In search for a build that offers high performance, but draws less then 100W

Budget (including currency): <1000€

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Project Deployment and Virtualization

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

The most Important part for me is Power consumption.

My current Setup draw less than 100W, but offers only mediocore performance with 8 cores, that said I hope to build a rig that is Powerfull (again at least 8 cores) and be as low power consuming as it gets.

• I have stock of old Ram (DDR3, DDR4, soDimms and normal dimms, also ecc, in my storage)
  • also I got a box full of 2-4TB Hard drives and many ssds, which I got over the years.
  • As for the Case, I do still have some 2HE and 4 HE cases laying around

ps. I had already asked a similar question, but in that post I inquired about a specific board offered by supermicro,

that being said, Id like to see different custom builds whether its possible in that price range

Some members already mentioned the Ryzen 9 3900X, and undervolt/clock it to 60W, that is definetly tempting, but since Im not an ethusiast when it comes to modifying core clock and voltage, Id rather not play around with these stuffs.

Thank you

Buy a laptop.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Buy a laptop.

I'll disregard the comment, and act as you've not written that.

Please give decent answers

1 minute ago, Haraikomono said:

I'll disregard the comment, and act as you've not written that.

Please give decent answers

Why? He/she gave a suggestion that would fit your requirements perfectly. 

Maybe look into the newest Ryzen 5x00ge which have a 35w TDP, or even or 5x00g cpus with 65w tdp that you could downclock.

They'll only be sold to OEMs for now, but you could buy a small oem computer with it.

see:

AMD Ryzen 5000G APUs: OEM Only For Now, Full Release Later This Year

image.png.14fdd0c7f532700da17bde2b84cca62f.png

Other stuff that comes to mind ... those mini pcs ... Servethehome has a collection of videos about such systems, and they recently did review some models with the Ryzen 4xxxg cpus.

Here's the playlist :

Just now, rickeo said:

Why? He/she gave a suggestion that would fit your requirements perfectly. 

Could you compare the performance a cpu like epyc 3251 or the 3900x of lets say a passmark score of around 20000 or more,  to an laptop that costs under 1000$ ?

If so, Id love to hear a laptop offering that kind of performance, since I'd be gladly buying 3 of those for our office

Just now, Haraikomono said:

Could you compare the performance a cpu like epyc 3251 or the 3900x of lets say a passmark score of around 20000 or more,  to an laptop that costs under 1000$ ?

If so, Id love to hear a laptop offering that kind of performance, since I'd be gladly buying 3 of those for our office

You're not getting those scores on a system with a total wattage limit of 100w. 

I'm not seeing how you think you can. 

You're 100w limit is the problem here, not the CPU performance. 

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Maybe look into the newest Ryzen 5x00ge which have a 35w TDP, or even or 5x00g cpus with 65w tdp that you could downclock.

They'll only be sold to OEMs for now, but you could buy a small oem computer with it.

see:

these are actually looking pretty decent

Thank you

Yeah, i added to my post but you probably won't scroll back so again...

Have a look at Servethehome's playlist here with micro / tiny computers...  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC53fzn9608B-MT5KvuuHct5MiUDO8IF4

They reviewed a bunch of Ryzen based models and some with the 10th and 11th gen Intel cpus.  Some of these come with 120+ watts bricks / adapters but that's simply if you go balls out with 2 drives, 32/64 GB of memory and other things installed ... the regular power consumption is way below 100w.

21 minutes ago, Haraikomono said:

My current Setup draw less than 100W, but offers only mediocore performance

That's why. You're wanting two things that are contradictory: high performance and low power draw. Performance is proportional to power draw. The more performance, the more power.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 minute ago, Chris Pratt said:

That's why. You're wanting two things that are contradictory. Performance is proportional to power draw. The more performance, the more power.

youre not considering the efficiency of the cpu

Just now, Haraikomono said:

Efficiency has limits. For example, the 5000-series AMD CPUs are more efficient than the 3000-series, but high performance still requires high power. You can get slightly lower high power, if that makes sense, but there's a very real limit.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

4 minutes ago, Haraikomono said:

A CPU can only be so efficient. My 3800x (8 cores, as you said) can draw 95w alone when it wants, to, and then you have to consider literally every other part of the system, especially the GPU. A laptop really would be your best bet in this situation, for the performance you desire. Either that or abandon the 100w limit. Why do you need it anyways?

