enough..

as for linux.. it's an x86 processor, so it'll probably work.

your biggest issue here will be actually getting the OS on the device. i doubt it'll allow booting from USB install media...

it is just an android tablet, so I don't think it can boot from USB

9 hours ago, pepeshki said:

Honestly, no idea. I haven't tried it yet. Maybe there is some way with the debug mode via USB? 

22 hours ago, pepeshki said:

You can use PC to thether and use tools just like you would with installing custom ROMs. The question really becomes, has anyone made bootloader that could support installing from ISO instead of DMG. And I can already say that finding anything for Lenovo tablets is hard. They are not that popular compared to Samsung or Asus stuff.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I suppose so, seeing as it's already on an open source system, and as far as I know, most open source systems allow other ones to be installed in their place. I do recommend saving all your data (obviously), because if it fails, you could end up with a completely blank device, no system or anything, and installing a new system in place of the old one will remove the old one anyway, as you probably already know.  Assuming said tablet has CD/USB ports, the process should be fairly straightforward, provided you have access to the BIOS so you can boot from whichever input you are using. If you can afford Windows 10, then that would likely be your best bet, otherwise just use Linux, but make sure the system is touchscreen-friendly first. And yes, you can get Android from the web, so if all else fails, it's still readily available (although they make it incredibly difficult to install).