Edited by TitanMaster57
Extra info

The reality of buying a system with very specific needs like these is that you have to compromise somewhere, either with the power consumption, or the horsepower that the CPU provides.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

the 5700GE is probably your best bet if you can find one.

or as others said, a laptop cpu, since they are optimised for low power and high efficiency. it doesn't need to be a laptop, it can be a mini pc with a laptop cpu.

a ryzen 5800u draws 15w

5 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

the 5700GE is probably your best bet if you can find one.

or as others said, a laptop cpu, since they are optimised for low power and high efficiency. it doesn't need to be a laptop, it can be a mini pc with a laptop cpu.

a ryzen 5800u draws 15w

most likely

25 minutes ago, mariushm said:

see:

Other stuff that comes to mind ... those mini pcs ... Servethehome has a collection of videos about such systems, and they recently did review some models with the Ryzen 4xxxg cpus.

Here's the playlist :

though I checked the platform for enterprise customers at our company, even we havent gotten any hold of the cpus yet.

well, thats to be expeceted I guess. I'll buy a Ryzen 7 5700 GE, or the 4700GE.

Thank you

I'm confused over the 100w requirement now. We know that the listed TDP doesn't mean that the CPU will never pull more than that, and you haven't accounted for any other devices in the system and their power draw.

If all you wanted was a CPU with <100W TDP that would have been a much easier task, however you're OP seems to make it seem like you want a whole system that will never pull more than 100W. 

Justy settling on a 65W TDP CPU doesn't ensure you that's what you'll get. 

4 minutes ago, rickeo said:

I'm confused over the 100w requirement now. We know that the listed TDP doesn't mean that the CPU will never pull more than that, and you haven't accounted for any other devices in the system and their power draw.

If all you wanted was a CPU with <100W TDP that would have been a much easier task, however you're OP seems to make it seem like you want a whole system that will never pull more than 100W. 

Justy settling on a 65W TDP CPU doesn't ensure you that's what you'll get. 

my psu will be an 250W PSU,

with 32gb of ram, and nvme, I hope to be able to use the system in idle at under 100W.

The CPU shows a TDP of 35W, which is pretty darn good id say

Since the System will be running 24/7, I need them to be as low power consuming as possible. (I know you might say, "huh, why not go for a server then), reson: they cost too much $$

2 minutes ago, Haraikomono said:

with 32gb of ram, and nvme, I hope to be able to use the system in idle at under 100W.

Since the System will be running 24/7, I need them to be as low power consuming as possible. (I know you might say, "huh, why not go for a server then), reson: they cost too much $$

Wait, now you're hoping that it just idles at less than 100w? This would have been very useful information for your original post. 

Generally when making requirements for power usage, you're working in terms of full system load. If you only need it to idle at less than 100w you can get away with a much more powerful CPU.

3 minutes ago, Haraikomono said:

Q1: why didn’t you say ‘at idle’ before? Idle vs Under Load is much, much different.

Q2: 250w system in 2021 is incredibly hard to do, unless you are completely abandoning a GPU, in which case I would go for an 11th gen CPU (mainly for the iGPU. Don’t expect to game well on it though). TDP is also used to calculate heat, not power draw. The question here is why you are so worried about using a lot of power where you are? Is electricity really expensive or something? I have one system mining at 200w nearly 24/7 and it don’t really matter too much to me, and my main system can consume up to 400w under load, if/when overclocked, during long sessions. So answer, please: why do you need to be using such a small amount of power?

32 minutes ago, TitanMaster57 said:

Q1: why didn’t you say ‘at idle’ before?

oops, sry